Stoves??

85_Ranger4x4

Really? Do you have a link for that?

OP's might need the generator cleaned or something which isn't a big deal. These things are fully servicable.

I actually used my circa 1973 stove to fry a steak today at work over my lunch hour as I pressed new bushings in my leaf springs. Its been in the family since 1980 (sat on the shelf for 7 years apparently) and has yet to miss a beat.

Last edited:

Driftwood77

I am also in the UK , I have a Tilley twosome stove. It's tough and reliable and not to large to pack away in the trailer.
Could not find a picture of mine so grabbed a couple off the net.

Attachments

• 20200314_133513.jpg
    20200314_133513.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200314_133329.jpg
    20200314_133329.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57

bear100

Your Coleman should be super reliable. I have one that is probably 100 years old that still runs great. Why not fix it? There is nothing to them.
mine has been a of a faff from new nth, and in my mind its far simpler to just light the gas and go, i may try a different fuel and see how that goes?

bear100

I’m using the Camp Chef summit series. I got the slightly nicer than Everest model, the one from REI, and love it. I cannot however, remember the name of that model.

That being said, I do wish a few things about disassembly and cleaning were easier.

curious, why can’t you get the Partner stoves in UK?
i have looked everywhere but nobody imports them, there is one of Ebay for £600,

bear100

OP's might need the generator cleaned or something which isn't a big deal. These things are fully servicable.

I actually used my circa 1973 stove to fry a steak today at work over my lunch hour as I pressed new bushings in my leaf springs. Its been in the family since 1980 (sat on the shelf for 7 years apparently) and has yet to miss a beat.

steak in the garage! lol, im going to fully service it and see how i go, but in my head lighting a gas stove has to be easier!

bear100

I have had a thing with stoves. I have has about 15 different ones at a time. As was mentioned earlier depending on what you want, the space available, the time your going to be out and availability of the type of fuel each requires. This makes me pick which will work best for that situation.

My go to is the Coleman 2 burner. If you have old fuel sit in it for a long time and it turns to lacquer, you may want to run some carb. cleaner through it to clean out the lacquer.

Frenchie
good idea i will give the carb cleaner a try :)

CSG

Explorer
As I rarely cook anything but water and eggs/bacon, I usually use a single burner butane stove. I also have an MSR backpacking stove and a Coleman two burner propane stove. There's a two burner stove built into my van as well but I almost never use it. One thing I haven't done for awhile is grill because my current portable grill (Weber Q) is too big to carry in the van. I will be getting UCO's Flatpack grill (large) tomorrow and hope it works well with briquettes for steaks and chicken.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I have encountered some great camp cooks over the years. I am not one of them.

As a single, retired guy my cooking tends to consist of pushing the "on" button on the microwave or firing up the gas BBQ or heading someplace where someone will cook for me.

My camping setup is no more complex - a single burner dual fuel stove and a mini skottle.

My single burner stove can run on 8 oz. butane canisters or 1 lb. propane bottles.

71XtYfkRXLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Skottle.jpg

https://store.overlandbound.com/products/adventure-skottle-grill-overland-bound-edition

I sourced adapters for my mini skottle so I can run the small 4 oz. butane and all-season fuel blend canisters, the larger 8 oz. butane canisters, or a 1 lb. propane bottle.

Gas Converter,for Butane Canister to Screw Gas Cartridge/Lindal Type Valve Adapter

Jeebel Camp LPG Adapter 1L Propane Small Tank Input EN417 Lindal Valve Output

Nothing fancy, but it packs away neatly and takes up little room. On a recent 3-week overlanding trip to Cabo San Lucas I used 8 oz. butane canisters for both stove and skottle. Worked perfectly.

Last edited:

Hoooogan

After years on the standard propane Coleman 2 burner, I got fed up with it after i struggled to get it hot enough for Korean BBQ. Disclaimer, there was some wind, but nothing crazy. It just doesn't like wind, at all.

Purchased a Camp Chef Everest and i'm not looking back. Double the output, push button start, flame control that actually works. Very happy. And it fits where I kept the old stove, barely.

85_Ranger4x4

steak in the garage! lol, im going to fully service it and see how i go, but in my head lighting a gas stove has to be easier!

I do the pumping thing and light it, it seems pretty straightforward. (y)

I have dabbled collecting Coleman stuff (mainly lanterns) for a couple years now. Generally if it doesn't work it is old fuel that has dried and is plugging something up or something about a bug blocking airflow. If they build and hold pressure an actual hard part is kinda rare to need replaced. There is a ton of info about how to work on them out there.

But I love tinkering with stuff like this, I use a 1961 200A lantern to monitor how stuff is cooking on my charcoal grille...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles