Storing Tire in Truck Bed

tarditi

Explorer
You could probably get by with a decent strap, but they do degrade when out in the weather for a while - a fixed bracket/mount like the one you listed would be ideal long-term.

I kept a spare in my bed with crossed ratchet straps, but they were under a tonneau, and out of the sun and rain.

dumprat

Adventurer
It used to be the standard way of hauling a spare, either that or on the front bumper if you had a camper.

You can build a tire holder with a piece of 4" wide flat bar and some Reid rod in less than an hour.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
What truck do you have? Knowing that may give us alternatives. Is there any particular reason why the spare needs to be in the bed?

1stDeuce

Explorer
My dad had an old Chevy work truck that had the spare mounted in front of the driver's side wheel well. It was the smallish factory spare, so it sat right on the floor. There was a small piece of angle that kept the bottom of the tire from kicking out, and some sort of device like the one you linked that held it to the rail. Don't know why you couldn't pin it to the rail with a strap instead...

But it's only going to fit well if you have a long box, and stock-ish sized tires...

UsubM

It's a short bed F150. The wheel fits on the tailgate side of the wheel well.
The point of it being in the bed is I'd like to get it out from under the truck, and a tiregate or something feasible as I'd like to be able to still lay the tailgate down and strap longer cargo in the bed.

I might just wander through Lowes tomorrow looking for materials to build some kind of mount out of

155mm

Adventurer
Here's another example of what you're trying to do:
19712758589_3493e828a9_o.jpg

You may want to look into reinforcing the bedsides or transferring load to the floor, since that seems like a lot of weight shifting from side to side.

Badin

Thanks greengear, I am going to try that. I have a 87 f150 on the under bed mount was not one of ford's better ideas.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thanks greengear, I am going to try that. I have a 87 f150 on the under bed mount was not one of ford's better ideas.

I hear you on that. American trucks finally copied Japan's winch system. The mount on my '86 F-250 was awful.
I use a ratchet strap stretched between frame rails to add piece of mind after having my winch fail after a bunch of Mexico runs on my '99 Dodge.
Rare but it happens.

chet6.7

Explorer
I watching this thread looking for ideas as well.I have a trip coming up so I just moved my tire from the bed to the rear cab wall.If I have a flat I will have to take stuff out of the bed,not optimal...especially when it's raining.

KSL22

Adventurer

I have mine against the rear cab wall drivers side. I made a y - ratchet strap to hold it using two 3" ratchet straps. One hook with the ratchet goes over the rear bed rail. Of the other two, one hooks to the hole in the steak pocket and the other hooks to the hook at the floor. I just fed both the strap ends through the same ratchet. Works well but I want it in the location shown here. I was going to make a complicated "chase mount", but if I can make something like this work it would be much easier to make.

20160923_160556.jpg

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
A simple fix

I had to get the wheel set out of the way while making the interior boxes on Reuben. The strap was just to hold the spare for a bit but it gave me an idea; This was a good spot for the spare and how can I make a bracket to hold the spare there?

296nkmu.jpg

The idea was good but needed a bit of refining
16jnihz.jpg

I ended up making a bracket that went inside of the lip of the bed and held a turnbuckle that connected and held the spare. I added to that, a cover since the tire was in the same area that I would be sleeping in. Note, the turnbuckle does not just mount to the bed of the truck but to a 16" X 1" plate that is bolted to the bed in four spots. This spreads out the tension so as not to bend the bed rail.

27y9y6w.jpg

b5r1up.jpg

nlr8e9.jpg

The final result turned out very well. A 35" tire on a steel wheel is heavy but with the storage box being ramped at that spare, it works very well. This method would work well with or without a shell but obviously not with a slide in camper.

52ykac.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier