Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Just when I thought this forum aligned with most of my interests...I find this thread. I love it! This is my 2002 WRX 4EAT. I cant operate a clutch pedal anymore because I lost most of my left leg in 2012. Currently it has a stage 2 off the shelf tune, full exhaust, some brake and suspension work etc etc. I just got a trailer receiver and auzillary transmission cooler for it and I can tell this forum is going to make me reconsider installing a Forester suspension and all terrain tires...

Damn...unfortunately this forum isnt allowing me to post pics of my WRX.

So Ive been wanting to do a Forester or King suspension lift for about 2 years now. I had a complete setup but sold it like an idiot. Since finding this forum its made me want to lift it more than ever. Right now Ive got an oil cooler, trailer hitch and some other stuff toget done. I want to get the current state of it tip top before doing the lift. General Grabber AT2s, skid plate, grill guard and LED light bar will be on the list at some point. Ive also been scouring Craigslist for a 4wd extended cab truck and leavig this alone, but have had bo luck and Im thinking lifting this and going all out will be cheaper in the end. Now that I can post pics, heres more!

I know its got nothing on basically 100% of the rigs Ive seen on this forum as far as offroad capability goes, but its had a good bit done to it. Stage 2 Cobb tune, upgraded brakes and suspension and a couple other bits. My last vehicle was a lifted Cherokee 4 door with a snorkel and I feel vulnerable driving a car that cant hop curbs or run over zomb...er, fallen branches.

Cross

Here is a vid from our recent trip to Ocala Forest in C. FL testing our new tires Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 in 235 /65 R17

myko

Heres mine! Still needs lots of work!

18debfbe909ad4b689f82c717438bb94.jpg

7745bbb0a3d1a3c1ffe14eb2a91b930b.jpg

90edb0ac0734b9ec4c20575df04707ca.jpg

1d0d3c98db498b1bc2e4dc5761b7677b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hrminer92

I've been thinking about getting a new Subaru. The problem is that on other sites people complain about them using a lot of oil or having to get the head gaskets replaced around 100 thousand miles, etc.

I initially looked at a manual Crosstrek, but I've read complaints about the manuals were the ones with most of the oil consumption issues. Others were saying that the CVT is actually better offroad than a manual because it can handle the low speed situations better and there's no clutch to burn out while going over rocks, etc. Another complaint about the Crosstrek was that it was under powered and that for a few dollars more, you could get a Forester with a bigger, more powerful engine, more room, more gadgets, etc. Of course, Subaru is offering 0% interest on Foresters and Outbacks right now, so that's another thing to consider. Unfortunately, to get X-Mode one has to go with the CVT and after adding the prerequisite option package, it is about as expensive as the Outback. The big advantage with the Outback is that it can tow more, but it has a longer wheelbase and is CVT only.

Has anyone here used both a manual and CVT versions of the Crosstrek or Forester? Is one clearly superior to the other either on or off the road? I like using a manual (with the exception of when I'm in traffic jams - another good use for X-mode apparently).

Any other experience with these models that might help me make a decision would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I've been thinking about getting a new Subaru. The problem is that on other sites people complain about them using a lot of oil or having to get the head gaskets replaced around 100 thousand miles, etc.

I initially looked at a manual Crosstrek, but I've read complaints about the manuals were the ones with most of the oil consumption issues. Others were saying that the CVT is actually better offroad than a manual because it can handle the low speed situations better and there's no clutch to burn out while going over rocks, etc. Another complaint about the Crosstrek was that it was under powered and that for a few dollars more, you could get a Forester with a bigger, more powerful engine, more room, more gadgets, etc. Of course, Subaru is offering 0% interest on Foresters and Outbacks right now, so that's another thing to consider. Unfortunately, to get X-Mode one has to go with the CVT and after adding the prerequisite option package, it is about as expensive as the Outback. The big advantage with the Outback is that it can tow more, but it has a longer wheelbase and is CVT only.

Has anyone here used both a manual and CVT versions of the Crosstrek or Forester? Is one clearly superior to the other either on or off the road? I like using a manual (with the exception of when I'm in traffic jams - another good use for X-mode apparently).

Any other experience with these models that might help me make a decision would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Honestly, I think that will depend entirely on your usage. If you're planning more "hardcore" off-roading and technical trail driving, the CVT might be a better idea. Off-roading / technical driving with a manual adds another layer of complication on something you should be focusing 100% of your attention on (unless you learned to drive that way, of course - in which case, more power to you!)

Personal experience - my trail driver is an automatic Nissan, and my daily driver is a 5-speed Impreza. Haven't driven any of the CVT Subarus; I'm sure someone else will chime in with some experience.

Don't think you can go wrong either way :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles