Storm: Another Astro Camper/Ski/Climb/Bike Van

jmeb

Observer
A few days ago I picked up my second 2001 AWD Astro van. This one is the platform to build my keeper on. It's already quite "built" so this thread will mostly concern refining it for my needs, maintenance and minor upgrades.

Background: My first Astro -- Bessie -- was a <$2k, well-beaten, cosmetically-rough example that really introduced me to the state of Colorado, and brief excursions around the Western US. I was bitten by the van bug, but started to realize that Bess wasn't the particular van worth putting lots of money into. Mechanically it's in okay shape, but cosmetically and "little things" (power accessories, body damage, etc etc) were going to drain me of funds.

So I started the hunt for a replacement. I almost gave up on vans in favor of a larger SUV a la Mitsu Montero or Isuzu Trooper after drooling over the rigs on here and seeing them at reasonable prices/condition in my market.

But then on Tuesday night this got posted to my local CL....

12771997_10100789751593300_9019224334351297238_o.jpg

And be Wednesday afternoon I had it inspected, had cut a check and gotten temp. tags.

When it got home...
16Qtj1r.jpg

The new rig is also a 2001 AWD Astro. Basic details are:

- Miles:133k.
- Owners: I'm the 3rd Owner. First was old lady who used it to transport corgis to dog shows (owner 2 had hilarious photos) for the vans first 120k. The 2nd owner did all modifications and put 13K on it. He's upgrading to an AWD Express (cool looking build, wondering if he's around here.)
- Suspension 3.5" over stock. Sub-frame spacers up front, add-a-leaf + coil-over shocks in the rear. Rancho 5000 up front. Bumper relocated with Overland van brackets.
- Drivetrain: Stock everything
- Tires/Wheels: 275/75/15 tires on stock rims that have been powdercoated. Adds about 1/2" of clearance as well.
- Exterior: Bumpers / Lower trim has been plasti-dipped, then coated with black truck-bed liner. Tinted windows (factory). Upgraded headlamp bulbs.
- Racks: Safari basket in the front half. 2 Yakima fork-mount and a 2pair/2boards ski rack in the back.
- Interior: Two custom-made seat swivels on original tracks/hardware. Kenwood head unit with Bluetooth/USB/Aux (including installed hands-free mic.) Amp under passengers seat and subwoofer in the back.

Photo time
hJ9pxyN.jpg

Gsw9rMu.jpg

bOvKEKb.jpg

wGeFI5V.jpg

Maintenance
As with most any car with 133k on it, the new rig needs a few bits of freshening up in the new few thousand miles.

- Idler arms. Like every Astro ever. Already have the Moog parts on the way.
- Upper right control arm. Worn, but not horrible. Moog parts on their way, doing both sides at once before the alignment.
- Power steering hose leak. Need to powerwash and isolate.
- Oil pan gasket slight leak. More of an annoyance than a big problem in my understanding. Will get to this summer.
- Replace tiny spare with something more appropriately sized. Probably keep in the stock location as at least a 29" tire can fit down there. A swing out would be nice but it would have to be custom fabrication.

Upgrades
In rough order of happening....

- Sleep: Move over existing sleeping setup: wood platform built for behind rear-seat, fold down rear seat, and pop-up 4'x2' plastic table trimmed to ~19" to make a level, full-size platform.
- Flooring: Flooring/Carpet from the front seats back. Previously used some rubber-backed carpets from Home Depot. Not sure what the best long-term solution is for this van. Want relatively easy to clean, doesn't mind getting wet (skis). Thoughts?
- Windows: Front window bug covers. Either homemade socks over the doors or magnets (a la Skeeter Beater).
- Dining: Folding table on inside of a lower dutch door. Already got some wood on hand to use, probably a simple setup of urethane-d wood, piano hinge on the bottom, nylon straps to store/hold up.
- Awning: Probably not ARB, as I want it to easily stow in the cargo basket or be very quick to take on/off the roof rail as it will only be installed for weekend/week-long getaways. Either home-brewed awning with PVC pipe or Coleman adjustable tent poles or something like the Ezy-Awning.
- Inside hatch release: I've seen it done with a switch wired in. I'd actually prefer a manual release if it could be done cleanly. Haven't seen one documented yet.
- Jerry can Either a single or double mount on the left-rear lower dutch door. Most of the time I'm not that remote and it will be used with a water jerry can, probably a Frontrunner with an upgraded tap.
- Custom table: For the middle section to replace plastic folding 4'x2'. Ideally collapsible and adjustable height (from about 19" to 26-8") for better cooking / drinking cardplaying ergonomics when not sleeping.
- House battery system: Charged via alternator. (I'd be interested in solar if I could find a way to squish it in among all the racks.) Probably a single battery as it will be primarily used for lights, charging phones/GPS/headlamps, stereo, and maybe an electric blanket during winter.

First order of business

Which tires to keep / put on and which to sell with the old Astro? Three sets to choose from:

- Big O Big Foot A/Ts. 235/75/15 (i think?). ~5000mi on them. Load Range: D. Currently installed.
- Cooper Discoverer A/T3. 225/70/15. ~9000mi on them. Load Range: C. Sitting in storage.
- Cooper Discoverer M+S. 235/70/15. ~4000mi on them. Load Range: C. Installed on old Astro.

Last edited:

jmeb

Observer
Nice rig! I'd keep the 235/75-15s on it.

Thanks. Looking forward to really dialing it in. I've saved up a good amount of PTO to explore CO/Utah/Wy this summer.

Re-tires: I'm thinking I'll keep the current ones on there. I may just mount/balance one of the Discoverer AT/3's as the spare. Keep the other three around just-in-case.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
...Re-tires: I'm thinking I'll keep the current ones (235/75-15) on there. I may just mount/balance one of the Discoverer AT/3's (235/70-15) as the spare. Keep the other three around just-in-case.

I would NOT do that. Mixing tire sizes on an AWD vehicle is asking for trouble, especially if you plan on using it where AWD will be active. Imagine you've gone off on an adventure and pop a tire in the backcountry. Put on your spare on, which rotates ~23 rpm fewer per mile, and your transfercase or cv axles are put under additional stress and poof you've gone from having a flat to having a tow bill. Not worth the <$150 of a tire IMO. 5 tire rotation is advised for AWD vehicles. I've done it on some Subarus and not done on it others, never had a catastrophic failure but I've always used 5 tires of the same size.

Last edited:

jmeb

Observer
I would NOT do that. Mixing tire sizes on an AWD vehicle is asking for trouble, especially if you plan on using it where AWD will be active. Imagine you've gone off on an adventure and pop a tire in the backcountry. Put on your spare on, which rotates ~23 rpm fewer per mile, and your transfercase or cv axles are put under additional stress and poof you've gone from having a flat to having a tow bill. Not worth the <$150 of a tire IMO. 5 tire rotation is advised for AWD vehicles. I've done it on some Subarus and not done on it others, never had a catastrophic failure but I've always used 5 tires of the same size.

Hmm.. fair point, I figured it would be a stop-gap that was better than the dinky spare that is under there now. Maybe I should just go buy another matching one and see if if it can fit in the allotted space. In that case, sell the Discover AT/3's and use $$$ to buy a matching spare.

dmilamj

Nice looking van. I like the blacked out lower third, I'll probably copy that for my van at some point.

jmeb

Observer
Not pics of the cool stuff of the van, but this morning I transferred over the sleeping setup, temp-mounted the small inverter and removed the overhead seatbelt that almost never gets used to allow for more headspace. Thinking I'll somehow add a small light fixture there -- maybe just a piece of wood mounted to the existing studs, and then a battery-powered LED light mounted to it.

Seat can go up or down with the table. Subwoofer (probably will remove for longer trips) resting on top for now.
Tu8dNwx.jpg

The front table is a plastic-folding table, which stores on the floor when not in use. We lay out a foam mattress (this one: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Camp-Beds/732419.uts) over the the whole thing to sleep which is pretty darn comfy. Plan to sand and stain/polyurethane the rear table to match the drop-down table I'm going to build on the rear door.
ZEtJYe5.jpg

Where a light needs to go.
pTQaIkW.jpg

Crappy old inverter that just won't die.
dMOr4Eb.jpg

nobodyhome

Adventurer
WOOOOOO! Another comes to the Astro party! Love this rig man, looks like you lucked out all the hard work is done.
I've found that the O'reilly Idler arms are on par with the OEM/ Moog stuff, at 1/10th the price its hard not to go that route.

Enjoy!

jmeb

Observer
WOOOOOO! Another comes to the Astro party! Love this rig man, looks like you lucked out all the hard work is done.
I've found that the O'reilly Idler arms are on par with the OEM/ Moog stuff, at 1/10th the price its hard not to go that route.

Enjoy!

Yep -- nice that lots of the legwork is already done. I just have a few camping-focused touches -- drop down table on rear door, new rear platform (simpler design in mind that utilizes space better), jerry can mounts--one for fuel & one for water by the drop-down table, a layer of marine-backed carpet, eventually a house-battery setup with a fan.

Fluids (trans, diff, oil) will get done this week. Next week I'm putting in new upper control arm & ball joints (same price for the whole assembly and less work pressing in ball joints) and idler arms. I found Moog on closeout at RockAuto for a whopping $10.74. They come in a CarQuest box, but the part is stamped Moog Problem Solvers with the right number.

jmeb

Observer
Updates:

- Sold the old van and sleeping platform tables.
- New van got: fresh fluids, upper control arm assemblies and idler arms.
- Built a new rear platform. Simpler, sturdier (I think) assembly. Certainly a lot cleaner. Pricier though as flanges ran about $7 a pop at hardware store. Leg pipe was only $15 but that is a good bit more than the previous 2x4 design. Design also gives more storage space underneath and length-wise through storage by aligning table legs and rear-bench seat legs. A few coats of stain/poly. It also has 12" leg extensions so we can use the platform as a normal-height table when camping.

Off to camp/ski for the weekend after work today.

boerUoA.jpg

2lOiDCX.jpg

The pictured subwoofer actually fits nicely into one of the side-areas under the platform. It'll still be coming out for longer voyages.

Van on the Run

Awesome van! Great use of space! I am right at 130K on my 2002 AWD.

Sorry, I may have missed it if you mentioned earlier, did you install the lift yourself or have it done locally?

jmeb

Observer
Awesome van! Great use of space! I am right at 130K on my 2002 AWD.

Sorry, I may have missed it if you mentioned earlier, did you install the lift yourself or have it done locally?

Actually, I did neither. It was done when I bought it buy a local fellow who was upgrading to a full size AWD Savanna. He had it installed at a shop. It is 3" sub-frame spacers with Rancho 5000 shocks, and add-a-leaf + coil overs in the the rear. With upsized tires comes out to about 3 1/2" lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier