Subaru Outback Gen 5: 2.5i or 3.6R

Mooose

Computer Security Engineer & Subpar Photographer
Good Afternoon All,

I have been lurking on here for a number of years and have learned so much just reading. However, I don't have all the answers. Its that time though where one needs to get a new car and the Outback is looking mighty fine to me. Before I commit though I have one lingering thought and its which engine? I would like to put in a lift and A/T tires on the Outback but can that be done with a 2.5i? Any help/expertise would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,
Mooose

fnjeep314

Observer
Get the 3.6R. With the added height an weight, the 2.5 will be struggling some. I have a 2.5 Legacy with the CVT and its ok, but not great. I have a loaner Crosstrek with the 2.0 and the CVT and its been better than my legacy. I have been looking for a decent 3.6 Outback with decent miles in my area because I want the more power. So go with the 3.6R, hands down.

Mooose

Thank you for your response and honesty. Yeah the 3.6R is definitely few and far between around me which is why I was asking. Of the few around here, they have close to or 0ver 100k miles for 2016s.

Mooose

Oh also before I forget. Is the 2015 really the worst Outback?

Alloy

We looked at Gen 5 Outbacks but after taking a 2019 2.4L Acent for a test drive decided to wait for the Gen 6 Outback with a 2.4L.

The dealer had to fix the mess they made of the hitch install so I had an identical Outback with a 2.5L for a couple of days. The 2.5L was good but it was nice to get our 2.4L back.

The Outback has been very capable off road but it was being ruined. A 1"-2" lift kit wasn't going to get it to the places we can go with our F350.

This is the only kit I would consider installing. The spring have a variable rate which helps with carrying extra gear.

mhopton

I bought a brand new 2019 Outback Touring 3.6r as the last year before the new turbo XT. It lasted exactly 4 months, 6k miles before the 3.6 engine let go and Subaru had to buy it back. I literally turned over the keys and walked across the street and bought a brand new 4Runner. Loved the car, but the ownership experience was poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle

I've owned five Subarus - two of which were/are EZ powered. The EZ is by far and away the better engine. Get that one. I personally think CVTs are truly dreadful transmissions but at least the 3.6 will give you the power these big, heavy cars deserve.

My 05 3.0 has 217k on the original drivetrain, including the original headgaskets and timing set. Still runs despite most of the original rubber seals leaking.

To me, the 2010-2014 3.6Rs are the best Subaru drivetrains outside of an STI. The 5EAT is a great automatic and the 3.6 has different cams to allow 87 octane without pinging. It's just a shame they're so ugly compared to the 05-09 Outbacks. To each their own I reckon.

Mooose

Just wanted to update this post. I ended up buying a 2015 3.6R that had low miles and a fully up to date service record. The price was right and they came down on the price which sealed the deal for me. Stay tuned for a build log at some point. Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles