Struggling up hills

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
My 05 F150 supercab with the 4.6 with 168,000 miles on her has no power going up hills. Should I put new spark plugs in? I heard that is a nightmare to do. I just put a new air filter in. Could it be my transmission is going?

1leg

Explorer
Did this just start to happen or is this something that has been getting worse over time. Could just need a complete tune up. A new hi flow exhaust system could also help.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I tried to delete this thread, I had no service on my phone when I sent this and I didn't know it had gone thru

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I just did the 4.6 in my explorer..its not difficult to do at all!!

NOTE!!!..many of my FORD mechanic friends gave me these pieces of advice and my truck had driven the sandy beaches at OBX before I did mine...so..

#1 very very important that you DO THEM WITH THE ENGINE COLD!!...the aluminum heads on these engines are notorious for stripping plugs...do not do them if the engine is more than warm to the touch.

#2..you will need compressed air (can or compressor) to blow the holes out before you take the spark plugs out..I had one that needed the crud around the plug dug loose with a piece of wire to get the crud blown out and even went as far as to shop vac the holes out..

do not put any never-seize or anything on the threads..

change the fuel filter too...thats a big missed item..

my 4.6 is a beast of a motor..Ive never wanted for power with her...5 kids..2 dogs..full trailer of gear or toolboxes..its a truck with seats for 7..loaded leather soccer-mom/grocery getter...110mph (dam speed limiter)...no engine issues...(sofar to date in 2yrs of owning it Ive done all 4 corners wheel bearings...and had the flexplate on the tranny replaced...and a TON of maintenance issues the previous owner neglected..)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz