Suburban Opinions Please

Judoka

Learning To Live
I am buying a 1990 GMC Suburban V2500 with a 350TBI. I want to lift it 3-4 inches for more ground clearance because of the length and break over . I don't want blocks. I want full leaf springs. Dropping hangers is not really an option either. I am looking for a bolt-on suspension kit. What recommendations would you give? Which kit is the best for my needs? Articulation is nice, but durability and functionality are paramount. Any suggestions are appreciated. I want a complete kit, less the shocks as I will source those myself. Thank you!

justcuz

Explorer
Getting the front lift is easy with springs, but the back is going to be either blocks or shackle flip. You can have your rear springs re arched at a good shop and have them add about 2" of arch and then find a short 2" block off of a F250 or F350.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Warwgn, Tuff Country was the option I was thinking. Any idea how it rides or the durability?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I have used BDS products all on my GM rigs and never had a problem. They offer a great waranty and their stuff seems to last to lots of abuse. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Renntag

Adventurer
I am in the same search. Ride quality and durability are paramount. It seems that either rebuilt or new front springs and the rear shackle flip are key. Should be able to use your existing springs with access to a good spring shop. Worst case just get new front springs.
Bushings, steering joints, steering shaft, and a sturdy box mount are also important considerations if you want good drivability on the road.

warwgn

Explorer
Warwgn, Tuff Country was the option I was thinking. Any idea how it rides or the durability?

I have heard from lots of folks the 4" works great and has a very good ride. I have the 6" on Subzila and have no issues with the ride at all, and they seem very beefy and dont see having any issues with durability, but I dont wheel real hard either.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Right on guys! I appreciate all of the input. I will keep researching all of these ideas.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Judoka

Learning To Live
I will actually have the Suburban in my drive around the first of June. I will post up a pic of course. Then once I decide upon a definite direction I will post up a build thread. I love the look of 35's on a Suburban, but I am actually considering 33 inch tire and smaller lift to keep her stable. But then I sure do love the look of 35's!

Erik N

Adventurer
I will actually have the Suburban in my drive around the first of June. I will post up a pic of course. Then once I decide upon a definite direction I will post up a build thread. I love the look of 35's on a Suburban, but I am actually considering 33 inch tire and smaller lift to keep her stable. But then I sure do love the look of 35's!

Keep it stock and run 255/85/16. They are 33" and do not rub. I have taken mine through some pretty bad trails, it is a billygoat. Personally I see no reason to lift it, it is hard enough to climb into the back as is. The hitch will act as a skid plate on really bad exits.

Use the saved $$ for taking trips.

Attachments

• P1020674.JPG
    P1020674.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN0452.JPG
    DSCN0452.JPG
    467.3 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member