Strider Colorado ZR2 Duramax Explorer Build and Trips

coastalcop

Building nets with magnets is the way to go IMHO. I loved my skeeter beaters when I had my "Minibago" Xterra. Not so useful now with my f150 (alu body construction) . Buying a bunch of neo magnets on amazon is a great way to go, grab some pet rated screen and fit as one part per side and they could adhere to both the Tube frame of the GFC and each other, or two longer pieces that split at the center line of your tent access, allowing them to "re close" with little effort.

Just a few thoughts

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thats a nice looking rig you have there Transalper. I like your mods and upgrades and the camping pics. Seems like you have a lot of rust going on underneath for such a new vehicle. Maybe it is just some kind of optical illusion but a good undercoating might be a good idea. Keep posting those pics. Cheers, chilli... ?

transalper

Explorer
Thanks. No rust yet. Just dirt. Previous owner paid for a THICK undercoating - so much so I cannot see the pretty ZR2 shocks. :)

transalper

Explorer
And now it is winter. I am storing the GFC (to avoid salt exposure) and put on a tonneau for winter driving. Now I can park under the suspended GFC. The color-matched Leer Topper is for sale!

IMG_0267_resized.JPGIMG_0272_resized.JPG

Ratman1979

Observer
Could you post pics/explain how the winch is powered from the battery? I have a '19 diesel ZR2 and the battery/fuse situation on these trucks is a bit intimidating to me.

Ratman1979

Observer
Thanks. Mine looks like this. With other rigs I've owned, I just wired straight to the pos. clamp on the battery. All the other wires and 100A, 400A, 250A tags gave me a little pause.

ZR2 Battery.jpg

dman93

Adventurer
@transalper If you don’t mind my asking, how has the reliability of your truck been? I have a short bed Tacoma, 3rd gen with 3.5V6 and it’s not a great powertrain but has been a very reliable truck over 70K miles. But I really want/need a longer bed, and pricing on 2.8 Duramax crew cab long beds Z71 trucks is pretty decent (no CC long bed ZR2 unfortunately). I drove Duramax Colorado and liked it a lot, torque and fuel economy are two things the Taco doesn’t do well, but, no offense, as a long time Toyota guy I worry about some of the Duramax issues I read about (injectors, holed pistons, ???). Of course there’s lots of bad press on the 3rd gen Tacoma also, so I know not to believe everything I read online. Thanks.

transalper

Explorer
@transalper If you don’t mind my asking, how has the reliability of your truck been? I have a short bed Tacoma, 3rd gen with 3.5V6 and it’s not a great powertrain but has been a very reliable truck over 70K miles. But I really want/need a longer bed, and pricing on 2.8 Duramax crew cab long beds Z71 trucks is pretty decent (no CC long bed ZR2 unfortunately). I drove Duramax Colorado and liked it a lot, torque and fuel economy are two things the Taco doesn’t do well, but, no offense, as a long time Toyota guy I worry about some of the Duramax issues I read about (injectors, holed pistons, ???). Of course there’s lots of bad press on the 3rd gen Tacoma also, so I know not to believe everything I read online. Thanks.
I don't mind at all! I have 54,000 miles (30k are my miles) on my ZR2 with zero problems. I have mostly owned Japanese-made vehicles (some of my old builds are linked below) and am very happy with the Colorado so far. But to be honest, if Toyota had a diesel 3rd Gen 4Runner (or a diesel Xterra??), I would probably be abusing one of those. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online