Stupid weird AC condensor/PS cooler failed. HELP!

D-R0CK

Alright, I changed the PS pump in my '02 WJ last night and suddenly sprang a leak out of what I THOUGHT was my AC condenser, a big old crack right in the bottom. Looking more closely, that's not all it has going on. What else is it doing? It looks like it's also a PS cooler on the bottom portion!? What the heck!?

As I understand, the cooling changed a lot year to year on the GC. Can anyone clarify what is going on? And recommend a repair?

If it was JUST a cooler, I'd slap in a universal job and be done, but it's looking like that isn't an option...

So what, get the A/C discharged, replace the whole unit, recharge and refill?

D-R0CK

Actually, since the condenser is fine, should I just ignore the PS cooler portion and run the lines to an aftermarket universal cooler?

The hard lines to the cooler are intimidating. Would there be any problem using the soft lines that come with the universal kits?

brianwj

Observer
You should be safe with the aftermarket kit as long as you can get a good flare on the hard lines you cut.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

D-R0CK

It's pretty cold here right now. Could I get away with running a soft line from the out port to the in port and bypass the cooler entirely? Temporarily, of course.

brianwj

Observer
I would do that to get it back on the road till you can get the cooler replaced.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

M35A2

Tinkerer
It's pretty cold here right now. Could I get away with running a soft line from the out port to the in port and bypass the cooler entirely? Temporarily, of course.

Yes. There is not much heat build-up.

The system is designed for the hottest day with the A/C cranked (more heat load under the hood) with the motor idling and crazy underhood temps, plus sitting with no forward movement and sawing the wheels back and forth. That builds some heat.

You'll be fine.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If it's a V8 WJ, it's got a hydraulic cooling fan run of the PS, so I'd want some kind of cooler in there. Any kind of universal trans cooler should do the trick. And as long as the cooler is in the low pressure return line (it should be), trans cooler hose and clamps will do the job fine.

If it's a 4.0, you'll be fine to bypass it, although the PS can get pretty hot and will need more frequent fluid changes, so it wouldn't hurt to put a different cooler in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior