Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
My how the times have changed. Back in the day we looked to the boys down under for the nice Forester and Outback builds. Now, they're in North America :)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
My how the times have changed. Back in the day we looked to the boys down under for the nice Forester and Outback builds. Now, they're in North America :)

The Aussies still get the 2-speed transfer cases, though. If I get another scooby, I'd love to get one of those!

@Hondaslayer Yeah I agree! Nothing like American made steel bumpers though. Most of the ones in Australia are aluminum do to local regulations. thanks for the compliments.

The Aussies still get the 2-speed transfer cases, though. If I get another scooby, I'd love to get one of those!

From what I have heard the dual ranges available on the "newer" Subarus aren't all what they are cracked up to be. I have a few friends who run them and in the US we salivate over them simply because we cannot get them here via an OEM option. There are other ways to make these even more capable than they are but TBH I am perfectly happy and content with where my Foz takes me. I have taken many "jeep trails" and have had no problems. Not looking to rock crawl.. As you can see in the video it mostly comes down to the driver in most cases. If doing Moab in a Legacy isn't enough proof then I don't know what is..haha

That is beautiful. What did you use to cut the plastic bumper? I've been noodling something similar, and your rig is the best I've seen so far (Sorry, Grant).

Thanks man. This will give you an idea..This is a SubaXtreme video showing how to install one of their aluminum bumpers on a Foz.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I wanted one in my WRX-"Outback" just because I wanted to be able to go a little slower over the really rough stuff without having to ride the clutch/brake. I had a bit more up travel than a normal WRX, but it wasn't a trophy truck, for sure!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
From what I have heard the dual ranges available on the "newer" Subarus aren't all what they are cracked up to be. I have a few friends who run them and in the US we salivate over them simply because we cannot get them here via an OEM option. There are other ways to make these even more capable than they are but TBH I am perfectly happy and content with where my Foz takes me. I have taken many "jeep trails" and have had no problems. Not looking to rock crawl.. As you can see in the video it mostly comes down to the driver in most cases. If doing Moab in a Legacy isn't enough proof then I don't know what is..haha

I really liked my old Legacy man that was a great car. Way stiffer than the wagon. This one looks like a 3.6L with the 5eat possibly. Not sure the first 2010-12's cvts had the spin tolerence in the logic where as the 5eat would let you spin more when needed.

The 13 and newer cvts got some revisions and xmode that increased the wheel spin tolerance letting you push them harder.

Its pretty impressive what the Subarus can do. And still be great long distance pavement machines.

snow60X

Just picked up my Foz in January and did a ton of general maintenance with it, added some primitive skid plates, 215/65/16 Geolander AT-S tires and a Big Foot Tents hardshell RTT to it. Did 9000 miles last month, CA-NC-CA-IL and will be pulling the motor out since it's due for some 200k mile maintenance and nice fresh gaskets to last until the next timing belt is due. Plans are to lift it, new suspension, front and rear bumpers with external tire and jerry can mounts, dual range trans, shower setup, and fridge and solar setup. This is my 3rd Subaru and love them. I got so many surprised looks in my old 1997 Impreza OBS that was stock when I lived in UT on a lot of the trails.

20160221_111011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz