Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

heehawhardy

Adventurering
You paid 24k for a subaru with 72,000 on it? Then bought gap insurance? If your in CA let me know when you need a bankruptcy lawyer. My brothers office is doing great business right now. Gap insurance is like one of their first questions the more gap insurance the person has typically the worse their situation

Appreciate your concern, but doing just fine with my decision.

In Subaru owner news, snagged an Ironman awning on their BlackFriday sale

PatrickM

In Subaru owner news, snagged an Ironman awning on their BlackFriday sale
Dang it. I just orders a few things from them a couple of weeks ago. Nothing big, luckily. Totally forgot about black Friday at that time though. I could have saved maybe $25. Oh well.

We put one of the smaller rollout awnings on my girlfriend's CrossTrek. Just the little 4.5 footer. And I put their 6.5 foot version on my Scout's roof rack last year. It's a nice design. BTW, if you're going to be using their quick-disconnect setup with your awning, be advised that the "hook" pieces that stay on the rack (after removing the awning) kinda whistle at freeway speeds. We discovered that on a drive over to Prescott AZ and back earlier this year. It's not especially loud but after a few hours it gets a little annoying. Duct-taping off the holes and other voids did help.

karlfunk

After getting back from almost a year working abroad, we decided to take our new 2020 Outback on a 10,000 mile trip around the US in early 2021. We were lucky to be in NZ during the worst of CV19.

I built an insert for the back that had two drawers, one for food and one for cooking supplies (like a stove). It was a trifold design so that our dog could have the back seat while driving. The first fold had little wings that folded out to support it and the second had posts that I would screw in at night (with the front seats adjusted forward for maximum length). I covered most of the surfaces with speaker box fabric. The mattress was a trifold foam mattress that I trimmed a bit to fit nicely.

I am 6'2", my wife is pretty small, and Ellie (our dog) is 60lb, so it was pretty tight in there at night. But manageable.

We used a Thule box on top of the Outback for other things (like the tent we sometimes slept in for more room) and a Yakima Slim Shady awning that we rarely used.

The build came out pretty much exactly how I imagined it would (a rare result).

I took heaps of photos during the build and am happy to share details if anyone is interested.

Not sure what our plans are with it now (maybe sell it), as we are currently building out a WeeRoll trailer for more space and amenities while traveling. Super lightweight for towing behind the Outback. Of course the insert can go places the trailer will not be able to!

- Karl

IMG_7941 Large.jpegIMG_7944 Large.jpegIMG_7948 Large.jpegIMG_7949 Large.jpegIMG_8142 Large.jpeg

ThundahBeagle

After getting back from almost a year working abroad, we decided to take our new 2020 Outback on a 10,000 mile trip around the US in early 2021. We were lucky to be in NZ during the worst of CV19.

I built an insert for the back that had two drawers, one for food and one for cooking supplies (like a stove). It was a trifold design so that our dog could have the back seat while driving. The first fold had little wings that folded out to support it and the second had posts that I would screw in at night (with the front seats adjusted forward for maximum length). I covered most of the surfaces with speaker box fabric. The mattress was a trifold foam mattress that I trimmed a bit to fit nicely.

I am 6'2", my wife is pretty small, and Ellie (our dog) is 60lb, so it was pretty tight in there at night. But manageable.

We used a Thule box on top of the Outback for other things (like the tent we sometimes slept in for more room) and a Yakima Slim Shady awning that we rarely used.

I took heaps of photos during the build and am happy to share details if anyone is interested.

Not sure what our plans are with it now (maybe sell it), as we are currently building out a WeeRoll trailer for more space and amenities while traveling. Super lightweight for towing behind the Outback. Of course the insert can go places the trailer will not be able to!

- Karl

View attachment 757375View attachment 757376View attachment 757377View attachment 757378View attachment 757379

Nice setup. Is that the dog's blue and green ball I see at the lower right? Quick access so you can throw it first thing after opening the hatch and keep her busy while you unpack!

Dougnuts

Sadly, I am selling my 2015 Outback 3.6R to get something with a 3rd row. The advert may be a little confusing, due to the amount of stuff I have done this year. Check it out and let me know if you're interested. I'd like it to go to someone who will utilize the modifications that I've recently added, rather than just trading it in at a dealer.

LINK

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
That’s outstanding. Do you have a build thread or can you provide details?
No build thread.. just a one off weekend build....
$200 on brass bushings, steel round bar n square tubing.
Better than wilco brand or the likes.... and I get to keep my rear view camera and lic plate in the stock locations.
Here is one build pic... rear view cam and snow day
1671605190073.png1671605214331.pngsubisnow.jpg

karlfunk

Nice setup. Is that the dog's blue and green ball I see at the lower right? Quick access so you can throw it first thing after opening the hatch and keep her busy while you unpack!

Good eye. Half our kit was probably for the dog. I suppose fur babies are as demanding and accessorised as skin babies.

ThundahBeagle

Good eye. Half our kit was probably for the dog. I suppose fur babies are as demanding and accessorised as skin babies.

Indeed they are. Brought my Beagle along for the 6 thousand mile drive from Boston, to camping in the Badlands, Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Deadwood, Big Sky, Gallatin Gateway for a wedding, Yellowstone, past the Grand Tetons, some more camping in Colorado, then on back home. He was a real champ! Naturally we had to make sure he got out regularly, which was good because it forced me to stop more often than I really would have otherwise. And of course we kept him on leash any time he was out of the truck. Keep both him and the wild animals safe.

The frisbee was a good friend. It was versatile as a dog food dish, dog water dish, dog toy, wind blocker or fan when trying to get a fire going.

Hnoroian

Observer

- Karl

View attachment 757375View attachment 757376View attachment 757377View attachment 757378View attachment 757379

How do you access your spare tire? Wonderful job and looks very clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles