Stoves??

Techno Guy

I know 2 people in the UK with Partner stoves. Both were bought direct from Partner who shipped them over here.
Have you emailed them?

bear100

I did, believe it or not a I bought a new Dual fuel stove, I nearly bought the same stove as you, it was on offer in Costco but as you have mentioned the bottles would be the issue. I’m currently in south of France and used the Coleman almost every day using Aspen 4 fuel and it’s fantastic.

roving1

You are not using it correctly or your stove is in bad shape. They should never need pumping after they are running.

The singles do as there is not a lot of air volume to keep the pressure up especially if they are near full liquid fuel wise. But they also pump up quick so pumping to light and then a pump after blue flame is enough to run for quite a long time for me anyways.

bear100

There must have been an air leak on my original stove from day one, the new (dual burner) works a treat and only pump the once!

svinyard

Am I right in that Partner Stoves are still the best you can get? I need a portable camp stove for cooking inside/out of the camper (it's plumbed for propane both in and out). I've never had a Partner but they look rugged as hell lol. Wish they had a bit more BTU output but it seems like they are maybe underrated in that department and actually pretty dang hot. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be another highend option. I'm tired of the thin metal POS stuff with burners that suck after a couple years.

On another note! Check out my fav Korean BBQ recipe lady...I dunno why but this lady is awesome. She's cooking on a pretty dope little burner+plate and getting some nice grill lines too!! (maybe Asia figured this portable grill thing out eons ago and we are just catching up).

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Am I right in that Partner Stoves are still the best you can get? I need a portable camp stove for cooking inside/out of the camper (it's plumbed for propane both in and out). I've never had a Partner but they look rugged as hell lol. Wish they had a bit more BTU output but it seems like they are maybe underrated in that department and actually pretty dang hot. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be another highend option. I'm tired of the thin metal POS stuff with burners that suck after a couple years.

On another note! Check out my fav Korean BBQ recipe lady...I dunno why but this lady is awesome. She's cooking on a pretty dope little burner+plate and getting some nice grill lines too!! (maybe Asia figured this portable grill thing out eons ago and we are just catching up).

She's cooking on the standard butane "catering" burner that several of us have mentioned upthread - the kind they use for the Omelette station at a brunch buffet. They range from ~7k BTUs to ~15k BTUs and $20 to $50. Those grill pans are similarly inexpensive if you have an asian market close by. Usually <$20.

These are what I use because I prefer the portability and easy-light operation. I prefer having two separate burners rather than a double-burner stove because I can change the spacing if I'm using one of them with a big pot or pan. The only negative of the butane burners "on paper" is that they don't work as well in extreme cold - the canisters could not have enough vapor pressure. In practice, I don't do enough cold weather camping that this has been a problem for me. If it did manifest, I'd just tuck a canister inside my jacket for a few minutes to warm it up - once the stove is active, the cartridge is self-heating. As far as "rugged" - I've never had one of mine fail to light, including the one that's been bouncing around my rig since ~2012. For what I'd paid, I wouldn't complain about replacing it now. The Partner Stoves are built very tough because they were originally designed for rafters and boaters where they will see a lot of handling abuse and exposure to corrosive environments.

CSG

Explorer
I like the single burner butane stoves too. Then again, mostly all I do is heat water and cook eggs and sausage or bacon. Lunch is usually a sandwich and dinner is similar or a Mountain House. My two burner propane Coleman doesn't come along anymore and my little backpacking stove stays packed. In the van, the two burner propane stove hasn't been lit in at least 2 years. I almost never turn on the propane as the fridge is a compressor unit and I don't run the heat because it's too big a drain on the batteries.

Last edited:

svinyard

My cousin has both a 22" Partner stove and a Skottle. It's just him and his wife doing Colorado, AZ and Baja out of Landcruiser so no camper or kids. He said he hasn't dusted off the Partner stove in two years. Apparently the Skottle is just super convenient for cooking outside. Cleanup is just water boiled, wiped and bagged. Sounds pretty sweet, I hate kitchen clean-up after a long day. That being said, we need something to cook indoors (truck camper) & outdoors for a family of 4. Camper is plumbed inside and outside to campers propane quick-connects. Fridge makes real meals a viable option and I like to cook. Wife wants the Partner stove and Jetboil at the moment. I think that with a cast iron, double-sided griddle could be the ticket along with maybe a sauce pan for pasta etc. Its more stuff than the Skottle tho. Cool to hear how you guys are making due!

gatorgrizz27

I haven’t seen the MSR stoves mentioned, I recently picked up one of these Whisperlite Universals and it seems ideal to me if you aren’t cooking multiple dishes for a large group.

Light, compact, and can run on isobutane for a quick cup of coffee/tea, or white gas, kerosene, unleaded gasoline, or even stuff like citronella oil if common fuel is scarce.

CSG

Explorer
Before I got a butane burner, I used my MSR Superfly, a design I like a whole lot better (due to the wider burner) than the Pocket Rocket. I always wondered why they discontinued what I thought was a superior designed stove. The Pocket Rocket Deluxe seems to address the burner issue of the original Pocket Rocket.

Discontinued MSR Superfly:

1598811100272.png1598811100272.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles