Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I went to Ocala with my bro and his JKU, and that sand is not 40+, unless it's a SxS with floaters. This is not beach sand, it's quick sand. It's squirms out from under the tires until you hit something hard and you're tossed to the side. On the single track trails, it's more consistent and supportive.

We had a great time. And the beers at the Blackwater Inn in Astor, overlooking the St John's River, were mighty tasty and welcome. :friday:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Do you have to watch your temp guage while driving in that terrain or is it easier than it looks?

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
I picked up this on Friday.

I ordered new tires already but head gaskets and timing belt and that stuff will probably happen when it gets warmer out.

It also needs paint.....like, ASAP

20161203_100847e.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Got my primitive skid plates installed today. The front and mid plate where both a piece of cake, the rear diff plate was a PITA. I'm just shy of the 1000 mile break in period, time to see what it's got.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Got my primitive skid plates installed today. The front and mid plate where both a piece of cake, the rear diff plate was a PITA. I'm just shy of the 1000 mile break in period, time to see what it's got.

I just put the front and mid plates on my friends Crosstrek last night. I couldn't get the rear diff plate on. How'd you end up doing it?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
It took me longer to do that little diff plate than the other two combined.

I loosened the nuts and pried the diff away from its mount like the instructions stated to do, this did not work. I then hammered a half inch wooden dowel between the diff and mount and tried moving the plate up in between with both hammering the plate and jacking it with a floor jack, this did not work. It seemed like I was making enough space for the plate to slide into but it seemed like the slots were very precise cut and the plate needed to be perfectly aligned and there wasnt enough room to see what I was doing. Also it was about 32F and aluminum plate has an amazing ability to make your un-gloved hands go numb. I finally dug around and the garage found a ratchet strap. I pulled forward on the rear diff's front cross-member(there is kind of a front and rear mount for the rear diff). It took about as much force to do as I could muster but it made about a 1/4" of gap at the rear of the diff. It still wasn't easy to get the plate in between. I lubed everything up with some waxy under coat spray I had handy and then I used a combination of prying, hammering, and jacking to get it into place.

If I had to do it again I would consider semi-removal of the rear diff.

Last edited:

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
It took me longer to do that little diff plate than the other two combined.

I loosened the nuts and pried the diff away from its mount like the instructions stated to do, this did not work. I then hammered a half inch wooden dowel between the diff and mount and tried moving the plate up in between with both hammering the plate and jacking it with a floor jack, this did not work. It seemed like I was making enough space for the plate to slide into but it seemed like the slots were very precise cut and the plate needed to be perfectly aligned and there wasnt enough room to see what I was doing. Also it was about 32F and aluminum plate has an amazing ability to make your un-gloved hands go numb. I finally dug around and the garage found a ratchet strap. I pulled forward on the rear diff's front cross-member(there is kind of a front and rear mount for the rear diff). It took about as much force to do as I could muster but it made about a 1/4" of gap at the rear of the diff. It still wasn't easy to get the plate in between. I lubed everything up with some waxy under coat spray I had handy and then I used a combination of prying, hammering, and jacking to get it into place.

If I had to do it again I would consider semi-removal of the rear diff.

I tried a ratchet strap, but it wasn't a very big one. I'll give that a go again. Thanks.

p nut

butter
Buddha - Let's see your Forester. I've got a newer Outback (due to kids), but always have loved Foresters.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just put new shoes on the OB. Prior set were at the wear bars at 45,000 miles. BFG Advatage T/A the prior generation had a boring highway tread but proved to be really tough great tires. The new BFG Advantage pro T/A has a more luggy aggressive tread. Looks great on the OB.
I cant get too offroady on the rubber given this rig sees lots of pavement miles. So finding a rugged tire that still gives good pavement performance has been tough. Most All season car tires seem to be soft squishy things that tear open the moment you touch some rough gravel. These bfgs were beat on really hard and were an awsome find.

I really dig the new tread pattern.20161207_112514.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Buddha - Let's see your Forester. I've got a newer Outback (due to kids), but always have loved Foresters.

20161208_162145.jpg

Ha, I work so much the only picture I can take of the forester is on my security monitor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online