Suburban/Tahoe owners what size tire do you run?

justcuz

Explorer
My 93 and 00 have 3.73 gears and I run 285/75x16 inch tires on stock 2004 aluminum wheels.
The 93 has a factory trailer package, but I had the rear springs re-arched and it has the green bars in front. Tires rub the fender lip on full compression.
The 00 has H2 rear coils and will get a set of Ford keys here soon but no front rubbing.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
The 93 will get about 16 on the road and 13 around town.
The 00 will get 13 to 14 around town and I have gotten as high as 18.4 on the road, but usually 16.5-17 mpg.
The LS engine has its peak power curve higher in the rev range so faster is better for mileage. That good mileage I got was in Utah heading south at 80 mph.
I have a buddy who has a 2wd 2001 Suburban that has 4.11's and 265/75x16 tires and he gets 21 on the highway. I could not believe it but we traded for the weekend and I drove it to Monterey from Rancho Cucamonga and back and sure as hell it got 20-21 mpg.
I am a pretty smooth and conservative driver though, my 4 wheel disc brakes on my 00 suburban have been on the car for 10 years and over 100,000 miles.

justcuz

Explorer
10 bolt and 8.25 front would be the 6 lug 1/2 ton stuff. 3/4 ton 8 lug.would be 14 bolt either semi or full float and a 9.25 front
Fairly sure those axles were used from 88 to 2014 on 1/2 ton trucks, the exception being the front of the 88 to 91 Blazer, Suburban and Crew Cab Dually that used a solid front axle. The dually used a Dana 60 front while the Blazer and Suburban used 10 bolts.

Last edited:

justcuz

Explorer
The last time I went to the tire store the guy did not want to sell me my 285/75x16's for installation on stock 7" Chevy aluminum wheels. He said their chart did not recommend it. Well he just removed a set of the same tires that went 60,000 miles and I had a set of all terrains on it previously, same size. So after having 2 sets of 285's on the Suburban that went over 110,000 miles all of a sudden he won't do it because of his chart.
First he tried to tell me the wheels were only 6.5 wide, next he said they would wear badly and lastly he referred to his chart.
Chevy GMT 400/800 aluminum wheels are 7" wide, 2 sets of tires with over 50,000 miles a piece put his wear argument to bed and his chart was challenged by my argument that he will install a 12.50 wide tire on an 8" rim, but not put a 11.25 wide tire on a 7" rim?
By the time I was done arguing with him in the crowded sales room of the tire store, even the customers waiting were looking at him like he was an idiot. I finished up with the comment that 3 other tire stores will sell me what I want if you don't, so make up your mind or I'm leaving. I got my tires.
A good tire store will actually mount up a tire on your rim and cycle it to test clearances. The "chart" is posted online and is just a liability thing for the tire companies to avoid uneven wear claims or tire rubbing on certain vehicles. It is very generic though. The tire store employees are usually believed by customers and it's an easy way for most tire stores to sell aftermarket wheels to fit their chart. Usually the aftermarket wheels have different off sets than stock wheels and in many cases rub or have more clearance issues than stock rims. Remember also Z71's run 265 tires from the factory, there is no logical reason you can not go one size bigger on a stock wheel.

ejwebb

I run a 285/70 R17 on my 04 Z71 with a 3/4 spacer lift in the rear and a 2.5 cognito leveling kit in the front, it rubs in the rear at full compression just a little bit,but its worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz