Success! Need Mitsubishi Fuso FG special tool - Desparate

FusoFG

Adventurer
I have 1993 Fuso FG439 and I desperately need the special tool for removing the lock nut on the main shaft to allow removal of the transfer case. It's part number 444090-44101. It's a 50mm thin wall deep socket.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

T Gregg

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
FUSO doesn't supply it any more? If they don't, I'd just get a commercial socket, and modify that.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
A normal long reach 50mm socket fits it, but I use a 3/4" drive one as the torque required to tension it is really high for a 1/2" drive.

Dan.
PS:- Need a set of High Speed Gears for your transfer case. I still have a set available.

GritNGrind

Do you have access to a machine lathe to take some material off the wall of a standard socket? Just a thought. May work if you use a hardened socket like one designed for impact wrenches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FusoFG

Adventurer
FUSO doesn't supply it any more? If they don't, I'd just get a commercial socket, and modify that.

OTC Tools / Bosch Automotive Services was the maker of the tool and it's now obsolete because the FG with low range isn't available any more. I have a 50mm deep impact socket on order and will try to modify it.

Thanks

A normal long reach 50mm socket fits it, but I use a 3/4" drive one as the torque required to tension it is really high for a 1/2" drive.

Dan.
PS:- Need a set of High Speed Gears for your transfer case. I still have a set available.

When you say normal long reach 50mm socket do you have a brand name / part number that you know will work?

What is the outside diameter of the sock that fits so i know how much material to remove?

The impact socket I have on order is 3/4". My 1992 workshop manual calls for 500 - 800 lb ft of torque but I've seen a 2004 manual that calls for 335 lb ft. Do you know which is right?

Do you have access to a machine lathe to take some material off the wall of a standard socket? Just a thought. May work if you use a hardened socket like one designed for impact wrenches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanic helping me has access to a lathe at the local Tractor dealership and a welder I used recommended grinding vs turning. Any suggestions?

I want to thank everybody that responded. I haven't been on the board for several years. I've had 2 FG's converted to expedition campers. The 93 and a 2004. I converted the 93 to a stake truck when I purchased the 2004. I sold the 2004 in 2014 to a member, Dave, on this forum when I purchased a Promaster and converted it to a camper. Getting a little old for 4x4 expedition camping plus my knee doesn't like a manual clutch anymore. Trying to fix up the 93 FG for my son.

Thanks again for all the help.

Tom Gregg

PS there's pictures of my two FG's in the Mitsu Fuso Camper examples.

Edited to ask question about outside diameter of socket that fits and reference to pictures.

Last edited:

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
If it's really hardened, grind it and keep it cool. Mechanic should have a tool post grinder available for this, if not easy enough to do manually.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Sockets are rarely ever hard, but they are definitely toughened. If they were hard, then they would likely shatter when used.
A carbide lathe tool should easily remove material from a socket. I am a Fitter/Machinist and have done this many times in the past.

FusoFG

Adventurer
Thanks for all the help. Looks like i have to reduce my impact socket from 74mm OD to at most 70mm OD thanks to Aussie Iron.

I'll try the lathe at the tractor dealership first.

Tom

FusoFG

Adventurer
SUCCESS!

It was relatively easy to grind the socket down to about 70mm O.D. on a bench grinder.

Just needed to reduce the diameter for about the first 3/8" of the socket's length.

And with a Milwaukee battery operated impact wrench it came right off.

I ordered a replacement lock nut from Messina Truck Center in Tampa FL because the manual indicates not to reuse the old lock nut. Ray in parts has been invaluable in supplying replacement parts for the clutch, brakes, muffler, etc.

He says because Fuso has stopped importing the FG with 4x4 low range some parts will be limited availability in the future.

If anyone needs to remove their transfer case, I purchased a 55mm Sunex deep impact socket (SKU Sun450md ) from www.jbtools.com in Lavonia, MI.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and help.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz