Stretched 79 + truck camper

Clintnz

Observer
Thought you guys might like a look at a recent project from my mate Klem at Performance Mechanical:

i-n93drmX-L.jpg

Some mutual friends have recently retired & after driving a VDJ79 around on the farm for the last few years they decided a double cab version with a camper would make a great tourer, but of course to fit the camper on the deck & wheelbase needed to be longer...

i-VW43hpB-M.jpg

Klem also upgraded all the suspension with Ironman goodies to carry the load properly. There's a few more pics on his FB page. When I see the beast in the metal I'll get a few more pics for ya.

Cheers
Clint

Rumpig

Adventurer
If the turning circle wasn't bad enough before the stretch, can't imagine it now...lol....i'm saying that as a 79 dual cab owner myself by the way.
Looks like a great set up though to tour the country in.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
How bad can the turn radius be? They are coil sprung right? Got to be better than a leaf sprung Troopy!

Clintnz

Observer
Another cool 79 stretch + Pak-a-Bach camper from Performance Mechanical:

i-Q448p7Z-L.jpg

This one has some serious mods with a JmacX full width rear axle coil+airbag conversion, tip deck, auto gearbox etc.

i-6vvdZ7c-L.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Rumpig

Adventurer
How bad can the turn radius be? They are coil sprung right? Got to be better than a leaf sprung Troopy!
14.4mtrs is the official figure given, let's just say it's woeful whatever the measurement is....i think my previous 105 series Landcruiser was around a 11.0 mtr turning circle as a comparison. The vehicles are coil front and leaf rear.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Another cool 79 stretch + Pak-a-Bach camper from Performance Mechanical:

i-Q448p7Z-L.jpg

This one has some serious mods with a JmacX full width rear axle coil+airbag conversion, tip deck, auto gearbox etc.

i-6vvdZ7c-L.jpg

Cheers
Clint

Honestly, we have the best options for pickups in the world here in the USA if you are going to travel like that. Any of the full sized three over the last 30 or so years will do it.

Cheers

Reactions: bkg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Suspension has nothing to do with turning radius. It is all about the wheelbase of the truck.

Cheers

Well, I’ve had tires rub on leaves before on older Toyota trucks (with taller and wider than stock tires), so it CAN affect it, but you’re correct in saying it shouldn’t. I know my leaf sprung Furds turn noticeably slower than my coil sprung Dodges of similar wheelbase.

You also nailed it with the camper / truck comment. If you are going with a hardside truck camper, my 3500 Cummins truck with camper is awesome. If I want something with less footprint, the 100 series comes out to play.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, I’ve had tires rub on leaves before on older Toyota trucks (with taller and wider than stock tires), so it CAN affect it, but you’re correct in saying it shouldn’t. I know my leaf sprung Furds turn noticeably slower than my coil sprung Dodges of similar wheelbase.

You also nailed it with the camper / truck comment. If you are going with a hardside truck camper, my 3500 Cummins truck with camper is awesome. If I want something with less footprint, the 100 series comes out to play.

Ya to much backspacing can cause scrub.

Best to compare stock to stock. Suspension has nothing to do with turning radius, it is all in the knuckle and CV and it is adjustable. IIRC Toyota is 30-33* or there abouts (across the board for SFA) for knuckle inclination. You can adjust them a bit more but Toyota felt that is what the CVs could handle. If you upgrade CVs you can get more but the knuckle and the steering stop on it will limit it anyways, so even if a CV is rated at 45* max angle you will never get that.

74 fj40 74.JPG

Cheers

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader

Maybe you're confusing the affect of the track and frame rails. Take an old Gwagon. its a coil spring, but you'll get plenty of interference with 35" and up tires without spacers, due to the location of the suspension components and frame. they are close to the axle ball joints due to the narrow track and a general lack of frame taper. later 463s had a wider axle. an fj 60 on the other hand is leaf sprung, but has a ton of frame taper. i put 35's on that with 9" wide rims with stock BS, 2" body lift/2" spring, and never rub.

to top it off the G has a 5" longer wheel base. the whole truck is 35" unfriendly without a bit of fabrication. be prepared to weld to get it all right.

Clintnz

Observer
Honestly, we have the best options for pickups in the world here in the USA if you are going to travel like that. Any of the full sized three over the last 30 or so years will do it.

Cheers

...In the USA. These are New Zealand trucks. We don't get many (if any) full sized pickups over here new. Importation & switching to RHD is $$$$$ so they are rare & expensive even 2nd hand. Parts availability would be limited. The 79 series is rated for a bigger payload than the average 4wd ute here, so is one of the few 'off the shelf' options for fitting a reasonable size truck camper on to.

Cheers
Clint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior