Stuff on the hood

86cj

Explorer
I have been thinking about a way to haul firewood only short distances due to a quarantine on moving wood. I have no issue with buying wood locally as they usually have no economy, but do have a good veiw . I do have room for a couple bundles inside the Jeep but the last couple trips the bugs inside were NOT OK.
I can't see installing a roof rack with it's issues of wind noise and weight just to haul a few bundles wood, I don't use much wood at camp. The Jeep usually has the soft top installed so a basic roof basket is not an option. I also have enough weight and stuff on the back and don't really want a tire rack.

I am thinking a hood basket but wondered if the vision issues would be a big deal. I do have seat risers installed so my veiw is very good. I posted this in General hoping some Rover people or anybody has had stuff on their hood. This is not for highspeed big miles, just from town to camp or maybee a day of slow woods driving.

The idea seems odd so I figured I was missing something and the Community could straighted me out......

Crikeymike

Adventurer
Maybe you could do a single layer of firewood, just 5-6 inches high, but I would be concerned about vision, and/or getting pulled over for it.

I've seen people use those hitch-mounted cargo tray things to haul firewood. For a short distance, that would seem like a good idea to me.

telwyn

Adventurer
A lot of the Military Land Rovers (Lightweights and Wolf/Defenders) have an interesting metal mesh basket on the hood that is used to haul stuff. My Lightweight has a tire on the hood - can't imagine the basket would be any worse from a vision standpoint.

Here's a few pics I found... none have a clear view of the basket, but at least give you a glimpse.

Attachments

• LandRoverWMIK_468x327.jpg
    LandRoverWMIK_468x327.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Len02.jpg
    Len02.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 195
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 230

truck mechanic

Adventurer
how about a front reciver and a tray off of that ? Thats how I carry my 100qt cooler when I head to the beach. Not a great off road but works on the road .
Paul

86cj

Explorer
telwyn said:
A lot of the Military Land Rovers (Lightweights and Wolf/Defenders) have an interesting metal mesh basket on the hood that is used to haul stuff. My Lightweight has a tire on the hood - can't imagine the basket would be any worse from a vision standpoint.

Here's a few pics I found... none have a clear view of the basket, but at least give you a glimpse.

Thanks for the pic's, that is exactly what I had in mind. There is lot's of cool ideas on those rig's, much appreciated..........

My first idea was a receiver rack but we do some wheelin' from campsite to campsite normaly.....
We have gotten away from a basecamp type of setup and have been moving everyday now that all are gear is organized and easy to set up, Thanks mostly to ideas from the Expo..........

I would make the cargo rack flat, with no upturned sides, and VERY close to the hood. This will minimize the blocked view when the rack is empty. I suspect this project may require reinforcing the underside of the hood a bit depending on the indended weight of the loads AND the type of terrain that the loads are carried over.

Good luck! :)

inked33

Adventurer
i would keep it as close to the hood itself as possible, and then only put one maybe 2 layers at the most to keep vision to a maximum. before you did anything id check to see if something like that was even legal, id hate to build something only to find out i couldnt use it....

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Here's how I carry firewood when I go out camping with my camper.

100_1109.jpg

2" drawtite front receiver, Hitch-Haul 500 lb carrier with the 6" Z Bar to lift the rack up a few inches above the receiver.

The bins are my extra tools and the hoses for the camper.

Just need to remember they are there, I had a funny thing happen once at a gas station with the same carrier....

100_1101.jpg

1/2 inch of space between the lids and the bumper of the BMW when I stopped, totally forgot about it being there. But the look on the guy from VT who owned the BMW when I pulled up was priceless.

86cj

Explorer
Backwoods Rambler said:
I would make the cargo rack flat, with no upturned sides, and VERY close to the hood. This will minimize the blocked view when the rack is empty. I suspect this project may require reinforcing the underside of the hood a bit depending on the indended weight of the loads AND the type of terrain that the loads are carried over.

Good luck! :)

I am thinking the same thing about this project, good call.

I know the hinge area is very strong but out over the hood does not offer much strength. I wanted to move the rack back so the hinge is under the rack instead of at back edge, but that would mean I could not open hood unless I made some type of sliding bracket. I also would not want to lose the ability to open hood more than 90deg and let it rest on the windsheild, so a very low and flat rack will be needed. I was planning on keeping the wood pile low, and spread out for sure....

I will see how much clearance is under the hood and run some metal stock down to the radiator support area to keep flexing under control, I am glad there is holes already in the hood for windshield tiedowns...

I spent a couple seasons and lots of welding wire to be able to haul all the gear needed daily and still be able to see out the back window. I hate to give that up and will find a way, the mother load of bugs in the wood this rainy summer was the last straw....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19589

Thanks again for the comments..........

michaelgroves

Explorer
I like the look of the receiver mounted tray, in preference to something on the bonnet (hood). Land Rover Defenders and Series trucks are designed to have things (spare wheels) on the bonnet - the bonnet is really low in relation to the windscreen.

Depending on the way your front/rear bumpers look, you may be able to use netting of some sort to carry wood? I've done it on a big truck, though I don't remember this firewood as being very dry later that evening(!) :

IMG0001.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:punk03: All the more excuse to get a trailer

I carry wood on top the trailer in various Black nylon bags, But

It has to be early in summer, here in Calif., because usually after JUNE the Forestry bans all fires and later in August, even gas stoves--gotta mind you Ps & Qs

:tent: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

luk4mud

Explorer
Does wood on the hood sound a little dangerous to anyone? Hit something and it's coming right at you?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I have a front receiver on my Jeep & have used a basket up front for wood a couple of times. It was okay for the mild fs roads but, as the roads got interesting, the basket began to hit and dig. Jeeps have relatively soft suspension and short wheelbases; adding length is a geometric dilemma...

You said you don't need more weight aft but how about a rear bumper with a tire mount & basket above it? A set of Firestone riderite air helpers to keep the rear at a proper level?

86cj

Explorer
Even though I am only going to use the rack to haul firewood from the local general store or nearby forest to camp, it will have to be sturdy and well secured for saftey. I will probably use a spider type net and straps to secure the wood after I spread it out.....Some days the wood may do some trail riding but thats about it..............

If I do make the rack it will be an improvement over draging a dead log behind the Jeep. That probably draws more attention than a couple bundles of wood on the hood..:eek:

I think the best solution could be that nice little spot on top of the Maggiolina Carbon fiber RTT..........;)

BigAl

Expedition Leader
could you just put your bundles in a heavy duty contractor style garbage bag? If it is just a short ride, stuff it were ever it will fit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz