Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

loukoff

Here's my 1979 Subaru Brat I've been working on since 2015. Took me a couple years to get it back on the road after fixing rust, painting, putting in all new suspension, bushings, brakes and swapping in a rebuilt cammed, high compression ea81 1.8l engine with a rare twin carburetor set up and a dual range 4speed transmission. I originally built it as a street car but after driving it around for a year I decided it would be way more fun if I could take it out exploring the local state forests, WMAs and go on camping trips in it. I've been slowly trying to outfit it a little better.

First time back on the road after rebuild
Lake front by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Put on a factory subaru brush guard and some vintage fog lights I found at a thrift store. Fog lights will probably be moved up to avoid smashing them as they hang pretty low off the bumper.
IMG_5986 by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Drove it around a lot, going on camping and mountain biking trips and had a lot of fun.

Cuyuna by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr
Camping by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Cuyuna 2 by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

After putting about 4000 miles on it I decided it would be better off with a few more inches of ground clearance so I made some lift blocks to raise the front suspension and cranked the torsion bars in the back to lift it probably an inch over stock height. I also found a period correct winch and installed it on the brush guard.

Winch Mounted by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Raised by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

I'm currently planning to build a fiberglass tonneau cover to secure my gear better, and probably make engine and diff skid plates, and a rear bumper to hold my spare because the 14" peugeot rims wont fit were the original spare fit under the hood.

baipin

Good looking rig. Any more pics/info on your roof rack?

Thank you!

I designed the rack myself and had it cut by a local shop. It's basically a laser cut DIY "Prinsu rack" made out of 1/4" aluminum and some 80/20 extrusion. Really happy with how it turned out! If anyone wants to make their own, the .DWG files are here:

You will have to make your own brackets, obviously. I just bent some 16 ga. stainless for the brackets. Aluminum bar stock also works well, you just have to be more careful with bend radius and work hardening. My 80/20 crossbars are about 43" wide, but if I were to do this again, I'd go for ones 3" - 4" larger and secure the rack by the 80'20 crossbars rather than by these laser cut panels. The install is just a little bit easier that way.

MCRiOEw.jpg

borison

Adventurer
Thank you!

I designed the rack myself and had it cut by a local shop. It's basically a laser cut DIY "Prinsu rack" made out of 1/4" aluminum and some 80/20 extrusion. Really happy with how it turned out! If anyone wants to make their own, the .DWG files are here:

You will have to make your own brackets, obviously. I just bent some 16 ga. stainless for the brackets. Aluminum bar stock also works well, you just have to be more careful with bend radius and work hardening. My 80/20 crossbars are about 43" wide, but if I were to do this again, I'd go for ones 3" - 4" larger and secure the rack by the 80'20 crossbars rather than by these laser cut panels. The install is just a little bit easier that way.

MCRiOEw.jpg
Thanks, looks really good. I was thinking it looked like a Prinsu. I really like this style of rack.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
We finally took the plunge ..... Living in the Rockies the last 9 years and being told about and seeing the capabilities of Subarus we finally did our homework and ordered a new 21 Crosstrek, 6 speed manual. We had to order it due to only being two in the US with the options, color and manual we wanted (wife wanted), one in California and the other in Florida.....both kinda far from Boulder, Co. Anyway, we're now 7 weeks out (10 weeks total) and we get routine updates from Subaru USA on the build status. Hope to have it time for next winter!
I won't be building it up since it'll be out light weight traveler (think back packing weight) but, it will see some mountain trails and passes as we continue to explore Colorado!
0BE905B7-3CA4-414F-9DE9-D8CE38F21997.jpeg

jpat30

Adventurer
@BritKLR
I too recently ordered a 21 Crosstrek Premium with a manual. Was in the same boat as well; only 2 cars in the entire state of TX where I live. One was under a recall notice and the other was over 800 miles away-well outside of the area the dealership would trade for. It was fine anyway, I didnt like the color of either. I ordered my car on my birthday, 03/17 and it should be in before the end of this month. Im stoked as I have never ordered a vehicle before and got to select color, options, etc. Like you, I am going to try and keep myself from going wild with mods on this vehicle and will use it for accessing trailheads and maybe hauling my wife and I's yaks. Subarus are such capable little rigs and I am looking forward to getting out and using ours to the fullest. Make sure you post up pics when yours comes in. Have a great weekend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste