Street tire conundrum

Jnich77

Director of Adventure Management Operations
Hello,

I am at an impasse and could use the advice of strangers...lol. I am going to be getting new tires for my truck soon. I will be getting a street tire in either 275/60/20 or 275/65/20 (currently have 275/55/20). What I'm concerned about is tire weight. The lightest 275/65 ( Nokian HT) that I can find is 46 lbs, and the 275/60 that I am looking at is 42lbs.

It would appear as if all the 275/65/20's are 10 ply and thus heavy... Their is one AT in that size that is arpund 46-48lbs but I don't need an AT tire.

I guess my question is this: will 1" in diameter and 4 lbs cause the 275/65 to drop my fuel economy drastically over the 275/60? I know that I am going to take a small hit....just trying to minimize it.

I am putting Bilstein 5100s on all four corners, so I can level the front to clear the larger tires.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Nope. MT tread style hurts though.

Compound matters as well. Lightweight, paper thin, Hoosier slicks eat fuel mileage.

Recommended books for Overlanding

We Will Be Free: Overlanding In Africa and Around South A...
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
Overlanding the Americas: La Lucha
by Mr Graeme Robert Bell
From $20
Overlanders' Handbook: Worldwide Route & Planning Guide: ...
by Chris Scott
From $29.95
Lone Rider
by speth Beard
From $19.95
Motorcycle Messengers 2: Tales from the Road by Writers w...
by Jeremy Kroeker, Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Billy Ward,...
From $9.99

billiebob

My Uncle drove a government issued Jeep in Europe
I can't imagine going one size bigger will make a dramatic difference. Logic says the taller tire might take more energy to spin but I'd bet it will be insignificant. And I bet the ride going from 55 to 60 or 65 will be better..... and noticeable.

Jnich77

I can't imagine going one size bigger will make a dramatic difference. Logic says the taller tire might take more energy to spin but I'd bet it will be insignificant. And I bet the ride going from 55 to 60 or 65 will be better..... and noticeable.
That's what I am thinking.... Just trying to make sure that my lust to fill my wheel wells isn't clouding my judgement...lol.

The 275/60 turns 630 revolutions per mile and the 275/65 turns 611.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Nothing significant but when I went from 245/75/16 to 265/75/16 on my old Tacoma, I took a ~1 mpg hit (that’s a higher % loss in a Toyota 🤣).

If you like the look of the bigger tires better, I’d go for it. 1mpg isn’t going to kill you.

rruff

Explorer
Just trying to make sure that my lust to fill my wheel wells isn't clouding my judgement...lol.
Weight will slightly effect the ride, but there are other aspects that are more important. For acceleration tire weight is super trivial. The higher gearing may be more noticeable though. Lifting the front end will be a small mpg hit, and maybe the higher gearing as well.

Find a tire with good reviews regarding fuel mileage, ride, noise, handling, etc.

Jnich77

That size does look good though, doesn't it?
Yep...and it's almost got me pulling the trigger on a set...haha.

In a perferct world I'd do a 4" lift and 35x10.5s. But...I live in an urban jungle and the massive hit in fuel economy wouldn't quite be offset by it looking good...lol.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Down: An Epic Journey by Motorcycle from Scotlan...
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $1.65
Crossing the Congo: Over Land and Water in a Hard Place
by Mike Martin, Chloe Baker, Charlie Hatch-Barnwell
From $29.19
Tortillas to Totems (Every day an Adventure Book 4)
by Sam Manicom
From $9.99

Todd n Natalie

Observer
Yep...and it's almost got me pulling the trigger on a set...haha.

In a perferct world I'd do a 4" lift and 35x10.5s. But...I live in an urban jungle and the massive hit in fuel economy wouldn't quite be offset by it looking good...lol.
Depends on how often you drive it and your perspective.

If fuel economy to save dough was all that mattered, you could cruise a beater Civic with a roofbox for fishing rods and rent a truck when you need to tow.

Couple MPG isn't going to make a big difference at the end of the day.

The way I figure it, if I was that worried about MPG, I wouldn't drive a truck... and a truck on aggressive tires at that, haha

Shovel

Dreaming Ape
For a long time I've been in the habit of running tires that are "Too Small" according to random people whose opinion doesn't fill my gas tank despite being made entirely out of combustible gas.

Gotta pick whether vanity or utility is more important to you.

In any case, fix your speedometer calibration if you deviate from stock tire size. Otherwise your MPG is going to look a whole lot worse than it truly is unless you're some fanatic weirdo who runs a GPS, pocket calculator and graph paper notepad at every fill-up.