Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
View attachment 233799View attachment 233798Just for fun I decided to try an RTI ramp at my local Jeep club's show n shine, actually there was two subi's that tried the ramp but the other was a stock '11 Forester that belonged to a local radio station, they did it for fun and actually didn't do that bad.....

Funny thing is that I could have kept going up but my front bumper was going to tear off, I didn't really follow the "rules" for the RTI ramp, I should have disconnected the swaybars and kept all four tires on the ground. Many of my Jeep friends couldn't believe how well it climbed and didn't expect that from my car.

Jer

awesomeness! CDDC and plated/mechanical LSDs?

coppertop_01

Crazy Ginger
Everything mechanical other than the coilovers are stock on this car, I think the reason why I made it up so far is because both the front tires stayed completely planted and wouldn't let it slip.

Jer

ryanoddi

Lifted WRX on A/T's

Ok so here is my expedition WRX! Just lifted it about a week ago. Has a bunch of other performance and suspension goodies as well, mostly installed by previous owners.

It's sitting on Forester struts/springs with a few little extras to get the suspension aligned.

Tires are 215/65/R16 General Grabber AT2's.

Primitive 3/16" aluminum front and rear skid plates installed for some much needed protection.

I also installed a dual battery system in the back seat, and mounted an air compressor in where the factory jack is accessed and wire it to the battery. Not going to add a switch or anything to make it an official "on board air system," since I don't want to over complicate things, but I can turn it on/off easily using the built in power button.

Next up are 2 6" Hella spot lights, not sure how I'll be mounting them just yet as well as some bed liner for the bumpers and side skirts.

I'm from Ohio and I'm about to take this a year long road trip around many of the western states. My first stop will actually be in Pennsylvania for the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival on July 11-13th. I actually just found out about it a week ago and quickly made the decision to go there first. I plan on attending next years Overland Expo in Flagstaff as well!

http://www.overlandfestival.com/event-info/

http://s827.photobucket.com/user/ryanoddi/library/WRX

Last edited:

ryanoddi

Since the tires are heavier and larger diameter, you notice it a little bit when taking off from dead stop. Acceleration still feels great though once you're spooling!

The first tank average, with mileage correction made for tire size, was 23.74. Mostly city, but probably about a 1/3 highway with a few spirited pulls, for good measure :sombrero: I'd usually get 25-26 driving like that.

BTW the WRX is pro-tuned and has good amount of bolt ons and sees mid 30's on the highway. My best overall tank average was 31.2 with 80% highway. I'm generally conservative with my speed too. I'm never in a rush anymore and trying to maintain a clean driving record!

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Ok so here is my expedition WRX! Just lifted it about a week ago. Has a bunch of other performance and suspension goodies as well, mostly installed by previous owners.

It's sitting on Forester struts/springs with a few little extras to get the suspension aligned.

Tires are 215/65/R16 General Grabber AT2's.

Primitive 3/16" aluminum front and rear skid plates installed for some much needed protection.

I also installed a dual battery system in the back seat, and mounted an air compressor in where the factory jack is accessed and wire it to the battery. Not going to add a switch or anything to make it an official "on board air system," since I don't want to over complicate things, but I can turn it on/off easily using the built in power button.

Next up are 2 6" Hella spot lights, not sure how I'll be mounting them just yet as well as some bed liner for the bumpers and side skirts.

I'm from Ohio and I'm about to take this a year long road trip around many of the western states. My first stop will actually be in Pennsylvania for the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival on July 11-13th. I actually just found out about it a week ago and quickly made the decision to go there first. I plan on attending next years Overland Expo in Flagstaff as well!

http://www.overlandfestival.com/event-info/

http://s827.photobucket.com/user/ryanoddi/library/WRX

good looking rig! If you coe through Moab, drop e a line!
ciao and happy cruisin'! ;)

smorris

Hi gang,

I just joined up here specifically so I could see the embedded photos in this thread. Some amazing Subarus! Thanks for sharing. I've seen some ideas to possibly add to mine at some point.

I've got an '02 Bugeye WRX wagon that is definitely not trail-worthy. It's been lowered a bit for autocross, and I removed the rails for a slick look. It is low enough that I need to run it up on some 2X6 boards to get my Craftsman floor jack under the lip.

DSC_2275-XL.jpg

It likes snow, just not too much of it.

DSC_0006-XL.jpg

I also have a 2008 OBXT 5MT. I had the Subaru HD basket (Yakima Load Warrior) with the 18" extension and two Yakima ForkLift bike racks.

DSC_0004-XL.jpg

But we recently got a couple of kayaks, so I took off the basket, added Thule 58" crossbars, Thule kayak racks, and the Yakima Forklifts, which all work great together.

DSC_0010-XL.jpg

I'm about due for some KYB rear struts and a set of Geolanders to replace the stock tires.

Details of my cars can be seen in the link in my sig. I look forward to seeing more great ideas, and I'm glad I stumbled across this site!

Steve

LukesPa

Observer
The wife's former rig 2010 Outback

IMG_1976.jpg

This was my wife's rig and our family trip car for several years. The resale was so high we sold it to pay off some bills and leased a 2014 Forester resulting in a net monthly savings of over $100, plus a bit better mileage. The Outback was great and was our second Subaru after our first an '06 Forester gave it life for us. The new Forester gets better mileage and is faster than the Outback, but I really miss the paddle shifters. The new Forester is a very base model and doesn't have those or the roof rack. Great cars and I expect we'll always own one or two.

Ironically much of the time we owned this Outback I had a full sized 4x4 truck with a Four Wheel Camper. I loved the FWC but for the obvious economic reasons if we went on longer trips and wouldn't need to sleep in the camper we took the Subaru.

Quick story, while exploring a back road near Fairplay CO in the outback, I missed the little stake that served as the sign indicating I was now on a Jeep trail. After a few miles as I was climbing a rutted two track road covered with cantelope sized rocks in rain that was becoming snow. My wife asks "should we be on this road in my car?" My son, 11 at the time, says " it's OK mom we have 4 wheel drive". I said "actually we have all wheel drive". He says "what's the difference?" Not sure I could explain it well enough I just said "the difference is I'm looking for a place to turn around" I still need to go back in my Jeep or in the new Subaru without the Mrs. to see where that road eventually goes.

machine1

Explorer
Depending on the size of the tire, some will fit in the spare tire well of a Forester.
My option will be on the roof basket as soon as I find a cheap wheel. And a roof basket.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Our spare is in the stock location on the Foz. I did have to let all the air out first, but it dropped in with minimal fuss after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles