Strider Colorado ZR2 Duramax Explorer Build and Trips

bgraboyes

Yes, but not as much as I hoped. Around 1-2 mpg on average.

I'd take that! That's about what i lost when i installed my Ovrlnd. trying to figure out a solution for my rig to attach one. did you have a lot of wind noise before and if so, did it help with that as well? Mine gets pretty loud above 65 mph

transalper

Explorer
I'd take that! That's about what i lost when i installed my Ovrlnd. trying to figure out a solution for my rig to attach one. did you have a lot of wind noise before and if so, did it help with that as well? Mine gets pretty loud above 65 mph
I did not have much wind noise to begin with. Kinda surprised me.

transalper

Explorer
20211005_173632.jpg
Refilling water tank from MSR Dromedary. We really like this setup! The well water from the Medicine Lodge Archeological site was not so good. :)

Last edited:

skrypj

Yes, but not as much as I hoped. Around 1-2 mpg on average.

I think the issue is not in front but behind the topper/tent. The back of your setup is very square. One thing I have seen used in the travel trailer/5th wheel camping world(which are 100% square boxes) are these and i have heard they work quite well.

I bet you could mount some of those up on the sides of the topper and top of the tent and possibly pick up some MPG's that way. Probably wouldnt cost you more than $75.

I am thinking about getting them for my trailer since I am normally towing it at 70mph and, if I am fighting a stout headwind, have seen as low as 6.7 mpg.

Last edited:

transalper

Explorer
I think the issue is not in front but behind the topper/tent. The back of your setup is very square.

I bet you could mount some of those up on the sides of the topper and top of the tent and possibly pick up some MPG's that way. Probably wouldnt cost you more than $75.

I have never seen those before and might give it a try. I wonder if it would reduce the amount of dust getting into the bed? Maybe I just need a spoiler? ;)

Speaking of which, I need to upgrade my bed seals big time. I did install some bulb seals this spring, but need to redo it all. My bed is a dust magnet!

Last edited:

transalper

Explorer
Camping gear setup for the GFC ZR2

Driver side, from cab to tailgate:
BLS/trauma bag and rescue rope;
Pelican case with recovery gear;
Five gallon propane tank;
Bin 1 - cooking kit and misc camping;
Bin 2 - dry goods; and
Wheel well - broom, awning poles, shitco awning rods, seat pads, avalanche shovel, hiking poles, camp axe, propane hoses; and Polisport step stool (hanging).

Passenger side from cab to tailgate:
Kermit chairs x2 with leg extensions;
Awning sidewalls;
Little buddy heater;
Drying spot for MSR Dromedary bags (hanging);
Bin 3 - hammocks, extra bedding, and tarps;
IndelB fridge;
Bluetooth speaker (hanging here while stationary - moves to a bin while driving);
Ram mount for tablet clamped to camper frame;
Ram mounts with two cupholders on camper frame; and
Wheel well: ditty bag (lighters, fire starters, charging cables, and tape), Flexopower lithium 444 (strapped to side of bed), folding solar panel, roll of duct tape, work gloves, and relayed power wire to starting battery.

All of the bins have a piece of plywood that serve as dust cover, step, seat, cutting board, and table. Bins are strapped to s-channels on floor of the bed. This has proven to be very secure.

Bed lighting: Goal Zero Lighthouse Minis x2. These cute little lamps can magnet to camper frame or hang wherever.

Water: 10-gallon Frontrunner Wheel well tank.

Clothing and luggage is stored on rear seats.

We have used this set up on quite a few backcountry trips and this is what we have ended up with so far. It is comfortable, light-weight, simple, and easy to remove.

20211016_114043.jpg20211016_114050.jpg20211016_124846.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles