Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Well the oil use issue was due to low friction metal treatments vs wrong oil control rings being used 2012-13 were the main problem yrs in the new FP engine family. The EJ engines I've had two in 300,000 miles 2001 and 2010's were prone to HG external leaks due to a few reasons. I only had one issue at 65k Subaru fixed it out of warranty "Told me shouldnt have happened" gave it back and I put another 120,000 on it and only sold it because we needed more space.

The 2001 was a 5spd mt.
The 2010 is a cvt. Surprisingly I like it. Its a great match to the OB.

My personal oppinion the Impreza platform is too light payload is too small. Thats the same platform as the Forester. Subaru really only makes three vehicles. The impreza, the Legacy and the rwd coupe.

The OB is just enough load capacity to do a somewhat geared up overlander effort without too many issues. If you want power get the silky smooth H6. But the 2.5 gets er done too. A few OB 2.5s have done the big Colorado passes. But the 2.5 was running short on power at altitude. 3.6H6 would do better in high alt stuff. Or the Turbo Forester, but your again working with less payload.

fike

Adventurer
Here is my Subie on Flagpole Knob in Virginia and on its way down.

Here is the offroad route...not for a car...easy for a well-driven jeep...just right for a subie.
Gaia GPS Flagpole Knob Route

Gd5p2Bs.jpg

qWpKTYd.jpg

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I put a deposit down on a 2017 Manual forester base model. There where exactly 2 in the the entire metro area in this configuration that I wanted. I was looking for something to replace my blazer, something that rode better and did better than 18 mpg highway. The towing capacity is the only compromise. The payload is 1184, my blazer has a payload only about a hundred pounds higher. The average half ton truck is only about 1500.

I drove the CVT before they got my manual from the warehouse, I was expecting it to feel slow but it felt much quicker than my blazer. The manual took some getting used to I don't think I'll be heel toe shifting anytime soon. It been a while since I drove a manual, someone totaled my mustang a couple years ago. I could tell the power doesn't really come on until about 3k and I was trying to keep it under 4k for break in. Even short shifting it like that It felt plenty fast. It's a grocery getter not a rally car after all.

I'm probably not going to mod it much. Maybe skidplates so I can kit the giant rock hard frozen snow berms we get here on the roads without fear of ripping off my exhaust. I have to decide if I'm going to try and fit the big Hella 4000's on it or sell them and get something more compact.

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
just looked at every page in this thread and i am thoroughly impressed. out ************* standing, and well damn done folks!!!! it is a pleasure to see subarus doing this sort of activity. all the subaru owners do here is install the rally armor mudflaps and go to meets with a small percentage actually making it to an autox or two (eric if your on here, you know im not talking bout you. youre the epitome of a suby owner, autox, hillclimbs and rallyx) if there are people here doing this kind of activities with their subys, i apologize, i never hear or see anything about you guys. i tried for 7 years to get the suby folks out to our perpetually dying rallyx events. maybe saw one or two actually make it out more than once. either way, ill stop whining, but so many ************ cars in here i had to post and say nice work everybody!!

i do have questions though... how do you guys get your alignments back into spec? standard camber kits or are you guys fabbing stuff? also, wear and tear. are you going through axles or any other drive train stuff on the regular?

On my recent trip to Oregon to get my 4" installed I met up with Brian from http://subaru-adventures.com/ and he put together some video footage of some fun trail runs we did in the Oregon area as well as some build highlights while at ADF. Bryan is a true talent and is responsible for a lot of legendary Subaru related stuff and it was an honor to meet him finally after all these years. Video is a short breakdown of my recent trip to Oregon from last week.....Enjoy!

Jzsquared

So how did they compensate for the CV joint angle. Lifting anything 4" would put the CV angles at their max or beyond.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Got my blizzacks on 16" steelies mounted a couple days ago. Tire rack has the steelies listed at 30# each, I was concerned this was gonna be more than my 17" factory steelies because of thier bargin bin price. With me holding the tire/wheel combo on a bathroom scale I was not able to get a clear differance between the stock setup and the winter setup. The mpg screen is showing 27.5 for this tank so far. Havent had a chance to hand calculate so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles