Suburban vs Excursion for Family of 8

D

Deleted member 9101

65eaffb87f9b0f0b602e4dcf7a5857cd.jpg

This is the Nissan NVP 4x4. One of the dealerships in Utah install the Titan Pro-4X 4x4 and suspension system on the NV’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be my pick. It will hold 8 people, gear, and it's got plenty of head room.

BayMonty

That would be my pick. It will hold 8 people, gear, and it's got plenty of head room.

It would be mine if it was within budget. I don’t want to spend more than $35k-$40k total build, not including any maintenance or even repairs to bring back the vehicle to par if not already.

D

Deleted member 9101

45k for a 20 year old truck with 80k miles. This just seems crazy. Age affects the vehicle as much as miles. That 7.3 is going to need upkeep. Oil leaks, etc.

As soon as you say 7.3 the fan boys start reaching in their their wallet and won't stop until they own one.

D

Deleted member 9101

It would be mine if it was within budget. I don’t want to spend more than $35k-$40k total build, not including any maintenance or even repairs to bring back the vehicle to par if not already.

The newer the vehicle the fewer the repairs it should need. If it was me I would buy as new and low mileage as possible and worry about mods later. A bone stock 4x4 will probably get you to 95%+ of the places that you want to go.

BayMonty

The newer the vehicle the fewer the repairs it should need. If it was me I would buy as new and low mileage as possible and worry about mods later. A bone stock 4x4 will probably get you to 95%+ of the places that you want to gom

And I think that’s what I’ll probably do...newest with lowest miles while keeping a smaller mod budget for suspension and steering.

D

Deleted member 9101

And I think that’s what I’ll probably do...newest with lowest miles while keeping a smaller mod budget for suspension and steering.

Most new 4x4s just need a set of Bilstein 5100s and they can run 34's or 35's. No need for a lift kit.

60beforetruck

Fuel mileage with a 8.1 and 4.10s is very comparable to a 6.0 and 4.10s (pretty lousy but neither was built for economy). I would absolutely buy another 8.1.
My current suburban is 8.1l with 4.10 gears and on 37's. Drive it 400 miles last weekend and got 10.8 mpg.

As for what to get, suburbans and excursion are both nice. You can get the diesel in the excursion or you can go duraburb in the suburban. If you are not pulling and just dont need a diesel, get a suburban with a 6.0 in it. Like others have stated the aftermarket support is good and parts are at every part store.

My 8.1L is strong and will pass everything but a gas station, transmission needs another gear. I am about to swap a duramax in mine first of the year and see how I like it.

phsycle

Adventurer
65eaffb87f9b0f0b602e4dcf7a5857cd.jpg

This is the Nissan NVP 4x4. One of the dealerships in Utah install the Titan Pro-4X 4x4 and suspension system on the NV’s

The thing is, that van is about as offroad capable as a stock SUV while being twice as expensive.

I’d also say get the newest Burb or Expedition. Get some decent LT 33” tires and go at it.

bigdogyj

glock7018, what has your maintenance costs looked like? Out here in CA the 7.3’s are pretty expensive even with high mileage. There’s an 01 with 80k miles for $45k. The dealer specializes in trucks and has an 05 v10 with 130k miles for half the cost, and an 02 Suburban 2500 8.1 with 120k miles for $19k.

With another $20k, I can do a lot of things to the other two.

That 02 suburban is a $9-10k rig IF in mint condition. Honestly do not spend over $10k. I bought an 04 2500 Yukon xl 8.1 180k miles for $9k several years ago and it was damn near perfect and came with over 100 receipts from the local gm dealer for all maintenance they performed. They are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BayMonty

That 02 suburban is a $9-10k rig IF in mint condition. Honestly do not spend over $10k. I bought an 04 2500 Yukon xl 8.1 180k miles for $9k several years ago and it was damn near perfect and came with over 100 receipts from the local gm dealer for all maintenance they performed. They are out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just maybe not in California

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
My current suburban is 8.1l with 4.10 gears and on 37's. Drive it 400 miles last weekend and got 10.8 mpg.

As for what to get, suburbans and excursion are both nice. You can get the diesel in the excursion or you can go duraburb in the suburban. If you are not pulling and just dont need a diesel, get a suburban with a 6.0 in it. Like others have stated the aftermarket support is good and parts are at every part store.

My 8.1L is strong and will pass everything but a gas station, transmission needs another gear. I am about to swap a duramax in mine first of the year and see how I like it.
You must be really committed to that truck to throw a duramax in it. I assume an lb7 and an allison. They ever come up with a permanent fix on the injectors? Mine bit the dust around 80k.

hbabler

Well I’ve owned a V10 excursion, a 7.3 excursion, a 6.0, 6.5, and an 8.1 suburban.

My current whip is the 7.3. Honestly, I’m very close to being done with it. That powerstroke will nickel and dime you to death. Unfortunately it’s actually more like $1000 increments.

Its needed, multiple front hubs, a new turbo, new AC, new CAC boots (oh and they still leak), Milemarker hubs, glow plugs, two GPCMS, under valve cover harnesses, water pump etc (1 month old and leaking again), all new hoses, hydroboost, transmission cooler lines. ICP, ICP pigtail, PCM issues (still dealing this this, sent it to get rebuilt and ups lost it on the way home. Waiting for them to find it or pay for it, no hurry in their part though)

Did I mention that it sheared all the studs off the right front hub for some reason and I lost a wheel driving to work?

Oh yeah I’ve only owned it almost two years. I want a suburban.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I’ve read about the legendary 7.3. I’ve also read about the common issues in the X, like the electrical systems, brakes, and suspension. I’ve read about the 8.1, and it’s common GM issues.

This rig will be the daily family hauler, but will also serve as the adventure/overland vehicle. Will pull an off road basecamp trailer like the Taxa Woolly Bear, the Opus camper models, or something similar...nothing too heavy.

The current family hauler is a 2013 Suburban LT 4x4 without a 4lo. Want to get a true 4x4 for the overland build.

Prior to the Suburban, I owned Sequoia’s both the first generation and second (current) generation, GX470, Gen2, Gen2.5, and Gen3 Montero’s...pretty much Japanese SUV’s. Loved the reliability, quality, capabilities, etc. But once we had our 5th child, we knew we couldn’t stick with a standard full-size SUV. This left us with domestic SUV choices, which I’ve grown to really appreciate.

Hoping to get the advice and opinions of others who have large families and have experience with one, the other, or both platforms overlanding. Out of all the SUV’s I’ve owned, this might sound crazy, but my favorite was the first Gen Sequoia. Stayed on top of maintenance and it never gave any problems at all. Bought it with high mileage (around 121K), kept putting high mileage as a daily vehicle, and sold it at 340K. No issues whatsoever other than expected maintenance. The 4wd system was really underrated.

BayMonty,

Is your current 2013 Suburban a 1500 or 2500? We are a family of 5. I own a 2000 Suburban 1500 that is my daily driver and our dedicated off-road adventure vehicle. Body lift, detroit locker, 37s and a mild tune. I also have a 2011 Suburban 2500 that has a level/2" lift and 34" tires which is pretty much our pavement only kid hauler, mall crawler 10,000lbs trailer puller. Both have 4x4 high and low.

If we plan on doing anything thats not paved including pulling out A-frame pop up off-road we take the 1500 for superior comfort and off road capability. If our trip has absolutely no intention of leaving the pavement we take the 2011 2500 Suburban.

Few years ago I had a 1998 GMC Suburban, 6" diff drop lift, 35" tires, stock 3.73 gears, 4x4 high and low. Spent one summer with 6 adults traveling all around the west coast for two months, everything fit behind the 3rd row and we still managed to get 400+ miles on a tank off road, 600+ on highways.

I have 4.10 gears in my 1500 Sub and 99.9% of the time the truck stays in 2wd high and 1st gear. I only use 4x4 low for stupid off trail escapades.

Aftermarket support sounds important to you, but how so? What aftermarket parts are you looking for? X has aftermarket support where as GM is virtually non-existent. Also keep in mind that a stock X or Suburban can go much farther off road than most owners of modified or lifted trucks will ever take them.

Both X and Suburban platforms are great, just find one with 4x4 low and go from there.

Good luck with your search and adventures.

BayMonty

BayMonty,

Is your current 2013 Suburban a 1500 or 2500? We are a family of 5. I own a 2000 Suburban 1500 that is my daily driver and our dedicated off-road adventure vehicle. Body lift, detroit locker, 37s and a mild tune. I also have a 2011 Suburban 2500 that has a level/2" lift and 34" tires which is pretty much our pavement only kid hauler, mall crawler 10,000lbs trailer puller. Both have 4x4 high and low.

If we plan on doing anything thats not paved including pulling out A-frame pop up off-road we take the 1500 for superior comfort and off road capability. If our trip has absolutely no intention of leaving the pavement we take the 2011 2500 Suburban.

Few years ago I had a 1998 GMC Suburban, 6" diff drop lift, 35" tires, stock 3.73 gears, 4x4 high and low. Spent one summer with 6 adults traveling all around the west coast for two months, everything fit behind the 3rd row and we still managed to get 400+ miles on a tank off road, 600+ on highways.

I have 4.10 gears in my 1500 Sub and 99.9% of the time the truck stays in 2wd high and 1st gear. I only use 4x4 low for stupid off trail escapades.

Aftermarket support sounds important to you, but how so? What aftermarket parts are you looking for? X has aftermarket support where as GM is virtually non-existent. Also keep in mind that a stock X or Suburban can go much farther off road than most owners of modified or lifted trucks will ever take them.

Both X and Suburban platforms are great, just find one with 4x4 low and go from there.

Good luck with your search and adventures.

It’s a 1500 with no 4lo. Thanks for the good advice!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Well I’ve owned a V10 excursion, a 7.3 excursion, a 6.0, 6.5, and an 8.1 suburban.

My current whip is the 7.3. Honestly, I’m very close to being done with it. That powerstroke will nickel and dime you to death. Unfortunately it’s actually more like $1000 increments.

Its needed, multiple front hubs, a new turbo, new AC, new CAC boots (oh and they still leak), Milemarker hubs, glow plugs, two GPCMS, under valve cover harnesses, water pump etc (1 month old and leaking again), all new hoses, hydroboost, transmission cooler lines. ICP, ICP pigtail, PCM issues (still dealing this this, sent it to get rebuilt and ups lost it on the way home. Waiting for them to find it or pay for it, no hurry in their part though)

Did I mention that it sheared all the studs off the right front hub for some reason and I lost a wheel driving to work?

Oh yeah I’ve only owned it almost two years. I want a suburban.

hbabler,

Haha, you are describing the REAL reason why diesel Excursions keep holding their value, its like Subaru, their owners have been brainwashed that the vehicle is reliable as long as you keep fixing it and putting money in it that way you can expect a higher sale price. Guess that works if every single owner spends so much on repairs and wants their money back.

I have a 2000 Suburban 1500, it's my daily driver and weekend off-road warrior. I drive it 30k miles a year, at least 10k off road. Not including parts that I broke because I did something really really stupid it has been maintenance free. I spend no more than $200/30,000 miles or per year on repairs. That includes, oil, brakes and everything that I destroy. There is no Excursion owner out there that can say that they spent less than $1,000 on repairs for every 5 years or 150,000 miles they have owned their vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke