Successfully rebuilt my LR3 compressor - third times the charm.

morrisdl

Adventurer
So, I watched a youtube video and got a crazy idea that I could rebuild my compressor. http://youtu.mbe/zlr0bzLvG-o Im in a predicament with fact the new AMK compressor will not fit easily under my RS-sliders, so I thought Id give rebuilding my Hitachi a try. Ordered the dryer and pump seals kit off ebay for $75. My dryer was clogged up, but my seals looked ok. When I couldn't get mine to work, my truck was now stuck on the bump stops in my garage. I was desperate, so I stopped by the local Land Rover dealer and found a junked compressor. I dissected it and found that its piston and sleeve were MUCH tighter than mine. The problem I really had was a worn piston sleeve. I transplanted the piston and sleeve to my refreshed dryer and it purred like a kitten!!

Now that I have done the rebuild, I have proven that just about anyone that owns metric sockets and TORX could do this. When I have to do it again, and if the slider was already off it probably only take about an hour. Funny thing, my compressor has already been replaced a couple times by land rover techs and apparently one of them didn't think the top mounting bolt is necessary (its missing). Definitely makes this job easier. While my sliders are off and getting repainted, Im going to get some dynamat and see if I can quite the compressor down some more.

My truck has burned though a 2 compressors in 2 years and I think the root cause maybe a leaky front valve block or driver side front spring. It drops 1"/day just that corner while at rest. The valve block is much cheaper, so replacing that first...Good luck!

morrisdl

Adventurer
You can search ebay for: "land rover compressor repair".
This is the kit i bought on ebay: http://goo.gl/HqphxH
Looks like the price has gone up to $85 in the last couple days.

I shopped around for the front valve block and Lucky8 was the cheapest I found. Its not even on the website - glad I emailed Justin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles