Stuffed a Group 31 (100 Ah) battery to the AUX battery location in the LR3 =)

perkj

Explorer
After seeing jwestpro's Group 31 auxiliary battery stuffed into his LR3, a Group 31 battery was on my short list of things to do. I already had the Traxide dual battery controller and had been running an Optima D34 battery as the aux which has a capacity of 55 Ah. The advantage of the D34 is that it drops right into the aux battery location in the LR3 without any modification and LR sells a factory battery hold down and bolts for it. Now the advantage of the group 31 batteries is that they come in at 100 Ah, nearly doubling the available capacity of the D34. The down side is that the 31 is a HUGE battery both in physical size and weight: 13.00"(L)x6.75"(W)x9.50"(H) at 66.5 lbs (Deka) verses the Optima D34 10.06"(L)x6.94"(W)x7.88"(H) at 43.5 lbs. Being both longer and higher than the D34, fitting the 31 required some modifications to the LR3.

For the battery choice I opted to go with a Deka Intimidator AGM 31 as I recently purchased the Deka Intimidator AGM 49 as my crank battery. I confirmed with Deka/EastPenn that the Oreily Auto SuperStart AGMs are indeed rebranded Deka Intimidators so I picked up the 31 from Oreily because that had a $40 off $200 coupon plus free shipping which made for a nice price. Super Start Heavy Duty 31 AGM Battery (item# AGM31T): http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSBL/AGM31T/.oap

Here is the Optima D34 vs the Deka AGM Group 31:

IMG_5324.jpg

The first step in fitting this 100 Ah beast is that you have to cut the forward facing portion of existing battery tray to allow for the extra three inches in length. You need a Dremel with a cutting wheel to do this as there isn't enough room for a hacksaw and trying to remove the battery tray is more trouble than its worth. See the before and after below.

IMG_5325.jpg

IMG_5333.jpg

You then need to use 3 brackets to push that valve thing on the braket forward about 1 inch to make room for the battery. I used these brackets here to do this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0107269L4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 . Note they come in packs of 4 and you will need to use 3 of them, You will also need to expand/drill-out 1 hole on each of the brackets to 6mm (from the existing 5mm) in order to utilize the factor bolts and mount points.

For a hold down, you will want to pick up this one as it allows you to utilize the factory off set M6 screw ins for the hold down: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...469&categoryRedirect=N0363&pt=N0363&ppt=C0005 . I picked up two of these because I wanted an additional bolt down as there are two points to bolt to on the right side of the battery tray. You will also need three (or two if you opt to not go with the additional bolt down) 300mm M6 stainless steel threaded rods. You will need to cut them down to fit under the hood. These can be purchased here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#94185A586

Finally you will want to purchase some 3/8" Stud covers for the battery terminals to protect the terminals from contacting anything.

While the battery will fit with the hood down without any modification to the battery studs, I did decide to cut roughly a little less than 1/4" off each to give some extra room just to be on the safe side. In order to cut the studs down and still have enough room for the wire terminal lugs and a bolt I had to pick up some Thin Stainless Steel Nylon-Insert Locknuts from McMaster too: http://www.mcmaster.com/#97367A115. These are reduced height lock nuts that take up as little room as possible on the stud and still lock.

As you can see from the picture I wired in a 4-post negative bus bar and a two post positive bus bar. I did this to allow me to add in the accessories without having to bolt them to the battery's post as these would take up height and I wanted the height of the post to be kept to a min (remember I loped off roughly 1/4" of the post height from the battery in order to have some safety space between the post and the hood). Note on the positive two post bus bar I also added a 150 AMP fuse and fuse post from Blue Sea for the incoming power from the battery as extra precaution from a short situation.

End result here:
IMG_5382.jpg

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Nice work. I don't run a dual battery set-up as I don't base camp that often and I've installed my air compressors in that location. But I am running a group 31 as my primary battery. I currently have an Odyssey in there but I'm about to change to a NorthStar. One thing to be aware of, although group 31 is a standard size almost every version is slightly different. I found I'll have to make some mods (to my existing mods) to make the NorthStar work since the posts are just a bit inboard of the Odyssy's posts (which were a bit inboard from the original battery's post location).

perkj

Explorer
Nice work. I don't run a dual battery set-up as I don't base camp that often and I've installed my air compressors in that location. But I am running a group 31 as my primary battery. I currently have an Odyssey in there but I'm about to change to a NorthStar. One thing to be aware of, although group 31 is a standard size almost every version is slightly different. I found I'll have to make some mods (to my existing mods) to make the NorthStar work since the posts are just a bit inboard of the Odyssy's posts (which were a bit inboard from the original battery's post location).

Thanks Don. Curious, why are you getting rid of the Odyssey…didn't you just recently install that? Those Northstars are nice batteries. I've seen that typically the group 31s with the 3/8 stud posts only typically have them in the same location. Its the marine batteries that have more variance since that have both the SAE posts and the studs. You may just want to opt for the 3/8" studs without the SAE posts as it reduces the clearance issue though you will need to convert your SAE terminals with 3/8" lugs….but on the plus side the 3/8" studs with lugs make for a much superior connection over the SAEs. Were you planning on going with the 31 marine (posts and studs) or the regular 31 (with just the studs)?

zelatore

Explorer
A couple of reasons.
First, it has a slightly oddball charging profile that doesn't jive well with the Rover. I could drive cross-country and never top it off. (I believe this is the root cause of Sears discontinuing this battery under the DieHard AGM Platinum name) 2nd, it's developed small cracks in the case radiating out from both terminals. Although they appear superficial, that's enough for me to move on.

Both the Odyssey and Northstar are dual post with SAE and Marine terminals. I actually like this as it allows me to use the stock positive connection with it's attached fuse holder, plus I can use the studs for other connections. I have replaced my stock ground cable with some custom stuff I made when I did the initial change-over since I had the stuff on-hand. I may go ahead and do my own positive cable too now just to make things easier.

We'll see...Hopefully I'll get around to it this weekend but that weekend list has been growing quickly the last few days and my 'relaxed hang around the house and tinker' weekend is evaporating like the Sierra snow in our recent heat wave.

perkj

Explorer
I didn't go with Odyssey for the same reason you mentioned around its charging profile. I know jwestpro hasn't had any issues with his two Odyssey's in his LR3, but I utilize a battery charger in the garage for the LR3 to keep the batteries topped off since I don't drive it often and I didn't want to invest in the Odyssey charger since my CTEK 25000 doesn't have the correct charging profile for the Odyssey. The Deka's are nice as they only require 14.2-14.4V on the absorption phase where as the Odyssey requires 14.7V.

unseenone

Explorer
Thanks for sharing your setup.

I have had good luck so for with the Deka AGM Intimidater 9A49. The charging profile has adjusted itself to behave exceptionally well. I have been running it for about a year now. So if you do not want to modify your setup too much, it may be a good alternative. This is a 92aH battery, no modifications necessary.

As an aside, the link is the the battery I am using, and it also accommodates the factory vent tube. There are two versions of this battery, one with and one without a vent.

dsm02c

Adventurer
I could drive cross-country and never top it off.

I just replaced my yellow top with the X2 Power group 34 from batteries plus as I wanted the extra 13ah now that I added a 2nd fridge, drove 1,100 miles yesterday and my Traxide indicator never went to glowing, stayed on a single flash... I did let the truck sit for a little over 24 hours but it was never over 80 degrees in the truck with windows cracked...

I have no idea how long it takes to recharge the batteries on these rigs... But never had that issue before adding in the frivolousness / stupidity of a 2nd fridge...

perkj

Explorer
I just replaced my yellow top with the X2 Power group 34 from batteries plus as I wanted the extra 13ah now that I added a 2nd fridge, drove 1,100 miles yesterday and my Traxide indicator never went to glowing, stayed on a single flash... I did let the truck sit for a little over 24 hours but it was never over 80 degrees in the truck with windows cracked...

I have no idea how long it takes to recharge the batteries on these rigs... But never had that issue before adding in the frivolousness / stupidity of a 2nd fridge...

Those X2 Power batteries are rebadged Northstars so its a very nice battery. But keep in mind that Northstar's, like Odyssey batteries, have a unique charging requirement and require 14.7 at 77F volts in the absorption phase. Anything less will not allow you to get to full charge and will also reduce the life of the battery.

For the Traxide issue you're seeing a continuous single flash every 2 seconds means the batteries are disconnected. Does this happen even with the LR started? I suggest disconnecting all the battery wires from both the crank and aux and then reconnect in the following order: Crank Pos, Crank Neg, Aux Pos, Aux Neg and then start the ignition. Within a few seconds the light should begin to glow. if you turn the LR3 off it should continue to glow until the common voltage drops below 12.6 (assuming your in ignition mode) or 12.0 (if in shared mode) and then will flashh every 2 seconds. If it doesn't then you may have a problem and you will want to contact Tim at Traxide. The other thing to check is the voltage of each individual battery while disconnected. Your new x2 Power could be a dud or your crank may be. A final option would be to top/full charge each individual battery off with a good battery charger and then reconnect everything in the order stated previously.

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
Thanks for sharing your setup.

I have had good luck so for with the Deka AGM Intimidater 9A49. The charging profile has adjusted itself to behave exceptionally well. I have been running it for about a year now. So if you do not want to modify your setup too much, it may be a good alternative. This is a 92aH battery, no modifications necessary.

As an aside, the link is the the battery I am using, and it also accommodates the factory vent tube. There are two versions of this battery, one with and one without a vent.

I use the Deka Intimidater 9A49 as my crank/primary also. I believe the Deka 9A47 is the largest Deka battery for the aux location without any modification....its a 60 Ah battery. The 9A48 would fit with minimal modification to the battery tray (if any at all) and its 72 Ah.

Last edited:

dsm02c

Adventurer
Those X2 Power batteries are rebadged Northstars so its a very nice battery. But keep in mind that Northstar's, like Odyssey batteries, have a unique charging requirement and require 14.7 at 77F volts in the absorption phase. Anything less will not allow you to get to full charge and will also reduce the life of the battery.

For the Traxide issue you're seeing a continuous single flash every 2 seconds means the batteries are disconnected. Does this happen even with the LR started? I suggest disconnecting all the battery wires from both the crank and aux and then reconnect in the following order: Crank Pos, Crank Neg, Aux Pos, Aux Neg and then start the ignition. Within a few seconds the light should begin to glow. if you turn the LR3 off it should continue to glow until the common voltage drops below 12.6 (assuming your in ignition mode) or 12.0 (if in shared mode) and then will flashh every 2 seconds. If it doesn't then you may have a problem and you will want to contact Tim at Traxide. The other thing to check is the voltage of each individual battery while disconnected. Your new x2 Power could be a dud or your crank may be. A final option would be to top/full charge each individual battery off with a good battery charger and then reconnect everything in the order stated previously.

I drove the truck today to see what the status was, plugged my iid tool in and the truck was putting out 14.7V, I think the isolator thinks it's an over voltage situation? Two, quick flashes. I tested both batteries with a meter and the were right around 12.86V

I went to the batteries plus right by my house and load tested both batteries and they were champs. The x2 had over 1000 amps at 10.6V

Put a bigger battery tender on the truck 5A model (I until today had it on the plus model with 1.25A)mand it finished topping off the batteries. Now the Traxide indicator is in a constant on glowing status.

unseenone

Explorer
That's too bad as the LR charging system doesn't behave that well to begin with. So far so good with the Deka 60Ah, I also added a Deka 60Ah AGM Intimidator as the 2nd battery at the same time. I wanted to be done once and for all fiddling with batteries for a while.

Interesting stuff here so far, thank you all for sharing.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Me too now LOL. I do have the Odessey charger, a 3 phase actually which of course allows me to do both at the same time. Got it on a big discount.
I need to learn about this lr3 charging them though. I don’t have a fancy system monitor but it sounds like I may be able to use my iidtool?

Mine is the earlier version which will not do anything unless you’re stopped though, do you need to be rolling with engine fully pushing the alternator?

I have wondered about upgrading my iidtool to Bluetooth etc whatever allows it to be accessed through ipad/iOS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94