Storz's Project XJ!

Storz

Explorer
Picked up a pretty clean 1997 XJ Sport yesterday for $100. Ran when parked, owner is a friend of a friend so I trust the info. 183k miles, interior and exterior are surprisingly clean, I am the 3rd owner. Going to slowly peck away at it and make a sort of fun camping and exploring rig, nothing huge just some basic off road mods. First order of business is to get it running, it currently needs a starter. Previous owner snatched the one in it for a different XJ he had. Rust present on the rockers, going to cut everything rusty out and replace inner and outer rocker panels. I'll try to update this thread as I work through everything.

It came with a box of all new control arms, and a second set of WJ 15" aluminum wheels.

The ol girl sat here for approx a year
51269805306_5d4d732b2a_b.jpg

Its home!
51270537149_2e6cd023b2_b.jpg

The paint cleaned up really well
51270833735_8c732bbcc2_b.jpg

Zeep

Adventurer
I don't know where your located, but that one looks cleaner, than most. Rusty rockers are very common here in S.E. Michigan.

Storz

Explorer
I don't know where your located, but that one looks cleaner, than most. Rusty rockers are very common here in S.E. Michigan.

Up in the hills of Western NC. Lots of winter road salt here.

Few quick fixes today. Patched up the trans cooler lines with fresh hose, installed some various trim pieces.

Storz

Explorer
It's cool to see how interested in this project my 8 year old son is. I haven't had a project vehicle since before he was born ?

Attachments

• 20210626_104345.jpg
    20210626_104345.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 24

Storz

Explorer
Well guys that was a short lived project, I dug into the underside more and found a huge rip/tear/rust in the frame and it is just beyond my fab skills etc to fix so the Jeep sold yesterday to someone that needed a donor engine/trans. I am going to keep my eyes open for another XJ that is rust free, but maybe has some mechanical issues to work on. Stay tuned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior