Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

No pictures of our new Subaru but we got a nice, clean 09 Forester for the wife's daily driver and our weekend adventures.

Wanted to ask if anyone has used an ARB Simpson II style flip open roof top tent on their Subby? I have seen several coffins style Maggnolia tents but no of the other style. Thinking about swapping my CVT Mt Shasta back and forth between the truck and car.

Based in Huntington Beach CA http://www.bigfoottents.com/

trip1.jpg
trip2.jpg
From our last weekender from Yellowknife down to the MacKenzie Highway. Want to explore more here in the future. Drive the winter roads from Wrigley to Colville Lake, above the Arctic Circle.

Rot Box

Explorer
Jumping on board.. My wife and I bought an 07 Outback 2.5i (100k miles) recently to replace our beloved 98 Honda CR-V. So far it's been pretty exciting.. We racked up nearly 200 miles before deciding to pull the engine out due to a head gasket spewing oil all over the exhaust :Wow1:

There was a quote that goes something like--- the greatest adventures are the ones were nothing goes as planned... :rolleyes: LOL

Action shots:

IMG_3329_zpsfjiperse.jpg

IMG_3316_zpstlhxsbws.jpg

IMG_3326_zps1ipjgrzb.jpg

IMG_3330_zpspq1we4kh.jpg

fike

Adventurer
I am starting a new 2016 Forester XT light-expedition vehicle.

Mods are subtle at this point:
new 235/55R18 Michelin Defender LTX M/S, slightly oversized
Rigid 20" LED lightbar going in
LED fogs
Skid plates will be coming soon

23504456669_e43557e49c_h_d.jpg

23576641630_d4b242e686_h_d.jpg

Last edited:

fike

Adventurer
sweet forester, where are you gonna mount the light bar ?

The LED light bar will be mounted on a bracket that comes out of the grill and places the light immediately above the front license plate. I will post pics when it is in place.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Jumping on board.. My wife and I bought an 07 Outback 2.5i (100k miles) recently to replace our beloved 98 Honda CR-V. So far it's been pretty exciting.. We racked up nearly 200 miles before deciding to pull the engine out due to a head gasket spewing oil all over the exhaust :Wow1:

There was a quote that goes something like--- the greatest adventures are the ones were nothing goes as planned... :rolleyes: LOL

That's unfortunate. I keep looking at getting a Subaru but then I keep hearing stories like these. There's the class action lawsuit against the newer ones too.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
There's the class action lawsuit against the newer ones too.

Subaru head gaskets are supposed to wear out at just over 100,000 miles. So is the timing belt and radiator. I was angry in my ignorance of that last one myself, but sure enough it's right there in the service manual. Consumer ignorance should not automatically mean manufacturer guilt. :rolleyes:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Subaru head gaskets are supposed to wear out at just over 100,000 miles. So is the timing belt and radiator. I was angry in my ignorance of that last one myself, but sure enough it's right there in the service manual. Consumer ignorance should not automatically mean manufacturer guilt. :rolleyes:

I thought the lawsuit was about the piston rings? It's hard to remember with Subaru's interesting "maintenance schedule".

Chazz Layne

Administrator
It might be, it'd be nice for a class-action to actually make sense. I wouldn't be surprised either way in this sue-happy society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles