Strider Colorado ZR2 Duramax Explorer Build and Trips

gnel

Your deflector brackets look to be made out of aluminum? What material did you use for the deflector? Thanks

YetiX

Looks really good! I got my Colorado about a month ago and am just starting to ramp things up. Off Highway Equipment does not appear to have the switch or anything available on their website. I've sourced the OEM switch but am a bit unsure about the wiring part. (My fogs are controlled by the stock switch but I want to use the switch for the S2's in the rear bumper.) Any info on how you wired your lights into the switch? Thanks!

transalper

Explorer
Just got back from a two-week trip to Colorado (I was going to do Idaho, but had to cut the trip short). Twelve nights in the GFC, lots of great trails, two big 4wd passes, and tons of dust. There was a little bit of rain every afternoon, but overall the weather was great.

20200730_184228_resized.jpg
First campsite west of Fort Collins. I dispersed camped the entire trip (except for the one night i camped in a buddy's driveway in Boulder and another I slept on my cousin's tiny couch in windy Yoder).

20200812_102413_resized.jpg
Part way up Schofield Pass. No pics of the truck at Devil's Punchbowl because I was runing solo and did not want to block the trail. High pucker factor and beautiful! Lots of quads but got lucky and did not pass any during the most narrow and harrowing parts of the trail. When I got to the Crested Butte side of the pass, there were TONS of vehicles and hikers, so I headed south as quickly as I could.

20200801_162449_resized.jpg
NW of Saguatch -some VERY fun and narrow forest roads in the area.

20200802_124347_resized.jpg
I ended up here after giving a couple Backpackers a lift for about 8 miles on the Colorado Trail west of Saguatch. Great views and a nearby stream. Only downside was the mouse that got into the bed of the truck and woke me up in the middle of the night.

20200803_113150_resized.jpg
Hancock Pass is pretty easy and a lot of fun. Only passed a few quads on the way down to St. Elmo. The area has really changed since the first time I did this pass in my '89 Montero.

20200807_093539_resized.jpg20200807_093615_resized.jpg
Surprisingly nice campsite 30 miles NW of Golden - I stayed here and nearby three nights while I was attending a NOLS WUMP course. I passed!

Such a fun trip. Strider performed marvelously and the GFC made it easy to find remote sites and sleep in comfort. I do need to upgrade my solar panel or battery as the system could not keep up with the fridge on hot days. And I also have to do something to keep the dust out of the bed of the truck.

On the way home I camped in the Nebraska National Forest. The immature owls and crickets serenaded me to sleep and I will be coming back here on my next westward adventure.

Last edited:

djbkm

Loving the the fairing you made man. Just picked up an Ovrlnd camper for my Zr2 a few weeks ago. How did you wire the 3rd brake light on the camper? Seen a few different suggestions for that and trying to decide what would be best.

transalper

Explorer
Loving the the fairing you made man. Just picked up an Ovrlnd camper for my Zr2 a few weeks ago. How did you wire the 3rd brake light on the camper? Seen a few different suggestions for that and trying to decide what would be best.
Thanks! I have not wired the brake light yet. :)

gnel

Hey transalper I was wondering where you sourced the aluminum flat stock for your fairing and do you have any tips for bending it? I´m having a hard time finding it. Thanks

Last edited:

transalper

Explorer
Hey transalper I was wondering where you sourced the aluminum flat stock for your fairing and do you have any tips for bending it? I´m having a hard time finding it. Thanks
It is just plain old flat stock you can get from any home improvement or hardware store.

I use a big bench vice, sawzall, belt sander, drill press, rubber mallet, and over 30 years of experience hacking together brackets. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles