Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Itsavanman

Adventurer
no gee-whizbang stuff yet, but after 82k we've had a bang.. new clutch, control arm bushings, general maintenance. and a 2" lift has been ordered.

sK6OfnU.jpg

I have been living with this thinggy for 2.5 years now.. I have picked a plan at least I think I have. calling it the sleeper explorer (which is good because I sleep in it all the time) but I'll start some sort of build thread once its all underway.. after looking at capable modified scoobies, I have decided I want to make it capable, but, I don't want the outward "hey look at me I can 4x4 too" look of all these extra snorkels, lights, bush guards etc. mainly because I laugh when I see a pristine black jeep with all the recovery gear, thats never been used, and not a single scratch on it. so, that being said, stay tuned, its going to get a bumper cut with skid, stealth brush bar, and some aux lights, not to mention front and rear 2" receivers that will be used to tow / maneuver, as well as a place to stick a winch when needed.. not to mention a stealth snorkel :D

WhatTheZo

It's been a while since I put all the gear on the subie. Figure it'll be a good time to snap some recent pictures.

2" ADF lift with end links
Primitive full body armor
Kuat rack
Tepui awning with fourtrek mounts
Hitchgate Solo High Clearance.
Hodgepodge of US and Chinese made lights.
Cooper AT3s
7eb38c6ea727fb87c66ef4f3bb016a01.jpg
26439d7cf3e7a8ac88a38d054121223c.jpg
6f85633e476754a0fdc8bf03c9cbdf69.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I saw a sweet Forester today on my walk to work. Had a great sounding exhaust and it was lifted. Next thing I know I am on the Subaru website building a forester, then an outback, then an STi.

Deschutes

It's been a while since I put all the gear on the subie. Figure it'll be a good time to snap some recent pictures.

Kuat rack
Cooper AT3s

Couple questions for you, if you don't mind. Does the Solo lock in an open position? How is the view out the back with the Solo? Did you relocate the rear camera or just dealing with it? Any noticeable sag with the Solo and tire mounted, or did you upgrade the springs with the lift? Finally, any details on the light bar? Thanks.

quino171

Kuat rack
Cooper AT3s
7eb38c6ea727fb87c66ef4f3bb016a01.jpg
26439d7cf3e7a8ac88a38d054121223c.jpg
6f85633e476754a0fdc8bf03c9cbdf69.jpg

Awesome!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I decided to move to an AT tire for better fuel economy and highway manners. I am love the Cooper STT Pro but the lugs on there really hurt my MPG by making the engine work a bit harder and actually slowing me down a bit when I am towing. I went with the Falken Wildpeak AT3 225/74r16 (29.5") and boy have I seen a significant difference in mpg! The sidewall on these is very good and these are severe snow rated as well. They def don't look as aggressive as the STT Pro but I am loving them nonetheless. Most of the long trips I go on are a lot of highway miles to get to my final destination. Since I am towing a trailer as well I had to rethink the kind of tire that would work best for my situation.

DSC04215

DSC04214

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 11.48.27 AM

Cooper STT Pro:
FreneticFrontbumper

Itsavanman

Adventurer
well finally some pictures of my buggy, supprised a few folks, and actually because its so small, did better than some of the bigger rigs.. but here she is...

3NtxGX5.jpg

9sKQKAf.jpg

6DpxRSH.jpg

this ones funny, its not that tall, the plastic rocker panel blends in, making it look stupid tall..

Yxf22Nn.jpg

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
Yeah, the size of the Fozes make up for lack of anything else in a lot of situations. Like devil's staircase in Sedona. Normally pretty tricky but when your too narrow for the deep ruts it's pretty easy.

WhatTheZo

Couple questions for you, if you don't mind. Does the Solo lock in an open position? How is the view out the back with the Solo? Did you relocate the rear camera or just dealing with it? Any noticeable sag with the Solo and tire mounted, or did you upgrade the springs with the lift? Finally, any details on the light bar? Thanks.

It doesn't lock in the open position. It stays in place if you have it torqued to spec along with the extra tire weight. A good portion of the back window is obscured when I have the tire mounted. Currently I'm dealing with it, mostly because I don't keep the tire mounted unless I'm going on a long trip or somewhere secluded, which I really wouldn't have issues backing into things. There is some sag, as the Outbacks have a super soft suspension (I've hit my hitch on spots where I usually don't) and have some overload springs ready to go once I need to replace my struts.

Niilight light bars and floods. My ambers are Baja Designs (went expensive on the ones that I'd use mostly in the desert where it's super dusty or while following people in a caravan)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If anyone is looking to retain highway performance but needs a beefier tire and a little more aggressive tread I’ve been really happy with the BFG Advantage pro so far. Little heavier rubber compound holds up nice in the towing, very mild side wall luggs. Its not a trail tire but easily a dirt road tire. I found it good in the snow last yr and will see more snow action this yr. This on a 2010 OB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior