Stove and oven

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
I will have a lot of questions over the period of the next few months. My girlfriend and I are building (or having custom build in Europe to be exact) an expedition truck for our trip around the world. Right now we are in process of designing the "box" in cooperation with our builder, working on exact dimensions, picking appliances and all the fun stuff. So my first question is:

diesel stove or propane stove (or any other choices)?

I know there are a lot of experienced people on here and it will be great help to get your opinion.
Thanx, Tomas

kerry

Expedition Leader
Europeans have eye level propane powered 'toaster ovens' or something similar. I don't know what Europeans call them. I've had two different ones in two Euro motorhomes I've owned. I've really liked them. Not as big as an oven under the stove but great for toasting, grilling and baking. But you wont fit a turkey in there.

jackotheroad

stoves ovens - the pros & cons of diesel

I've been looking at diesel appliances, stove oven combo... for a camper unit on the top of my dreamlist.

anyone have experience cooking with a ceramic non direct flame cook top? how efficient is it cooking with that sort of stove? I like the idea of no open flame, and no condensation. But we also like to cook up a storm...

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
what fuel is going to be available the most in most places? That would make up my mind as what to start with...ie diesel or propane. Doesn't really matter what you have if you can't get fuel. Seems to me diesel is more available than propane....

jackotheroad

yes, diesel is almost always available, also, if a person has a diesel powered vehicle, then diesel appliances seem like the logical solution yet I am not convinced that a ceramic cooking top can do the job like an open flame propane cook stove can.

66gaza

I have a diesel Wallas ceramic hob and oven, they cook just like a home stove & oven. The oven is brilliant having a digital readout for temp and timer. They both take about 10 mins to warm up. The hob puts out plenty of heat and has 1 side hotter than the other. The hob has a blower lid so doubles as a heater too. I have had trouble with the hob once this was due to overheating as the oven was on and directly beneath. I fixed this with a 12v computer fan wired to the hob electrics so its on when the hob is on and cools the electronics from underneath. I have not had this problem since. As a backup I have a British army stove No12 which runs on diesel as well as kerosene paraffin etc (this is a fantastic bit of kit).

Gaza

Last edited:

soenke

Adventurer
I don´t know if the topic is still to be decided...

we decided against the Wallas Diesel cooker because of the
-price
-Diesel pump doesn´t manage to get the fuel from the vehicle tank, it will need an extral supply close by
-problems in height (above 2500m)
-takes time to heat up and cool down

I think Gas (Propane) is best for those, doing serious cooking.

I like the non pressured and non explosiv ORIGO spirit systems better, we use this ORIGO 1500 as a semi-mobile cooker for inside, mainly for heating water.... Its used a lot in yachts in europe..

3274803.jpg

this includes two flames an ofen and probably suits your demands

3274804.jpg

there is a dual, spirit and 220V elektrik system available too

We do most of the cooking outside, using the coleman cooker and stove...
(New Year 2009)
3274846.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles