SubSar's "03 Suburban Build

SubSar

Over the last couple of years as I have been building my truck, I keep finding myself here at Expedition Portal looking for ideas and opinions. So, I decided to sign up and share my experiences.

I am a volunteer search and rescue K9 handler and have been building the truck to serve that purpose. It is not my daily driver. The truck spends most of its time on pavement getting us to and from search missions. While on mission we live out of and sleep in the Suburban if we are near command post. I will use it to transport search teams to their assignments. Fire roads, mud and snow are the primary challenges to the 4wd. I am not going rock crawling or extreme 4x4ing with it. I would like to get out and do some more recreational overlanding/camping with it if I ever get some time.

I bought the truck about four years ago from some friends for a decent price. It is a 2003 Chevy Suburban LT 4wd that had just under 200k miles on it when I got it. It was stock except for the wheels with oversized all season tires and a Trendz grill. Options include the tow package with G80 automatic locking rear axle, premium smooth ride with automatic leveling shocks, dual zone climate control, rear A/C and Bose stereo. It has the 5.3L with a 4L60E transmission, NP246 transfer case and 3:73 gearing.

I am going to work on adding to this topic to document what I have done to my rig so far and get advice and opinions on what I might do in the future. Or what could I improve on.

Here is a picture of what it looked like when I got it, minus the SAR magnet.
Stock.jpg

tpi_boy

Nice truck, hope to see more! I’m just starting to build a 2003 quadrasteer 2500 Yukon xl. Had a 2002 1500 suburban for years that was my fishing and hunting rig though, great trucks

SubSar

Up first: Lighting. I am talking about the factory lighting, not my off road lights. I will get to those later.

The SARburban had the factory headlights when I got it. They were pretty yellowed out and the turn signal/DRL housing were leaking water. I picked up a set of Spyder Auto headlights and turn signals at an auction for cheap. They had the halo's and black chrome reflectors. I figured they had to be an improvement over the stock units even if they weren't really my style.
Old Headlights.jpg

I was wrong. These things were horrible. Even with good silver star bulbs the light output sucked. So bad I would have put the factory units back on it had I not already tossed them in the trash.
Eventually I bought a new set of Depo's with silver reflectors and new silver reflector turn signal/DRL housings.
Depo Headlights: Turn Signal/DRL Housings: Grill.jpg
Much better! I am running the bulbs that came with the headlight units and the light output is much better. The silver reflectors are a lot better looking with the white paint than the black chrome ones.

I also pick up a new set of fog light housings. The original ones both had busted lenses. They are not quite as stiff as the factory ones but they fit and work fine.

I changed all the bulbs in the turn signals, DRL's, fog lights and tail lights to LED's. When I first did the turn signals I ended up with the fast flash issue where the turn signals would flash very fast because the truck thought it had a burnt out bulb. I changed the flasher module to an LM487 which was what most information I found online said would fix the fast flash. And it did. But then I found out that if I was on cruise control and put the turn signal on the cruise control would shut off. That was annoying. Back to Google. A little more research and I found that some people installed a LM486 flasher modules to fix the fast flash and cruise control problem. Pick one up and installed it and life was good. Nice bright turn signals, tails lights, reverse lights, DRL's and no more fast flash and cruise control works just fine again.

I installed the Fleece Performance All Lights On module: Another very easy to do mod for $25. Now when I turn my high beams on my lows and fogs stay on as well. If the high beams are off the fogs can be turned on or off by their switch as normal. They should call it All Light, Except DRL's, On. There is a mod I have seen that would keep the DRL's on with low beams but I have not done it yet.

I changed out the license plate lights with these: They are much brighter and I like the red accents. They were plug and play easy to install. If you are trying to make your plate harder to read do not put these on. They will light your plate up.
License Plate Lights.jpgLicense Plate Lights 2.jpg

I changed all the interior light bulbs and the courtesy lights on the bottom of the mirrors to LED's. The only issue I am seeing is that the map lights do not seem to be full brightness all the time. I need to check the voltage there and see what it going on. The LED overhead and courtesy lights are much brighter. The interior is very well lit now.

I would still like to change the gauge cluster lights to LED. I know there are lots of companies that will rebuild the gauges with LED's for not too much $. One post said they could add a transmission temperature gauge at the same time. That will probably be the route I go.

Darren01

Awesome! Ill definitely follow this build. I have an 03 Tahoe that I'm also building to outdoor/camping/general off road type activities.

Do you have any plans to build up the 4l60? Seems it's the only real big weak point in these rigs.

SubSar

Darren01, thanks for fallowing. With 215k miles, on what I assume is the original drivetrain, I know that it is going to need an overhaul.

My transfer case recently started making an awful grinding, racket of noise. I was going to rebuild it myself until I looked into the special jigs you need to set the shim for the clutch pack. I bought a remanufactured t-case from The Gear Shop. I found they were the best price around, no upfront core charge, shipping the new one and returning the core was included and a couple warranty options. I just got the new case up and bolted into the truck yesterday. Since I had to drop the drive shafts to get the t-case out I figured I better replace the universal joints while I was at it. Found the rear shaft had aftermarket u-joints but the front still had the factory originals. Installed Moog 235’s in all four positions with new u-joint clamps. I still need to put the new shift motor on, fill it with oil, and reinstall the drive shafts. Hopefully I can knock most of this out today or tomorrow and test drive it.

Back to your question about the 4l60E. Absolutely I plan on beefing it up. I have a core transmission that I picked up a while back sitting in the garage. An automatic transmission rebuild is not something I will tackle myself. I will find a good 4x4 shop that knows what they are doing. I do know that the 4l60E can be upgraded to match the 4l65E with the right parts. There is a mod to install Corvette servo’s to improve shifting as well.

Once the core is rebuilt and ready I could swap the the transmission in the driveway but I am not as young as I used to be. I might opt to just have the shop do.

After that I will start shopping around for a new/rebuilt engine. I have replacement cores for the rear axle and the front differential sitting in the garage as well. They both need to be gone through but they might be useful for a core charge if nothing else.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Back to your question about the 4l60E. Absolutely I plan on beefing it up. I have a core transmission that I picked up a while back sitting in the garage. An automatic transmission rebuild is not something I will tackle myself. I will find a good 4x4 shop that knows what they are doing. I do know that the 4l60E can be upgraded to match the 4l65E with the right parts. There is a mod to install Corvette servo’s to improve shifting as well.

Don't forget to flush the cooler and lines while the trans is out, when you do you'll see just how much crap is in the system and you'll be glad you cleaned it.

SubSar

Next Up: Tires and Suspension

This is going to take a bit to work through since I have done the suspension twice now. When I got the truck it was sitting on the factory suspension. The only change to the ride height was the 285/75R16 all season tires.

When the all seasons were due to be replaced I went with some A/T's of the same size. I looked at going to 33"s but the price was much more vs the 285's. A comparison shows that 285/75R16's are only .2" shorter than 33"s but they are almost 3/4" wider. I have not had any rubbing issues.

When I first got the truck it had this slight whine sometimes when going straight but the whine would stop with any slight turn. Eventually it threw and ABS fault code. I found that the front drivers side wheel bearing was shot and the ABS sensor was rubbing the tone ring. I went ahead and replaced both front hubs with Detroit Axle units (515036).

I knew that I wanted to lift the truck for a little more ground clearance. When I checked out the options I found 3-2 Lift and Level kits $400+, a couple of 4" option $1800+, and a lot of 6" options at $1800+. I did not really want to go as high as a 6" and could not justify spending the cost of the 4" options. I ended up going with a 3-2 Lift and Level from Wulf Suspensions. I ordered the full kit with 2" spring spacers for the rear coils, new torsion keys for the front and longer shocks all the way around.

Installation is pretty straight forward. On the rear disconnect the shocks and let the axle hang enough to get the spacers on top of the coils. Watch your rear differential breather hose and the rubber brake line hose just above the differential. They might get stretched or break off. I do not remember doing it but I must have removed the bracket that hold the brake line T from the differential cover. Remember to bolt this bracket back in place. Apparently I did not and it would come back to bite me in the backside. There are lots of videos on replacing torsions keys and front end shocks out there. Installation on the front went smooth.

When I put the truck back on the ground I had almost 4+ inches of lift on the front but only about 3/4" on the rear. Went back under and backed off the torsion keys until I was right at 3" over where I started but still only had about 3/4" in the rear. Back to Google for some research on why I was not getting 2" in the rear. Eventually I figured out that my truck had the manual self leveling Nivomat shocks (RPO G65) and the premium smooth ride (RPO ZW7). This combo uses softer springs than non-smooth ride trucks. The least expensive option was to put the Nivomats back on with some 2" shock extenders. I looked for longer Nivomats but they are expensive. Replacing the springs would have meant trying to squeeze taller springs into the perches with the spacers and I did not feel like doing that at the time. With the original shocks and the extenders I was getting the full 2" of lift out back.

A lift means an alignment was needed. Took it over to the local tire shop only to find out that my pitman arm and idler arms were shot. Back to the house we go. I put in a new Moog pitman (K6536HD) and Moog idler (6534HD). The idler was pretty easy to swap. The pitman was not. It sits right above the cross member and there is very little room to work with a puller. I had to unbolt the steering box from the frame to be able to wiggle things around enough to get the job done. After a bunch of cussing, bashed knuckles and walking away for breaks I was able to get the pitman swapped out. Back to the tire shop. The tech warned me that depending on the lift the A-arms may not have enough adjustment to correct the alignment. If that was the case a new set of problem solver A-arms were in my future. Luckily he was able to get the alignment to come into spec. I drove the truck like this for about a year and a half. Here is the before (top) and after (bottom).
Lift.jpg

18 months later I took the truck into Death Valley. My Suburban and a brand new 2020 (250 miles on the clock) AWD Dodge Durango made the trip. We ran into 50 miles of washboard road. Anything over about 7-10 miles per hour would rattle your teeth out. About 30 miles in my brake pedal went to the floor with hardly any brake power. We pulled over an found that the steel brake line over the rear axle had snapped on the drivers side and all my brake fluid was gone. Remember that bracket that holds the steel line T to the differential cover? Looks like I forgot to reattach it and the steel brake line and the rear axle were not moving together causing the brake line to snap. With temperatures around 115 degrees we could not stay where we were. We limped to our destination and did a more thorough inspection. The Durango had destroyed all it's shocks and we were pulling melted material from the wheels. My shocks looked like this:
Melted.jpg

So now I have zero shocks and barely any brakes. I pinched off the broken brake line and got a message out to someone coming later to bring me some brake fluid. A couple of days later we limped both trucks out to Bishop. The guys at Autozone helped me out with some tools and materials to plug off the broken line and bleed the brakes as best I could in the parking lot. It was a long, slow, gentle 320 mile drive home. When I got home and got the truck on the stands I found more damage.
Blocks.jpg

Here comes round two on the suspension! Since I had to replace all four shocks and I knew the cost of Nivomat's was high I started looking for options. Everyone I talked to said Bilstien's were the way to go. I looked at the 4600's, the 5100's and the 5160's with remote reservoirs. I could not justify the extra cost for remote reservoirs on the 5160's that had nearly the same amount of travel as the 5100's. I went with 5100's, 24-185783 rear shocks and 24-186643 front shocks. I knew from the last time I did the suspension that I would need to change the coils springs. I went with Moog 81069 rear springs. So now the rear is more like 3" above where I originally started. I do not notice the ride being much different than when the smooth ride parts were on it.

I bought a replacement hard brake line kit from Dorman (919+149) and replaced both hard lines on the rear axle. While I had the rear suspension apart I took the time to replace the rear brake pads and the parking brake hardware. The parking brake had not worked since I got the truck.

On the front end I found the inner tie rod boot broken on the passenger side and one of the sway bar end links coming apart. Replaced the inner tie rods (Moog ES3488), outer tie rods (Moog ES3493T), the sway bar end links and bushings (Prothane 7-1169). All the bump stops were looking pretty worn as well so I installed these:

I am not crazy about the yellow but they work. It took a little bit of wrestling to get them to seat in the pockets but they fit.

I had purchased a set of Power Stop front calipers at the auction along with new rotors a few months earlier. Since I was going to need to bleed the brakes any way now was the time to put them on along with a new set of Power Stop pads. Just a hint: make sure you put the calipers on with the bleeder screws at the top. You can get them on the wrong side with the bleeders down and it will make bleeding the brakes impossible. I banged my head on the wall too long before I realized my error. Also since I had drained all the brake fluid out and pulled air into the system I needed to bleed the ABS pump. I bought an Autel MaxiCheck Pro to get this done. It worked like a champ and let me recalibrate my speedometer for the oversized tires as well.

I think that gets us to what I am running on the truck today.

SubSar

Short post today.

