Suburban vs Excursion for Family of 8

wagoneerguy

where is the extra space?

how does the MPG compare between the two?

I think most of the extra space is between the third and second rows. I am 6' 1" and can comfortably sit in the the third row. In our suburban I could fit but just barely. It is a bit easier putting the car seats/booster seats and a bit more space between each kid which is good. Also I think there is a bit of extra headroom which is nice but wasn't a major deal either way to us.

Gas mileage wise it's about the same, maybe a little worse. The 5.7l in the Suburban still ran well but was north of 320,000 miles so she was tired. Both are 4x4, the suburban had larger tires, 33" and stock gears and we'd usually get between 12-13mpg. Our excursion is running 35" tires also stock gears and we are getting around10-12 mpg which is what we expected. I don't think the tires are helping either one out. The power between the two is a major difference though, as expected the v10 really moves much better which is to be expected.

BayMonty

Congrats on the new rig. Family of 7 here with a few carseats to throw into the mix. Just went through the same process you did finding a new ride. We previously had a 96' k1500 Suburban and it was a great rig that took us all over the place and some places we shouldn't have tried to take it. They are really solid rigs and will serve you well. That said we ended up selling that and getting a 2002 Excursion for a great deal, which so far (only had it for a 3 months) and we really love it so far. The bit of extra space is great and car seats fit a bit nicer. The rear cargo space seems to be about the same and a roof rack is really needed now for camping equip but that is because we have to have that third row now.

Congrats on the 97' Burb though, take care of it and it'll treat you good!

Thanks wagoneerguy!

Going through the rig slowly and replacing anything needing to be replaced. I’ve only driven it a little over 100 miles so far and it’s much better now that most of the front end has been replaced. Still getting that soft brake pedal feel. Going to by a tech2 clone and bleed the ABS. All new front brake components, including hydraulic lines. May do the NBS upgrade for the MC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz