Subaru Questions

KiwiKurt

Explorer
enjoy.

Random question not related to the discussion: Are there suspension lift kits for foresters and the like? It seems the rally vehicles sit higher and have more suspension travel, but Ive never seen one in person set up with it?

KiwiKurt

Explorer

thanks!

well, the rally cars have completely different suspension specs to begin with.

mal-what.gif

this thread needs 200% m0Ar rally pig.

rally%20pig.jpg

and a TiC rally bull just for good measure.

Rally_Bull.jpg

Last edited:

machine1

Explorer
enjoy.

Random question not related to the discussion: Are there suspension lift kits for foresters and the like? It seems the rally vehicles sit higher and have more suspension travel, but Ive never seen one in person set up with it?

Rally suspensions consist of long travel coilover spring setups. The last one I priced out was over $5K, that was just for the coilovers.

The only affordable lift options for the Forester are lift spacers ranging between 1-2" for the 2009-up models. The older Foresters have the option to go up to 6" of lift with subframe spacers.

In the US, the three popular lift kit companies are Primitive Racing, Subtle Solutions, and Sumo Racing. Gorilla off-road made spacers at one point in time.

A newer Forester starts with almost 9 inches of ground clearance with a flat bottom (no pumpkin hanging down). With a 2" inch lift and a 1" larger tire you can approach a foot of ground clearance in a Forester.

SG Forester (2003-2008)

17938337923bc4747d607732cd044464950c71d2.jpg

SH Forester (2009-2013)

98242d1381257117-fotm-october-2013-home-wild-img_2632.jpg

Last edited:

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
enjoy.

98 (SF) Forester on 08 (SG) struts (+1) with Ironman (+2) springs and 1/2in spacers.

Now I have added GD (02-07 Impreza sedan) control arms and lateral links to widen the track and trailing arms off a 98 Outback (slightly longer to compensate for the lift in back)

Tires are 215/75-15 Grabber AT2 and barely clear the spring perches.

With the larger tires it doesn't look lifted, it looks "right" When we park next to stock Foresters it's blatantly obvious how much higher it is :)

Frdmskr

Adventurer
As a follow up we are looking at a 99 Forrester with 50k miles tomorrow. Not sure why miles so low so weary but def appreciate all the info here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Thing was a museum piece. Fantastic condx. Bought yesterday pick up this week. Thanks again all on behalf of my sister

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
With the larger tires it doesn't look lifted, it looks "right" When we park next to stock Foresters it's blatantly obvious how much higher it is :)
I get that a lot with my car too. When it was lifted with the stock tires it was really obvious it was lifted because of the massive tire gap. But with the larger tires fitted it looks normal again. You really only noticed it's lifted when it's parked beside a stock car and it's 4" higher off the ground.

rover4x4

Adventurer
Subarus with the FB engines seem to have a lot of issues. The EJ engines had the headgasket issues early on. The FB engines are in the later foresters and the gen 4 outbacks and legacys. the FB 20 found in the crosstrek also seems to have the same oil consumtopn engine ring issues. Have any of yall encountered this

reachdean

Observer
Oil consumption has been an issue with the FB engines. It's not just "a boxer thing."

The EJ motors I've had in my cars (1x 1.8L DOHC, 1x 2.5L DOHC, 2x 2.5L SOHC, 1x 2.5L SOHC w Active Valve Lift) have all been fine with oil, losing at most half a quart between oil changes (a couple used more, but as the result of a head gasket failure, not consumption).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz