Stumbled upon 2 clean 1st Gen Xterras, can I get a crash course on what to look for before buying?

roving1

I always liked these vehicles but never went down the rabbit hole of researching them.

Currently in Mexico for work and think I want to buy a vehicle and leave it here for my somewhat frequent travels, I hate automatic transmissions as a personal preference but I have no idea how robust either transmission is for these. One is a V6 Auto I think 2003. The other is a V6 manual 2004. They are both about 120K miles.

Can I get a crash course on what to look for and any opinions on the auto vs manual for this platform?

Thanks

Deshet

Adventurer
The automatic Xterras had problems with oil coolers in the transmission failing and allowing water to get into the transmission fluid. The manuals should not have this issue. If you get an automatic bypass the oil cooler.

I would not buy one with a supercharger if you want something simple.

Thanks

Deshet

Adventurer
Everyone likes what they like but if I bought something to keep in Mexico I would look for something that isn't offered in the USA. Mexico has some vehicles that we can't get. They may have gotten the Diesel Xterra, I know that they are in Columbia, Panama, and Brazil. They got some diesel Toyotas and I think they got the 105 series Landcruiser.

Diesel Pathfinder for under $9,000 not a super cheap beater but nice
https://pv.craigslist.org/cto/d/nissan-pathfinder/7027889149.html

About $3,000 US for a Nissan Gas or Diesel Pickup 4x4 manual

Thanks

Last edited:

reaver

The automatic Xterras had problems with oil coolers in the transmission failing and allowing water to get into the transmission fluid. The manuals should not have this issue. If you get an automatic bypass the oil cooler.

I would not buy one with a supercharger if you want something simple.

Thanks
This only applies to 2005-2010 models.

See if you can confirm the timing belt has been changed. The service interval is 105k.

If you open the drivers door, there's a sticker on the lower part of the door jam. Look for a code that says either HG46 or hg49. Ideally, for off road use, you want the hg49. That means it has 4.9 gears in the front and rear diff. This is fairly common on manuals I believe, but less common on the autos.

Also, look for oil leaks around the valve covers, as that's a pretty common occurrence.

Also, if possible, scan it with an obd2 reader. Chances are it probably has a code for the knock sensor. This is a common failure point, that ultimately doesn't really do anything on the Non-supercharged engines.

That's about it. If the timing belt hasn't been done, I'd say buy the car, and immediately address that and the water pp, since it's behind the timing cover.

roving1

Everyone likes what they like but if I bought something to keep in Mexico I would look for something that isn't offered in the USA. Mexico has some vehicles that we can't get. They may have gotten the Diesel Xterra, I know that they are in Columbia, Panama, and Brazil. They got some diesel Toyotas and I think they got the 105 series Landcruiser.

Diesel Pathfinder for under $9,000 not a super cheap beater but nice
https://pv.craigslist.org/cto/d/nissan-pathfinder/7027889149.html

About $3,000 US for a Nissan Gas or Diesel Pickup 4x4 manual

Thanks

Unfortunately I am in Central Mexico where the take rate for 4WD on a model where 2WD exists also is like 3%.

Northern and Southern Mexico is where most of the 4WDs are here.

Hermosillo is 22 hour drive from where I am. :(

They didn't get any of the cool diesel Toyotas. In fact other than the Hilux they didn't get any cool Toyotas. I am lucky if I see 3-4 Hiluxes a week and they are all mostly 3-5 years old and way out of my league. There are zero Land Cruisers here. I don't think Toyota sold them here untill the 200 series. There are some great awesome 90s Hiluxes but most are actually expat US pickups. I have almost bought 3 but they keep getting sold out from under me. What is crazy is you can buy a truck that would sell in the US for 10,000 for like 3-4 grand here. I missed this one by a few hours. IMG-20200104-WA0031.jpg

I would like to get something I could import back to the states eventually but honestly it's a moot point. Even though Nissan owns Mexico with by far the biggest market share. EVERYTHING is 2WD and diesels are far and few between where I am. Took me a month to find one 4WD crew cab diesel. Then I could not get out to look at it in time.

In general diesels are a pretty recent thing here. Everything is gas, even the US pickups. Mostly only large commercial vehicles are diesel here. Not at all like further south.

I'm not sure they even had the Xterra for sale here. Every 1st gen I have seen was a US truck, and if they did they will all be 2WD like 98% of Mexican Cherokees are.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles