Storing Fuel Cans in Enclosed Roof Cargo Box

krick3tt

Adventurer
I use the Nato type cans, they do not leak no matter which way they are mounted. I used to carry them on the roof rack but no longer. Just too heavy to be lowering down to use or lifting them up to store. I would not carry them inside even if the chance of leaking is not an issue.
I have eight of them and used to carry six in my little HF trailer for my thousands of mile trips with two strapped to the side over the fenders.
I have thought of the rotopax but have an investment in the Nato cans and getting rid of them to carry the rotopax seems a bit expensive. Besides having to invest in the mounting hardware.
I now just carry two Nato cans under the Rover and with careful monitoring of my fuel gage it seems that 10 gallons is enough spare fuel for the type of trips I now take.
Having them low on the vehicle to help with COG and attached to the LR there seems to be no static problem.

Vinman

Observer
I once spilled a bit of gas inside my 16’x7’ enclosed cargo trailer. After thoroughly cleaning to mess with bleach the fuel smell went away after about 6 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94