Stuck harmonic balancer

Thrashero

I'm attempting to replace the timing belt on my 1999 Montero but I can't get the harmonic balancer off. The crank bolt came off no problem but the pulley won't slide off. I have a sneaking suspicion that the timing belt hasn't been changed on a regular interval or at all in the past 20 years/160k miles. I borrowed a puller from an auto parts store but it doesn't have the right bolts. Does anyone what bolts/thread pattern fit the pulley so I can make this puller work? Or maybe an alternate solution? Thanks.

PaydayGabe

Evening Thrash,
I'm completing the belt/components service also.
My balancer is no doubt the same as yours hopefully, so here's my advice.
The balancer is not a pressed fit. It definitely should slide free from the crankshaft snout.
The balancer does not have threaded holes for a puller.
The two bosses are for a holding tool, when tightening or loosening the crank bolt...
You most likely have some rust interference holding the balancer in place.
Get some penetrating oil spray (PB Blaster or WD40, ) and shoot it into the snout area of the balancer, primarily in the key way. This should seep into the remaining area of the snout/balancer and soften up the gunk holding the balancer.
Take a hammer and GENTLY tap on the balancer, side to side and forward and back. This will cause a harmonic effect and draw in the penetrating fluid.
Remember, the balancer is cast iron so gently tapping is key.
You don't want to break it.
No Ham Fisted mechanics allowed!
Repeat as necessary. You will eventually get it to move and remove. Clean the balancer and crack snout with some Scotchbrite before reassembling. Good luck with your project.
G. In beautiful Boulder City Nv.

Thrashero

Thanks, Gabe. I saw another thread that recommended the puller for the stuck pulley so I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't realize the holes weren't threaded at all. I guess I'll just keep tappin and jigglin until it comes off.

Thrashero

No luck thus far. I pulled the radiator to give myself more room but no amount of whacking with a rubber mallet and PB Blaster has gotten it to come off.

PaydayGabe

Not wanting to state the obvious,,,
Have you removed the huge retaining bolt? ???
If you're doing the Timing belt,
Get as many components out of your way as possible. The a/c compressor can stay in place. Take photos for reference/ reassembling.

evomaki

Observer
Do what Salonika said. Might also be time to get creative. There is not much holding those pulleys on. They really tend to sit on the face of the crank snout. As an example to get the creativity going, here is a puller I made some while ago to remove the sprocket behind the crank pulley. Mine had rust and a slightly bugger key keeping it on. Slightly different issue from yours, but as you can see a pretty rigged up puller did fine. Your puller will NOT be pulling something pressed on with a hydraulic press.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 19

Thrashero

The accessories are off and the crank bolt is out. I wasn't going to remove the radiator but I needed space to work so that's off too. I'll get a pic and post it. The idea of using a torch makes me a little uneasy because I've never used one so I think I'll try the heat gun first.

PacS14

Adventurer
It looks like you should have enough room for a three jaw puller, mine came off wobbling side to side with my bare hands pretty easy. It seemed solid at first

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles