Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

View attachment 456916
Did a test fit of the new RTT

Considering doing the same thing, was wondering why you went that way with the load bars. I have an Eezi Awn 1600 and am debating wether to go with a Forester or an Outback. Trying to come up with an option that still fits in the garage. According to the internet, the Outback is 2" shorter than the Forester but the design of the stock Outback rack looks to negate the height difference.

ktiemann

Considering doing the same thing, was wondering why you went that way with the load bars. I have an Eezi Awn 1600 and am debating wether to go with a Forester or an Outback. Trying to come up with an option that still fits in the garage. According to the internet, the Outback is 2" shorter than the Forester but the design of the stock Outback rack looks to negate the height difference.

The main reason was simply weight capacity. The Yakima round bars increase the dynamic load capacity slightly, but also the rigidity (stock bars have some flex). My brother in law and I were both in the tent testing it out after putting it on, totaling over 600 lb static with the tent included and everything stayed rock solid. The bolts on the Tepui would be tough to get tightened with the low clearance stock bars, and with all that weight on the roof it would probably put it very close to actually having the bolts hit the roof when loaded.

In addition to that, the pre-drilled holes on the Kukenam 3 are just barely too wide to fit between the two rails so we would have had to drill our own to make it work.

I would definitely recommend after market cross bars on whichever model you decide to go with, and that would make the Forester another couple of inches taller as well. How tight of a fit will it be for your garage?

From cars101.com :
2018 Forester Height-
2.5i without roof rails- 66.4"
all other models have roof rails- 68.2"

2018 Outback Height-
(except Touring model) 66.1" with crossbars in use, 65.7" with crossbars on rails, not used
Touring model only, 63.75" to top of roof rails, 67.25' to top of optional factory Thule Crossbars

WhatTheZo

EcoHitch in the rear so I can have a recovery point back there, too.

QUOTE]
A few members on the outback forum have been using this Draw Tite version that is very similar to the Eco Hitch, and has a very good price on Car ID
Just installed the Drawtite on my OB. The finish is not that great compared to the Ecohitch, but totally worth the ~$130 savings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

broncograveyard

Just our 14 Forester, Plans are still in the works for modifications. But already have several trips in it under our belt from Canada to Oregon.
9Sfgedf.jpg

uKrZ35k.jpg

Stuck! lol
TmBXGO5.jpg
Subi on the edge...don't mess with it

Smileyshaun

Observer
got a chance to take out the new car , so far I really like it , only thing I think I want to change is I'm going to give my tires and wheels to my fiance to put on her 2017 because she's already put 35,000 miles on it and I'm going to step down to 15 inch rims so I can have a little more Tire to soak up bumps

gorillamel

Dirty Blonde
Just installed the Drawtite on my OB. The finish is not that great compared to the Ecohitch, but totally worth the ~$130 savings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Can you share pics of it installed please? I looked on the link shared and no photos of it installed were on there. Was your rear clearance lowered much by it?

Battle

My haphazard expedition car. Love this thing - the best Subaru I've owned, and I've owned five of them including this one. Currently, I have adjustable lateral links and KYB struts/RalliTEK springs waiting to be installed to finally make this car not stock. Skid plates will be next. Then maybe a roof top tent. I'd love to dual range/manual transmission swap it too. The factory rear limited slip and 3.0 torque make for a really good snowmobile though.

Subaru Camping by Logan Utsman, on Flickr

phsycle

Adventurer
Battle, I would forget the monstrosity of a RTT. Get yourself a nicer ground tent instead and keep the weight off the roof. Keep it simple, which also goes with the theme you've got going on your nice Outback, steel wheels and all. (y)

Battle

Man, I like the way you think! That Eureka tent pictured is still holding up, but it's way old now and the rain fly has seen better days. I probably need to upgrade it regardless. The RTT idea really would be for my GF's comfort. Then again, we've talked about buying an older pop-up camper to tow around.

Battle

What tent is that? I'm kinda leaning toward a hard shell pop-up style tent, but I'm sure the more traditional ones like you have are lighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles