Stuck harmonic balancer

PaydayGabe

I know right. I don’t have a Monty and can’t help, but I’ve had similar situations and can’t wait for the “”I got it” post.
? Right... the suspense is Killing me.
Something has to happen soon??‍♂️

Thrashero

Well, it didn't go well. I tried the 3 jaw puller but I ended up breaking pieces off the back of the pulley. I'm open to suggestions on what to replace it with once I replace it because Mitsubishi doesn't make them anymore. I'll try to find a used Mitsubishi one but I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on aftermarket options. It didn't seem like there are many options.

I got a heat gun but, to be honest, I'm not exactly sure where I should be aiming it and what I should be warming to get this thing off. I started to use it (pointed where the crank bolt would go), but got scared when I started to smell burning, although I'm pretty sure it was the PB Blaster vaporizing.

wuDDDMi.jpg
v2JlPOJ.jpg

PaydayGabe

That damage appears to be very minor. You can evacuate it better once the balancer is off.
Take the heat gun and apply to the balancer itself. Not the crankshaft snout.
You want the balancer to expand and not the snout. Go in circles around the area close to the crankshaft. Naturally things will get warm and toasty and smell. At this point something has to give. You may melt the belt cover directly behind the balancer, but they can be found anywhere. Good luck, keep us posted.

RyanY

Adventurer
You will want to heat the area of the balancer as close to the crankshaft as possible. Keep in mind that the pulley portion of the balancer is bonded to the inner hub portion with rubber and you don't want to heat it to the point where you're damaging that joint or you'll end up with the balancer separating at some point in the future.

Another tactic to use would be to pick up a can of Freeze-Off and spray the nose of the crankshaft with it after heating the balancer. You could also strategically cut the lower timing cover so that it can be removed to give you access to the rearmost portion of the balancer to apply a penetrating oil and some heat. It might even be possible to change the belt without removing the crank pulley if you can remove the lower timing cover.

Needless to say, when the time comes for reassembly the judicious use of anti-seize will make future timing belt changes far easier.

Thrashero

It's off! I finally had to have a mechanic get it off because I couldn't spend any more time on it. He used a torch and pb blaster. Here's the damage I inflicted on it.

PaydayGabe

Congratulations ?.
It was cruddy in there. What an ordeal. Inquiring minds need to know what that cost you?
IMO, that chip is minor. Clean up the inside groove with a file, smooth and reuse. Are you doing the timing belt yourself or letting the mechanic?

Thrashero

I'll be doing it myself along with the water pump, accessory belts, radiators hoses, seals, etc. I'm going slow, and it's okay if it takes forever, but I was really stuck on that balancer. He charged me $80 to come to my house and do it on a Sunday. I'm happy with it. He happened to be a former Mopar mechanic, so he was familiar with Mitsubishi engines.

Reactions: GHI

PaydayGabe

Beauty?, $80 not bad for a house call.
Go easy and take mucho photos for reference. You have people in your corner any time you need direction.
Merry Christmas Thrash ??.

If you are going o be taking your time, be sure to take lots of pictures. I found ziplock bags, note cards and a sharpie helped a great deal when the reassembly started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94