I added AVS window vent shades. I went with the in-channel. It lets me crack the window when I am sleeping for some ventilation without rain dripping in. I also have a set of screen socks that go over the door frame to keep the bugs out.
Vent Shades.jpg

Added the Curt front receiver. I did install it in the flipped position to keep all the ground clearance I could. It means cutting a hole in the air dam which was fine by me. I keep my recovery clevis in there. If needed I can remove it a install it in the rear receiver for a recovery point back there. The front tow hooks were factory. I know that the LSSV military version of the 1500 came with clevis mounts in place of the tow hooks. I would love to find a set of clevis mounts or an after market conversion kit but no luck so far. I considered going with a winch/off road bumper but I do not think I really need one for what I am using the truck for. I do have a receiver mounted winch cradle that will go on at some point. I need to run power front and back for a winch and buy the winch.
Front Receiver.jpg

Has anyone out there looked into suspension lifts by with Race Car Dynamics or BDS? They seem better made than the more popular Rough Country lifts. They have kits available for the 1500 and 2500 Suburban's.

SubSar

Has anyone out there looked into suspension lifts by with Race Car Dynamics or BDS? They seem better made than the more popular Rough Country lifts. They have kits available for the 1500 and 2500 Suburban's.

I looked at both Race Car Dynamics and BDS. I just did not want to go a high as a 6" and did not want to pay $2500+ for a 4" when I could get 3" for $600ish.

SubSar

Got the transfer case and u-joint replacement done and the truck back on the road. It survived it's test drive just fine. No weird noises, shimmy's or shakes. The new transfer case seems to be shifting just fine between all the modes. Now to crate up the core and get it back to The Gear Shop.

SubSar

I read an post recently from another Suburban user questioning why it seemed like everyone's first impulse was to build/install a drawer system in their rigs. He was using totes (looked like the black and yellow ones from Costco) to organize his gear. He made some good points about the lose of head room when sleeping inside and being able to take or leave totes as his trip required. I think it comes down to a personal choice and depends on what you are doing with your rig.

Since my rig is not my daily driver and I need to be ready to go on short notice I opted to build a drawer system/sleeping platform. I can leave most of my gear in the truck all the time and I can covert to a bed in a few minutes while still keeping everything in the truck to keep it dry. I looked at a lot of different DIY drawer system build before starting on mine.

I started with engineered wood structural I-beams. A friend had some left over from building his barn that he gave me for free. I took the I-beams and trimmed some material of the top and bottom of the I to keep as much headroom as I could. Then I took two of them and turned them into C-beams. I looked at doing full length drawer sliders but they are expensive once you started getting out past 36" and I am not carrying hundreds or thousands of pounds of gear in each drawer. The bottom of the C & I are the drawer runners and keep the drawers just high enough off the floor to clear the trim piece at the liftgate. I lined the bottom edge of the drawers and the top edge of the runners with Teflon tape to make them slide a little easier. You can see in the pictures that some of the Teflon tape is worn through after a few years of use. I might try and find a thin piece of UHMW to replace the tape with.
Platform I.jpgPlatform C.jpg
The back end of the platform and drawers are tight up against the 2nd row seats. I trimmed them at a matching angle to maximize every bit of space I could.
Drawer End.jpg
The top of the platform is OSB. I started with a full 4'x8' sheet and trimmed it to length. Where the platform comes up against the 2nd row seats I installed a piano hinge and attached the piece of OSB that I had trimmed off. Now when I fold the 2nd row down I can flip that piece over and have a full 4'x8' sleeping platform. I use some square RV leveling blocks to support the extension. This allows me to stuff a bunch of my gear under the extension for the night.
2nd Row Down 2.jpg
I had to cut the corners off the extension to it would clear the c-pillar trim on both sides.

The drawers are 1/2" plywood bottoms and faces with 1/8" sides. I wanted to keep the weight down where I could. You can see my drawer walls are a little wavy. They work fine but thicker material would have kept them nice and straight.
DS Drawer Out 1.jpgPS Drawer Out 1.jpg
Originally I only had the pull handle on the drawers. One time I was parked on a slight incline and had the liftgate open. After a while I noticed that my drawers were slowly sliding out. So I went back and added the locking turn handle latches. If I was to do it over I would just have the latching handles centered in the drawer face.

With the extension folded back and the 2nd row seats up I can transport myself plus 3-4 other team members and their gear for the day.
2nd Row Up.jpg
The carpet is an indoor/outdoor carpet from Costco. I can't remember what size it was 9'x15', 10'x12'? It matches the interior color really well and it was cheap.

At night I use a 12v air pump to blow up a cheap Walmart 8" twin air mattress and toss a sleeping bag on top. It works great for me and the dog. Yeah, I don't have a huge amount of headroom if I wanted to sit up the back but I am not living inside the truck. Generally I am climbing into go to sleep and that's it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior