Strapping down a kayak to a roof-rack

rnArmy

Adventurer
What are you all actually using to strap your kayaks to your roof-racks?

There's a thread under Storage Solutions titled: "Your preferred Roof Rack straps, tie down options?" that talks about straps obviously.

I've read where some folks like using NRS cam-straps, but I wonder if they could come loose? Folks seem to love them though from what I've read. But I've used cheap (from Harbor Freight; and don't hate because I like Harbor Freight) cam-lock ones before (not for strapping down a kayak) and seems like I was always worried about them loosening up.

https://www.nrs.com/product/1453/nrs-j-hook-tie-down-straps

Some folks recommend things like the Stratchits from Front Runner (and other similar straps) that are part cam-strap, and part bungee strap. But I don't know if I want my kayak being able to bounce on its mount (due to the elastic part stretching). Plus it looks like it extends to 60" max.

And I've got a bucket full of Harbor Freight ratchet straps at home that I'm sure would work. At least they will lock-in-place and stay there once tightened.

So maybe I'm over thinking this, but what do you folks use (especially if carrying over rough or rocky terrain where you're bouncing)?

Attachments

• kayak.2.jpg
    kayak.2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • Kayak.1.jpg
    Kayak.1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
I've got upwards of 50000 miles using yakima cam straps and never had one slip. NRS ones are great also. 6mil accessory cord works too. Hell, walmart clothesline works.

You are over thinking it.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I use the larger Harbor Fruaght ratchet straps. They're as wide as a seatbelt. The skinny 1" versions are absolute garbage.

I use foam padding that'll squish enough to take slack out of the lines, without the strap crushing the kayaks.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
I use NRS straps for almost everything raft related, including strapping multiple rafts stacked up on my trailer with kayaks on top of them strapped to the top frame. I've towed them thousands of miles and nothing ever moves. Loop straps are a great option for roof racks too. Cam straps are just easier to use over ratchet straps and get plenty tight.

I just clicked that link, I always worry about anything with that j-hook at the end since that's the part that will come off. Either take one strap and go over the top around the bar and back over the top, or use loop straps. I prefer a closed system where nothing can move. You definitely don't need to worry about the cam loosening.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've got three 5/16" SS eye-bolts bolted through the Jeep's rack tracks and Jeep's roof along both sides as attachment points for securing the kayak down. When you say (referring to the J-hooks) "that's the part that will come off", what exactly is that "part" that comes off? Does the J-hook detach from the strap itself, or does the hook "unhook" from its attachment point?

I guess I could use some NRS cam straps that have loops at the ends vs. J-hooks (the 1" straps should fit through the eye-bolts):

https://www.nrs.com/product/1444/nrs-1-loop-straps

I have this vision (fantasy?) of me taking the Jeep and trailer and kayak up to northern Canada and Alaska and just camping and a little kayaking (maybe running the Dempster Highway all the way to the end this time). So I want it to be secure. See this first picture? I was wishing then I had my kayak (that's what started all this).

Attachments

• Overlanding.1.jpg
    Overlanding.1.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 24
  • kayak.2.jpg
    kayak.2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

haynesdad

Observer
Yakima Cam straps are awesome. I never use ratchet straps as I've seen people over tighten them and damage some pricey boats.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
The hook could detach from the attachment point. Will it? Probably not, but could if something flexed or bounced hard enough. It's a bit different with inflatables since you have changing pressure making things tighter or looser as you go, so that's why I don't use something that could detach anywhere, using a continuous strap or loop straps solves that. J-hooks would probably be just fine for what you are doing, just a good vs better thing to me.

rnArmy

Adventurer
I think you all have convinced me to go with the cam locks vs. the ratchet straps (thank-you). And while I'm sure the Yakima Cam Straps are excellent, they sure are pricey. I'll probably end up with a couple of the NRS Cam Straps. Now to decide hooks vs. loops (and needed length).

Last edited:

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Cam straps here as well - and then a couple of half hitches to lock off the strap once it's tight. Used them on trailers and roof racks (a lot). I have a mix of 3m and 5m straps, and they're all either 25mm or 50mm wide - the 50mm are used for my canoe as they are 5m long.

I prefer cam straps over ratchet straps as it's harder to crush the hulls.

Whatever you use, check them after a bit of time, and make sure the roof rack is securely fastened... don't just fit and forget either of them.

Triplesnake

Adventurer
I have many miles hauling up to 3 kayaks on my Titan's overhead rack using Yakima cam straps and have never had a problem, including a good amount of rough beach driving. For an added level of safety, I highly recommend also adding a bow line to the front of the truck, especially for highway driving.
aXT8xO1.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
Sounds good. I have upside-down U-bolts on my roof rack to keep it centered, and eye-bolts attached along the sides (through the roof) for the straps. I'll probably go with the looped ends (I checked to make sure 1" straps would easily go through the Jeep's eyebolts; they do). I will attach lines to the front-and-back of the kayak and attach them to the rack (or along the tracks) to prevent/limit front-to-rear movement of the kayak while driving down the road (or stopping suddenly). I really don't want my kayak becoming airborne!

Attachments

• Kayak.1.jpg
    Kayak.1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Kayak.5.jpg
    Kayak.5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • Kayak.6.jpg
    Kayak.6.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

s.e.charles

any boat which has graced my rack has been held down with 3/8" nylon line. you only need to know about 6 knots, one being a bow, to get through life. everything else is extra. canoe, kayak, rowing shell. staging planks, framing lumber, sheets of anything. 6 knots.

and put a bow line on your boats if you don't want the shake & shudder. y'know, like it says in the instructions. OMFG we have become a specialized society. "I can't play that game because I don't have special shoes - wahhhhhhh".

c'mon; Scout-up!

rnArmy

Adventurer
I thought agonizing over just the right part for overlanding was part of the fun?

I can't make a decision related to my vehicle (or trailer) unless I:

Do a search (on this forum and a google search),
start my own thread,
weigh the pros-and-cons of the comments received,
search for the part (and the best price),
check with the banker (i.e. my wife if it is over $100),
sleep on it,
finally make a decision after staring at my vehicle for way too long,
order the part,
anxiously wait for the part to arrive,
savor the installation process (shop time is quality time - "me-time"),
and then take pictures and post them on the thread I started.

Bonus points if you had to buy a new tool to do the install.
Double bonus points if this project made you to realize you needed to start another project you hadn't thought of (and start the cycle over again).

Last edited:

s.e.charles

don't forget: post the _ _ _ _ in the For Sale section since realizing it wasn't something you needed in the first place and now little Sally needs braces and Tommy's school trip is coming up next month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94