Suburban vs Excursion for Family of 8

BayMonty

hbabler,

Haha, you are describing the REAL reason why diesel Excursions keep holding their value, its like Subaru, their owners have been brainwashed that the vehicle is reliable as long as you keep fixing it and putting money in it that way you can expect a higher sale price. Guess that works if every single owner spends so much on repairs and wants their money back.

I have a 2000 Suburban 1500, it's my daily driver and weekend off-road warrior. I drive it 30k miles a year, at least 10k off road. Not including parts that I broke because I did something really really stupid it has been maintenance free. I spend no more than $200/30,000 miles or per year on repairs. That includes, oil, brakes and everything that I destroy. There is no Excursion owner out there that can say that they spent less than $1,000 on repairs for every 5 years or 150,000 miles they have owned their vehicle.

The 2013 Suburban 1500 has been very reliable for us. The four years we’ve owned it the only bills have been for routine maintenance. Nothing major. However, the Excursion space is something desirable for the size of my family. And, from some of the comments on this thread, the V10 isn’t as bad as some people say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
The 2013 Suburban 1500 has been very reliable for us. The four years we’ve owned it the only bills have been for routine maintenance. Nothing major. However, the Excursion space is something desirable for the size of my family. And, from some of the comments on this thread, the V10 isn’t as bad as some people say.

BayMonty,

V10 Excursions are great trucks, they are very thirsty. I used to drive a fleet of Ford trucks with V10s and 5.6mpg was average city I think I managed to get 8.2mpg on a couple Vegas to LA all highway trips.

You can find a lifted V10 excursion relatively cheap and at a fraction of the price of a diesel Excursion without the added nightmare of maintenance and repairs. Everyone I know that owns a V10 Ford truck has not done any maintenance on them beyond routine and they have been reliable. Only downside is that suspension of a 3/4 tone will not be as pleasant as your 1500 coil sprung front and rear.

hbabler

Crazydrei, you are absolutely correct. I’m actually going to look at a 3/4 ton suburban this week. If it works for us I’ll be trying to figure out how much I can actually get for this 7.3.

Baymonty,
Good luck on your hunt!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I replaced my Sequoia with a 2019 Expedition with the max tow package. Zero regrets proper 4lo setup, e rear locker, My Yosemite trip with 4x6 packed with 4 bikes racked on it (on the trailer) and camp gear we had a trip mpg average of 22mpg! No 4x6 trips I see between 22-24mpg if I keep it under 75mph.
In town daily kid / sports/school etc bus 16-18mpg.
So far really liking it!!! The Excursion the old one for your needs small trailer doesn’t make much sense. Get the Expedition max 4th gen ie the long one, and go.

glock7018

glock7018, what has your maintenance costs looked like? Out here in CA the 7.3’s are pretty expensive even with high mileage. There’s an 01 with 80k miles for $45k. The dealer specializes in trucks and has an 05 v10 with 130k miles for half the cost, and an 02 Suburban 2500 8.1 with 120k miles for $19k.

With another $20k, I can do a lot of things to the other two.

When I was looking for a excursion i was planning on a V10 one. They were going to 5K all day long here in AZ. A friend of mine's dad was selling his 7.3 excursion that I got for 7200. It was my second 7.3 so I was comfortable with the platform. That being said maintaince on a 20 year old diesel can be brutal. For instance its not like a gas Gm truck where you can buy any part you may need at autozone and it will be fine. If it goes on the engine it needs to be motorcraft or it will just fail. Which makes parts cost high. Plus the labor is alot on these trucks.

Another thing too is everything turns into a snowball. Say you want to replace injectors? Well now since you already there you might as well replace glowplugs, and valve cover harness as well. Which adds more to the cost obviously. For instance right now I got a leak at the oil pan. Engine has to come out in order to reseal it. No if's, ands, or buts about its gotta get yanked out. So since you have the ine out, now is the time take advantage of it and save a bunch of labor on other things you want to get done. Bigger turbo, up pipes, new Hpop and lines. The list goes one. Which again, adds a lot more to the cost. But before I yank it out and add more power, I need to put in a built trans to hold the power. Which is around 3500 to 4000. I hate money so its okay. One of the perks for having no kids.

But in the end of the day they are just plain cool. No one has made anything that compares in my eyes. I guess to make a long story short, Get a V10 if you dont really care about power, or economy. Heck you can get a new engine put in for about 4K on a V10.

60beforetruck

You must be really committed to that truck to throw a duramax in it. I assume an lb7 and an allison. They ever come up with a permanent fix on the injectors? Mine bit the dust around 80k.
LLY, the motor has a few mods already. Deleted, 64 mm turbostudded, EFI live. The transmission is also built.

I like the Duramax/ Allison combo. As far as committed, keeps me busy. If I don't like it we will sale it and move on.

plumber mike

Adventurer
I love suburbans, but cannot deny the excursion has far more room. Both the V10 and 8.1 went well over 200k. Both may still be going for all I know. The 8.1 did get better mileage for me. The 6.0 power stroke, when operating properly beats them both power wise and in efficiency by a good margin....but you'll pay for it.

I'd seriously consider a 15 passenger van Econoline or Express. The large families we know say it works better for day to day than the SUV....especially when the kids have friends and gear. Loading into the third and fourth rows is also much easier. 4wd can be added but they really can go a lot of places as a 2wd. I find them in far better condition for much less money than the SUV's.

phsycle

Adventurer
I love suburbans, but cannot deny the excursion has far more room. Both the V10 and 8.1 went well over 200k. Both may still be going for all I know. The 8.1 did get better mileage for me. The 6.0 power stroke, when operating properly beats them both power wise and in efficiency by a good margin....but you'll pay for it.

I'd seriously consider a 15 passenger van Econoline or Express. The large families we know say it works better for day to day than the SUV....especially when the kids have friends and gear. Loading into the third and fourth rows is also much easier. 4wd can be added but they really can go a lot of places as a 2wd. I find them in far better condition for much less money than the SUV's.

He already has a Suburban with no 4lo. Apparently not working for him (wouldn’t work for me, either). Vans have already been discussed but they (4wd conv) are not cheap nor as capable as the other options.

And personally, no way I’d go venturing off in the backcountry in a 2wd. Yes, people have done it. But given we have plenty of choices, why?

BayMonty

After assessing my needs, a Suburban sounds like it’ll be the right fit for my family and I. My wants says a 7.3 Excursion, but I still can’t justify the costs of the few that are listed out here in Northern California.

Again, I love the space of the big full size vans and the option to go 4x4, but again, the cost would push it to $40k-$60k+ depending on buying used or new with the conversion.

Needs/Requirements:

• Will not be pulling anything heavy
• A family of 8
• Can be daily driven if needed
• Strong aftermarket support
• Easy to get parts for maintenance and repairs
• Weekend overlander/adventurer/camping trip rig...will not be crawling with the Jeep’s but will go through light-medium trails. Will possibly install rear lockers just for safety.
• Subjective reliability

al_burpe

Observer
1606327649828.png

This might not be the solution to your problem, but I thought I would at least throw it out there. This is just a random truck I saw in the parking lot of Home Depot, so I have no idea how one goes about acquiring a six door truck.

After assessing my needs, a Suburban sounds like it’ll be the right fit for my family and I. My wants says a 7.3 Excursion, but I still can’t justify the costs of the few that are listed out here in Northern California.

Again, I love the space of the big full size vans and the option to go 4x4, but again, the cost would push it to $40k-$60k+ depending on buying used or new with the conversion.

Needs/Requirements:

• A family of 8
• Weekend overlander/adventurer/camping trip rig...will not be crawling with the Jeep’s but will go through light-medium trails. Will possibly install rear lockers just for safety.
• Subjective reliability

I am in the Bay Area and purchased a 2000 Excursion 7.3L with less than 60K miles where the prior owner did the heavy lifting of modifying it with bumpers, lift, exhaust, etc, and I paid less then $20K. Granted, I looked for a very long time and I was in no rush b/c I already had an excursion but they are possible to find if you are patient. If you can find an Ex with a John Woods transmission, get it! John Woods makes killer transmissions for the 7.3L diesel and the tranny is the weak link.

I have currently gutted the interior so I can Dynamat the entire vehicle. While I am there, I am installing an ARB air compressor, 2 gallon tank (which fits perfectly above the rear wheel well, and some other mods for overlanding.

Long story short, I love the 7.3 and the Excursion.
Scotty

Attachments

• Dynamat Interior.JPG
    Dynamat Interior.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 36

phsycle

Adventurer

Needs/Requirements:

• A family of 8
• Subjective reliability

So basically, what you’ve already got? Just refresh some stuff, add a full length rack, maybe a winch (which I’d prefer over a locker, given the choice), and go at it.

billiebob

Did I mention that it sheared all the studs off the right front hub for some reason and I lost a wheel driving to work?
THIS is a wheel torque issue, call it maintenance or ??? but this is not a systemic Excursion issue. This is a systemic mechanic issue.
It colours everything else you are critical of.

BayMonty

So basically, what you’ve already got? Just refresh some stuff, add a full length rack, maybe a winch (which I’d prefer over a locker, given the choice), and go at it.

The 2013 I currently have does not have 4lo. That will always be the wife’s. It’s been very reliable since we bought it. I’m looking for one with 4lo as it’ll be more the adventure rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94