Storing propane cylinders inside enclosed spaces

rnArmy

Adventurer
I know I keep those green one-pound propane cylinders inside my little enclosed trailer. But does anyone store their larger propane tanks inside their trailer?
I've seen folks mount the five-pound tanks outside their trailers (the size I'm thinking of), but I'm thinking I'd rather keep it away from the elements (and I'm running out of space to put things on the outside of my trailer - to mount it outside it would go where the Canadian flag thing is attached). Thoughts?drive_13.jpg

Last edited:

tanuki.himself

My understanding is that its dangerous to keep them in enclosed spaces which are occupied by humans in case of leakage and asphyxiation - vehicles you may be driving in, or trailers you may be sleeping in. As your trailer doesn't look big enough to actually inhabit, i think you should be OK. My Oz 5th wheel had them in a locker inside the walls/frame, but which was sealed off from the rest of the interior and had a small vent in the floor so that any escaping gas could dissipate to the outside

Coachgeo

Explorer
propane is heavier than air... My understanding is it by law MUST be vented at bottom to outside if enclosed and air/gas tight separated from quarters

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, many people just take their chances, but should not be carried in the same airspace a people.

Box sealed from the living space vented out / near the bottom to the outside.

Make sure very well secured do not become projectiles in a major collision.

Autogas style under the chassis works.

There are also toroidal tanks that fit in a spare tire spot.

perterra

Adventurer
Everybody goes someday, why not go in a ball of flames.

I'd mount it outside, I cant think of a single benefit of mounting inside

No Ma

Wonderer
We carried an 11lb or a 20lb propane tank in the enclosed area of an Adventure Trailers Chaser for several years. That's a pretty well sealed cargo area only. The likelihood of problems in doing that seem pretty low to me. There aren't any obvious ignition sources in that enclosed area (at least in our build... no lights or other electrics). If you load up a larger propane tank in the inside of a cargo area, are you going to load a leaking cylinder? And not open the storage area for a while? Now... if you're doing hard core trails and have it packed so that the bottle can bang around a lot on other solid objects, I'd be much more cautious. But we did a lot of bouncing, off-camber, rebounding, type of travel and never had an issue. Honestly, given the configuration of our old Chaser and my general caution with propane tanks, I never gave it a second thought. This is just based on OUR experiences only... your mileage WILL vary.

CampStewart

Observer
If you look at how many millions of propane tanks that there are in this country and the number of mishaps the odds of something bad happening are literally several million to one. Having it inside a heated trailer will be beneficial in temps under 25 degrees.

perterra

Adventurer
We carried an 11lb or a 20lb propane tank in the enclosed area of an Adventure Trailers Chaser for several years. That's a pretty well sealed cargo area only. The likelihood of problems in doing that seem pretty low to me. There aren't any obvious ignition sources in that enclosed area (at least in our build... no lights or other electrics). If you load up a larger propane tank in the inside of a cargo area, are you going to load a leaking cylinder? And not open the storage area for a while? Now... if you're doing hard core trails and have it packed so that the bottle can bang around a lot on other solid objects, I'd be much more cautious. But we did a lot of bouncing, off-camber, rebounding, type of travel and never had an issue. Honestly, given the configuration of our old Chaser and my general caution with propane tanks, I never gave it a second thought. This is just based on OUR experiences only... your mileage WILL vary.

I dont think the problem would be leaking cylinder as much as having a cylinder safety fail or having the overfill protection device be faulty. If you dont have the 20 % head space in the cylinder as the tank warms up you could have a safety fail and then you get an uncontrolled flow of gas. I dont look at safety so much as what is likely, as I do in a worst case scenario. Chances are you're fine, should something go hay wire, it could change your life.

I dont see an advantage to storing inside, but it is the choice of each of us to be aware of the ramifications of our actions

john61ct

Adventurer
Leaking is one issue.

When full and gets hot, they are designed to vent.

Sure can be done take your chances, but making a proper box is neither expensive nor difficult.

mezmochill

Is outside
Yea many full timers build sealed and vented boxes for 20 lb tanks. Imo its safe if its sealed and vented properly.

Insurance may say otherwise.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I know I keep those green one-pound propane cylinders inside my little enclosed trailer. But does anyone store their larger propane tanks inside their trailer?
I've seen folks mount the five-pound tanks outside their trailers (the size I'm thinking of), but I'm thinking I'd rather keep it away from the elements (and I'm running out of space to put things on the outside of my trailer - to mount it outside it would go where the Canadian flag thing is attached). Thoughts?View attachment 456848
Nice Jeep !

We have a 4x6 trailer everything is stored inside including the 11lb propane tank beacause of crackhead thieves.... I'm not taking any chances. Propane tanks have a manual valve, check valve and as long they are no connected to a stove etc I don't see the big deal. Your trailer looks to be aluminum like ours so internal heat is not going to be a problem for storage.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Are you traveling to LA central? are there lots of thieves in WV? I can see attaching the tank while you travel and taking it off when home to avoid exposing it to the elements. Wouldn't covering it solve the exposure issue? They can be painted. Put it horizontal over the fender.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Are you traveling to LA central? are there lots of thieves in WV? I can see attaching the tank while you travel and taking it off when home to avoid exposing it to the elements. Wouldn't covering it solve the exposure issue? They can be painted. Put it horizontal over the fender.

??? Horizontal over the fender isn't a bad idea, it would add cool points but for me I just throw it inside and forget about it #keepcampingsimple

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-the-opioid-epidemic-is-so-bad-in-west-virginia-2016-4

Highest overdose rate in America equals a need to support their habit which equals thieves.... now if they would just let them die when they overdosed instead of popping Narcan like candy then the problem would work its self out but that's a whole different topic LoL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne