Subaru Outback Wilderness

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Huh. Normally I like the look of off roady packages. This... Not so much. I think they over did it with the plastic. I'd stick with a regular Outback.

From the comments:

"Floorit
3 hours ago

Can we expect more "macho" dog breeds in their ads? Wolves? Coyotes?"

Seriously, I think this upgrade may be a winner.

utherjorge

Observer
Without doing a deep dive of the internet to back my point up, it's a different worry than the Bronco Sport supposedly has.

The Bronco Sport (and other companies with poopie AWD systems) has a rear diff that overheats. The BS goes into limp mode and shuts off the AWD until it cools down. This happened to some journalists on test drives.

The Subie is different, and maybe worse? The Subie AWD is pretty good. Loved the one I had and it was pretty stout and seamless when it engaged. Subie engines are still a huge problem, but the CVT transmission does something similar to the BS rear diff in that it overheats and goes into limp mode or shuts down. There are stories of many engines and trannies being swapped out regularly at Subie dealers. I know someone at two of them and can confirm, though one friend says that the Kia/Hyundai problems are way worse.

The overall problem is that both are marketed with an image...that they can't back up in the real world. Of course, Fords have the extra fun problem of being bad at their launch...but I digress from the point of this thread.

Thanks. We will be taking our 2017 Outback (that we just paid off) in for an oil change next week. I was thinking I would check this one out, but that sounds like a deal breaker.

4xpedition

I prepared a full, detailed commentary about the 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness. And, this is coming from experience taking lifted Subaru Outbacks over Engineer Pass and Imogene Pass.

Attachments

• subaru-outback-wilderness-overland-4xpedition.jpg
    subaru-outback-wilderness-overland-4xpedition.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 50

Grassland

I prepared a full, detailed commentary about the 2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness. And, this is coming from experience taking lifted Subaru Outbacks over Engineer Pass and Imogene Pass.
Thanks for the article.

The product strikes me as an excellent "Intro to lifestyle" vehicle. Considering many of us have to daily drive the weekend/vacation adventure vehicle. This would still work as an all purpose sort of car if the first forays into car camping didn't work out for the individual.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wow, Subaru stepping up.

Factory skid plates
Lower final drive
A/T tires
Stouter roof rack
Slightly higher ground clearance

Winner! (....pending price).

All the OB, XV and Foresters should have that lower gearing. That’s been a big issue with the cvt. And likely why so many old timer Subaru owners have left the brand. I bought my 2001 Legacy GT because it had a lower gear set and it made a huge difference!!!

Today I can’t recommend the brand due to our lousy dealers who think quoting $700 for a diff drain fill is acceptable. If my Ford dealer quoted that they would probably get punched in the face.

phsycle

Adventurer
All the OB, XV and Foresters should have that lower gearing. That’s been a big issue with the cvt. And likely why so many old timer Subaru owners have left the brand. I bought my 2001 Legacy GT because it had a lower gear set and it made a huge difference!!!

Today I can’t recommend the brand due to our lousy dealers who think quoting $700 for a diff drain fill is acceptable. If my Ford dealer quoted that they would probably get punched in the face.

I agree on the gearing. But I’m guessing at least the Forester and XV will get the Wilderness package options. Hopefully.

I’m liking the Outback more and more though, the more I read about it. Size was actually really good for a midsize. Plenty of cargo space and rear seat room. Now with proper roof rack rails and a nice 2.4L-T engine.

Fortunately, Subaru dealers around here are good to deal with. Much better than Toyota and Ford.

johnnyno5

I am taking delivery of an OB Wilderness this month. The features I am most looking forward to are the turbo and the higher payload roof rack, and substantially better fuel efficiency for road trips than I get with my Tacoma.

Anyone on here own a Wilderness? Trying to sort out the legs and cross bars for the roof rack.

Alloy

I am taking delivery of an OB Wilderness this month. The features I am most looking forward to are the turbo and the higher payload roof rack, and substantially better fuel efficiency for road trips than I get with my Tacoma.

Anyone on here own a Wilderness? Trying to sort out the legs and cross bars for the roof rack.

Our Onyx had good fuel economy but not enough payload and ground clearance so we ordered a Tacoma :)

Alloy

Cost and level of service on my F350 is 100x better than Subaru service and I tried 3 Subaru dealers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles