Stove: Camp Chef Everest vs Stansport High Ouput

refried

Adventurer
I've had a Camp Chef Weekender for over 10 years and have been very happy with it, It's big and heavy but it outperforms anything I had before.

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
I had to revive this thread with an update. I purchased the Camp Chef Everest stove last June. I've used it twice since then. I've noticed that yes, the knobs are a little tight and it is difficult to adjust to a low flame, but it can be done. I am a big fan of the bigger BTU output as I like my breakfast cooked in less than an hour and the old Coleman propane with what 5k BTU was barely a hand-warmer compared to this stove. Takes about 20 minutes with this stove. HOWEVER - and this is upper-case for a reason. Both times I have used the stove, which equals every time I've used the stove, flames randomly shoot out the plastic top of the regulator. I tried everything I knew to try - re-seating the connections, making sure nothing was causing any stress to the connections, using the burner furthest away, nothing works. You cannot leave this stove unattended. I finally contacted Camp Chef support - if you have this problem, go directly to support, as the chat-line people are clueless as to what products they sell and how they work. At first they requested a receipt. Well, I'm not digging around for a receipt for an issue like this, - it is a life-threatening defect in the equipment. For some reason they had to have pictures of the regulator and the bottom of the stove, which I sent them. After getting the pictures, they quickly sent out a new regulator. I'll see how that works the next time I'm out which should be in about a month. Just because this is how I roll, I think I will try sealing the top of the old regulator with epoxy and keep the new one as a backup :)

At any rate, I find it disturbing that such an expensive stove comes with plastic fittings on one of the most life-critical parts. That's the downside of buying stuff online.

Mine's failed that way once as well. I suspect they all will eventually. Good idea to keep a spare regulator set on hand. They are not expensive if you buy directly from camp chef.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Okay guys with the Everest stove, how well are you able to do low temperature work like simmering or warming?

summerprophet

Adventurer
I had the same dilemma you did, and while close, I think the Everest fared slightly higher. Both have twice the output of a Coleman.

I ended up getting the stansport, as I found it for sale locally.

I think you will be happy with either one.

On a side note for the stansport, I can fit a gsa griddle, and a dish towel underneath the grill when it is folded up. The prevents any rattling during transport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles