Suburban Aux fuel tank pics

ChvyGirl

how big is the tank? looks like a neat project!

I'm sure you considered this, but is there any way of damaging the filler neck in its current location?? :)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Traveller, that looks like a realy slick:Wow1:set-up you have there. Can you give us the details on which tank you used and other install info? Cheers, Chilli....:)

FellowTraveler

Explorer
how big is the tank? looks like a neat project!

I'm sure you considered this, but is there any way of damaging the filler neck in its current location?? :)

25 gallon capacity aux, I run 285/75/16 e in there too w/o any issues there will be 295/75/16 e in there soon, plan to install another filler door/neck next to factory unit by cutting sheet metal next to factory fill door then welding in another door/ filler assembly I will include the details herein when I do.

Last edited:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
The unit is from North West Metal products, 25 gal cap, it fits under driver side between chassis and drive shaft then from transmission x-member back to just before the rear differential it then extends below the chassis rail about one inch. Install was easy and about 2 hours most of which was routing wires, switch, gauge, pump, filter and hoses.

My diesel fuel system is non-vented and I'm working on installing a manual vent control valve in dash venting tanks to outside when transferring fuel from aux to main.

I'll be removing the nerf bars on my Burb and installing custom sliders w/tank skid plate assembly. The nerf bars have given me great service however their too low for my liking in some off road situations.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I'm installing a diesel Espar heating system in my Burb and it will be fed from the aux tank which has the right fitting at the drain plug for the fuel feed.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Awesome! I hate stopping for fuel lol

I see your sig says you are running an AMSOIL bypass, how often do you change oil? and how often for the filter? I am a fellow 99 6.5 owner

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...plan to install another filler door/neck next to factory unit by cutting sheet metal next to factory fill door then welding in another door/ filler assembly I will include the details herein when I do.
You might consider putting them both under the single door? That works for mine:

filler2.JPG

More pics and my install: BLT Offroad Avalanche

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
COOL, tell me more please!
Not much more to the story that has not been said in the build page linked. I used cardboard to lay out a template using the stock mounting cup for the filler tube. Then just made it wider to fit both necks. Copied that to a sheet of aluminum diamond plate recycled from an old tool box, and cut it out. A little bending and drilling...you see the results above.

My tank is in the space underneath where my spare was located stock. I carry about 49 gallons of gasoline total. I find that to be the the sweet spot for my area. Packing too much extra weight reduces mileage and performance. Still a range around 600 miles is a good situation.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Ok FellowTraveler, I'm lost as to where the extra tank is, could you post some pics of it?

HenryJ, I want to copy your setup, aside from the tank itself (the 2-dr Tahoe tank is larger) exactly as you have it. That's really slick.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
HenryJ, I want to copy your setup, aside from the tank itself (the 2-dr Tahoe tank is larger) exactly as you have it. That's really slick.
Imitation IS the BEST form of flattery. THX! Take pics. I'd love to see what your install looks like.

I considered a larger tank too. I did want to retain the ability to mount my spare underneath so the thinner tank was my choice at the time.

spare.JPG
hook.JPG

In the end the spare went up top in the basket and the sand ladders underneath:

Ladders.JPG

Should I need maximum aerodynamics and fuel mileage the spare could go back under with the sand ladders removed. This allows me quite a few options, however...once things are set up we rarely make changes. The larger tank could have worked just fine for me.

I can not say that I considered the two door Tahoe (Fullsize Blazer) fuel tank. I did have a S-series Blazer tank under consideration, as well as a Trooper and Rodeo tank. Filler neck positions, mounting options , availability and size all played a part in my choice. I have been very happy with the installation. Very few refinements from my tank third tank install on my old S-10 which was based on Scott's install in his Toyota.

rb70383

Observer
I had a similar idea. Mine was to run both filler tubes to a common opening Kinda like a "Y". Fill one tank then pull the nozzle out a bit and angle it to hit the other filler opening. I have to look on the RC and see if I have room for 2 seperate gas caps.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I had a similar idea. Mine was to run both filler tubes to a common opening Kinda like a "Y". Fill one tank then pull the nozzle out a bit and angle it to hit the other filler opening.
The "Y" idea is a good one. I have seen aftermarket systems using those. I think it was a Landrover? I had that idea on the radar too.
With all the ethanol fuel out there corrosion resistance is really needed. If I were to fab a Y filler neck it would need to be stainless, or galvanize it. Neither would be easy or cheap.

What ever you do be sure to run a good ground strap from the filler neck. Static discharge and fuel vapors don't mix. It is all too easy to fab a filler neck and isolate it. Not a desirable situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94