Stuck rear camshaft seal.

icant4x4heretoo

1999 Montero SR
So the driver side is stuck.
it won't rotate.
I have broken off the bottom ears.

Im doing maintains so I already removed the intake.
what can I do or tricks to remove this.

I have not done the passenger side yet. in fear that i may break that one too

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So the driver side is stuck.
it won't rotate.
I have broken off the bottom ears.

Im doing maintains so I already removed the intake.
what can I do or tricks to remove this.

I have not done the passenger side yet. in fear that i may break that one too
Im not sure I understand your description, or perhaps my 3.5L SOHC is just different from yours, but I just did this job recently.

Passenger side is a cap plate with a cylinder shaped end plug that has a round O-ring on it. Very easy to remove. Here is a photo of the back of the passenger side. Ignore the dirt!
IMG_8756-X3.jpg

Here is what it looks like removed from the head:
100_0670.jpg

I use a small set of picks with hooks from HarborFreight to remove these seals:
image_21090.jpg

On theDrivers side is a sensor unit that has no direct seal or O-ring to it. Per the manual, you need to add a bead of RTV gasket sealer to it. This is what the back of the engine on the drivers side looks like on mine:
IMG_8755-X3.jpg

Here is what the manual shows for this sensor location
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 5.53.23 PM.png

Last edited:

icant4x4heretoo

I forgot to add the year and model. Its 99 Montero SR.

Yes it similar but mines is stuck on the driver side. And it won't move. after I broke off the ear at the bottom. trying to pull it out. It won't rotate or move a bit out off the head.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I forgot to add the year and model. Its 99 Montero SR.

Yes it similar but mines is stuck on the driver side. And it won't move. after I broke off the ear at the bottom. trying to pull it out. It won't rotate or move a bit out off the head.
Sounds like the gasket sealant is working to hold it in place. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it

icant4x4heretoo

By using WD-40 and tapping it for about an hour. I got it off. Once you break the seal of the old crusty oil. And you get it to move/rotate. Start rotating it a couple times. Continue to rotate it but now start pulling on it. This will continue to work the WD-40 into it and help break the oil seal.20181112_135913.jpg20181112_135904.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles