Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

sharkoverland

Observer
Funny you say that I just removed the Hella lights. I left the round LED's on they don't block air flow. I have often thought the same but never had any cooling issues with them on. Going to put the hella lights on my 06 outback.

sharkoverland

Observer
before
2n0pshe.jpg

after
hvqrsl.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I loved the Hellas on your bumper...Looked great....add 55w HID in 4300k into them and you have a serious set of lights! Not all lights take hid well but the 500 series from hella is one exception. Mine were awesome. I think I'm installing them on my patriot! lights don't block a lot of air, it just goes around them. In all the years driving, and I have done ALOT, I have never had an issue with any vehicle in any condition with temps while having lights mounted in front of the grill.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I might be taking the hellas off. I noticed my temp was 222f(dont know how high it got) and dropping as I pulled into my driveway last night after my 20min highway commute. Ambient temp was high 70's. Seems a little high.

I fit some hella horns on it a few days ago, being careful not to block any more airflow.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
This was quite a thread to go through! Lot of really awesome subis here
My friend has a 11 Impreza that's getting lifted this summer, King coils(1.1" Front + 1.3" Rear) + Adf lift with 2" Front and 2 3/8" Rear on 215/70r16s

All stock with the front sway bar still on

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Regarding the towing vs stopping. I've towed a bunch with two legacy platforms since 01. I found stopping distances started to be impacted above 1600lbs but was still better than my J80 with the same trailer. Going heavy 2000lbs stopping takes more attention and trailer brakes would really help. I've skidded through a huge intersection in a big dodge with a few big Quarter Horses in tow. Even in the most hairy Subaru towing events at 1800lbs the Legacy and outback were both very composed and hauled things to a stop nicely.

I target about 1200-1400lbs as our ideal big road trip trailer weight. The OB hardly notices. Typical 2.5 mileage on big trips with sleek roof box and lifetime 4x6 with gear stacked on it is 21mpg 60-70mpg speeds. My my bike on the roof knocks us down to typical 18mpg averages.

My racing sailboat, 1800lbs all up 26ft long hitch to stern and 8.5ft wide and roof line high I ran 16-18mpg averages. Was one of the best towing trailers I've ever had. Dragged it across NV and Utah at 85mph behind a Yukon nearly pegged flat out without so much as a bobble. The Legacy and OB towed it beautifully at 60-65mph. Pre 2010 Subarus struggled with adiquate cooling capacity especially in 80+ temps. Cooler temps they were perfectly happy to pull hard.

The NA 2.5 will pull all day at 3100-3200rpm during climbs. 3500+ temps seem to start creeping up.

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
That's actually not bad at all going 75, towing a brick. Guessing you'll be in low 20's if you drop down to 65mph. Nice set up.

Just got back from a trip up into southern Utah towing the trailer, about 700 miles round trip. I dropped my cruising speed to 70 and on big climbs turned off the ACC and kept the RPM around 3K - averaged 22 MPG.

Ahh - and I ditched those BFG TAs on the trailer and put on some of Discount Tire's Pathfinder Sport SAT - that could have a lot to do with the improved highway mileage.\

kpbra2.ang.l.jpg

Last edited:

iluvdrt

Brat Driver
Havent posted in awhile, but I made some MAJOR changes to my Brat. I did a complete engine conversion and added in a EJ22 from a 1996 Subaru Legacy Donor car with low miles. Complete reseal on the engine, Tbelts, tune up, etc. Added some lights in the rear by the head rests to blind tail gaters, and provide lighting for tailgating while in the bush...desert...wherever lol. I also modified a Subaru L series power steering rack to give myself power steering finally.

Tested her out at a few places and after some good off roading I took her out to Joshua tree and did about 800 miles. Performed amazingly well. Completed the whole Old Dale mine road, Berdoo Canyon, Geology tour, and even Brooklyn mine road! We had a few weird looks on some of them being in "cars" but everyone was cool and it was a great time.

Engine pic is pretty early in the conversion. I ended up getting a custom intake made without the plumbing pipes, and rerouted my breathers, but this paints the picture fine lol.

Attachments

• 17202928_10210391683686906_3940061059486427296_n.jpg
    17202928_10210391683686906_3940061059486427296_n.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 15871603_10209813826960849_6896094087002949204_n.jpg
    15871603_10209813826960849_6896094087002949204_n.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
Havent posted in awhile, but I made some MAJOR changes to my Brat. I did a complete engine conversion and added in a EJ22 from a 1996 Subaru Legacy Donor car with low miles. Complete reseal on the engine, Tbelts, tune up, etc. Added some lights in the rear by the head rests to blind tail gaters, and provide lighting for tailgating while in the bush...desert...wherever lol. I also modified a Subaru L series power steering rack to give myself power steering finally.

Tested her out at a few places and after some good off roading I took her out to Joshua tree and did about 800 miles. Performed amazingly well. Completed the whole Old Dale mine road, Berdoo Canyon, Geology tour, and even Brooklyn mine road! We had a few weird looks on some of them being in "cars" but everyone was cool and it was a great time..

Diggin the Brat! I cut my driving teeth on a 1976 Subaru sedan.

1976_Subaru_GF_Sedan.jpg

The FWD and light weight took us all over the desert. FWD was unheard of in the states at that time. I had everybody in town convinced that the "FWD" emblem meant "Four Wheel Drive".

When the Brat was introduced, I was smitten. **************' concept and those jump seats in the bed were off the charts. Being in High School, a new car was not an option, but I've always thought they were cool.

Thanks for keeping the dream alive

Last edited:

jordansays

First time posting on Expedition Portal. I love this Subaru thread. Here is my 2015 Crosstrek in the Henry Mountains of Utah this spring. Next is a 2" lift and hopefully a bumper cut.
IMG_0973.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior