Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The new lower geared Outback special trim is finally the correct gearing!!! I bought a Legacy GT back in 2001 because the GT got lower gearing than the OB. Yes!!! It made a huge difference!!!

Its even more important today with the 2000rpm stall on the CVT. Subaru when it went CVT should have leveraged the cvt technology and dropped the diff gearing on all the “off road” models Trek, Forester and Outback they would have kept their old timers given the new cars would have been as capable as the old ones with the 4-5spd and manual trans. So now they finally get with it and go lower gearing on one new trim offering.

The rest are geared too high for the lousy cvt.

utherjorge

Observer
I won't take my 2019 Outback anywhere.

It left me stranded three times with a dead battery or screwed up electrical. No way I take it anywhere remote now.

Never got to the lift kit after the breakdowns. Just bought an e350.
Subarus re rife with problems. This is well-known, so you made a good call overall. Ignore the haters here

utherjorge

Observer
The new lower geared Outback special trim is finally the correct gearing!!! I bought a Legacy GT back in 2001 because the GT got lower gearing than the OB. Yes!!! It made a huge difference!!!

Its even more important today with the 2000rpm stall on the CVT. Subaru when it went CVT should have leveraged the cvt technology and dropped the diff gearing on all the “off road” models Trek, Forester and Outback they would have kept their old timers given the new cars would have been as capable as the old ones with the 4-5spd and manual trans. So now they finally get with it and go lower gearing on one new trim offering.

The rest are geared too high for the lousy cvt.
and this doesn't solve the rest of the (well-known) CVT worries. I really like their rigs, but my awful Subie experience, along with what's known on the webz means it's a "never" from me.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
and this doesn't solve the rest of the (well-known) CVT worries. I really like their rigs, but my awful Subie experience, along with what's known on the webz means it's a "never" from me.
My issue today is that all 6 of our dealers in our region like to quote pie in the sky service fees for simple things like front diff gear oil service or cvt drain fill service. Both of which are the only dealer item I would do given Subaru’s bad habit of faulty parts and not covering them if any indication a 3rd party serviced the car. Granted lots of trashed CVT’s with gear oil in them due mixed up plugs.. $600 for a diff service is so stupid I told the service sales guy he better go look at the book time and tell me quick with a new quote or he’ll forever be known as the Subaru service guy selling BS. Lol I got it done for $120 still steep given $120 60k prior same Subaru location different owner was $120 for front and rear diffs. Lol

jpat30

Adventurer
Well, now that you two have spent the last 2 days pooping on this thread :p, how about back to the original point; pictures of subie rigs....

Here is my latest addition to the fleet; a 2021 Crosstrek Premium with the manual trans. I ordered this car on 03/17 and picked it up on 05/29. Plans are to throw on a small lift (probably the LP Aventure 1.5), some 17 inch AT tires, Prinsu Roof Rack and a front skid plate. The goal is to have a capable soft roader for getting to good trailheads and that will return respectable MPGs. So far though, I have really enjoyed driving it and look forward to many years of faithful adventures.

Goose.jpgGoose.jpg

s.e.charles

so why does one group say the breed sucks, and another love it? is reality somewhere in between? they seem to sell a bunch of them, so how bad can they really be?

jpat30

Adventurer
In my opinion, it really is somewhere in between. You can always find reasons to back up your claims about one brand/manufacturer/widget being superior to another if you look hard enough. One of the things that drew me to this hobby of ours though is that in most circles, it doesnt matter what you drive as long as you get out and do it. We all share a love of the outdoors, we just choose different avenues to see it.....

utherjorge

Observer
My issue today is that all 6 of our dealers in our region like to quote pie in the sky service fees for simple things like front diff gear oil service or cvt drain fill service. Both of which are the only dealer item I would do given Subaru’s bad habit of faulty parts and not covering them if any indication a 3rd party serviced the car. Granted lots of trashed CVT’s with gear oil in them due mixed up plugs.. $600 for a diff service is so stupid I told the service sales guy he better go look at the book time and tell me quick with a new quote or he’ll forever be known as the Subaru service guy selling BS. Lol I got it done for $120 still steep given $120 60k prior same Subaru location different owner was $120 for front and rear diffs. Lol
I believe your numbers, and don't get it. But there's a local guy who is a friend of mine who is THE subie guy for anyone nearby, and he's well-used and well-loved. Your numbers are probably why.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Then it died right on the I-94 outside of Madison Wisconsin on Thursday . Completely locked up the transmission and front axle, with just 73050 miles! I had it into the dealer complaint in about the transmission overheating constantly and they told me they could not duplicate the issue! I have several pics and videos of it overheating! Now there is no denying the issue exists. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN SUBARU
However today Subaru of America said that they will have the vehicle towed into a dealer and they will get it fixed. I wont complain much more or give any details about the actual incident yet If they keep their word and fix the car then I will just chalk it up as a thing that happened. If they dont I will gladly post video of the incident on YouTube. It did after all put myself and passengers in danger, as well as others on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste