Suburban 2500 4x2- lockers?

Dogmann

Observer
I'm looking at perhaps putting lockers on a 99 suburban 2500....

What are the best locker choices?

What upgrades would you do to a suburban 2500 4x2?

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Most 4x2’s came with the “G80” locker (yes, it’s a locker not a limited slip!). Check the SPID stucker in your glove box. If you have it, maybe change the fluid and make sure you have the “limited slip” additive. Should be good to go!

autism family travels

If you want selectable, ARB, OX, and the eaton E locker are all great choices. If available for your rig that is. cool to see 2wds getting in on the overlanding action.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yup. Check the glovebox sticker for the "G80" option. If it has that, you already have a locker, and so long as you're not prone to mashing the throttle, they work great. I've had three trucks with them now, and they have pulled me out of trouble countless times.

If you don't have that option, the cheapest way to go is to find an axle from a junkyard that does have it, and just swap the whole axle.

If you want to install a locker in your current axle, it'll be more expensive...
If your axle is a 14 bolt full floater, then a Detroit is the cheapest and most robust way to go, and I would think it woudl work fairly well in a suburban.
If it's the semi-float 14 bolt axle, then putting in a factory G80 (Gov-Lock) is still the cheapest way to go, a Truetrac is probably the next cheapest, but that's a limited slip, not a true locker... ARB and Eaton sell lockers for both axles. Ox does not.
You can also install a "lunchbox" locker in the semi-float axle, but having had one, I'd recommend against it...

BTW, you can't put "lockers" in a 2wd truck... You can only put in one locker, since you only have one drive axle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94