Storing Fuel Cans in Enclosed Roof Cargo Box

mr3wan

Observer
Hey Guys,

I was trying to find out if it sounds reasonable or 'ok' to carry extra fuel in a roof top cargo box. Currently I have a Yakima Skybox and will be using it to carry some extra gear on a trip. I have a hitch mounted cargo tray that I normally use but given some of the terrain I am going over I would rather not have the cargo tray attached and having the gas up-top would simplify and streamline everything

I will only be carrying ~ 5 gallons in 2 separate 2.5 gal jugs to help distribute weight. I figure if the cans are leak resistant and the cargo box likely has some air passing through it should probably be slightly vented making it 'ok' but I would like some more educated opinions. In the long run I figure this is much better than having gas cans in the rear of the vehicle itself.

Thanks!

madmax718

Explorer
the heat of the sky box may make the tanks vent. Maybe. Also any gear you have inside of there might smell like gas.

Ramjet

Explorer
I'll have to agree. The build up of fumes could be a hazard, as well as anything in there would probably smell like gas.

vicali

Adventurer
I don't know about yours but our skybox always builds up static.. not a good combo if it's carrying fuel.. :Wow1:

xplrn42

Adventurer
Good point ^^^ I had a buddy lose a brand new WRX wagon because he was carrying a can of fuel in the car and it slid on the carpet and due to static.....ignited. He was ok, car was not.

SOFME

Observer
Strap them down with ratchet straps right on the roof. Use that foam cabinet liner if you're worried about scratches. My .02.

The gas stench on my gear alone is enough reason. Static makes it a no brainer.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
ok cool... Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can go about using my hitch box or the roof itself
Not sure about texas (not legal in Ca.) but if its legal there, I'd opt for the Wedco or other brand of the original Jerry Can style of gas can (not a screw lid). In working condition they don't leak fumes and are available in short 2.5 Gal sizes.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you don't mind spending the money, you could also look at RotoPax. I have been using 2 x 3 gallong Rotopax cans for a couple of years and am very happy with them. They are extremely rugged, don't leak a drop and are flat, which makes them easy to mount. They come in a variety of sizes from 1 to 4 gallons.

Cheap, they aren't. My 3 gallon cans were $80/each at 4wp. But they work, and they don't leak. There are a number of custom carrying solutions but honestly, I just ratchet strap them to the roof rack.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I don't know about yours but our skybox always builds up static.. not a good combo if it's carrying fuel.. :Wow1:

If a plastic or fiberglass roof top carrier builds up static, won't a plastic fuel can do so as well?

I assume a metal gas can will not if it is grounded to the vehicle bodywork.

Jim

Jim

SmoothLC

Explorer
If you don't mind spending the money, you could also look at RotoPax. I have been using 2 x 3 gallong Rotopax cans for a couple of years and am very happy with them. They are extremely rugged, don't leak a drop and are flat, which makes them easy to mount. They come in a variety of sizes from 1 to 4 gallons.

Cheap, they aren't. My 3 gallon cans were $80/each at 4wp. But they work, and they don't leak. There are a number of custom carrying solutions but honestly, I just ratchet strap them to the roof rack.

If you can get them on sale, Rotopax makes a good product. Never had any problems with leaks, etc.

attachment.php

clarence2

So, were I to fill my RotopaXs to only 75% and vent every day, they should then be OK to carry in my roof top box?

Since they don't leak or vent, there should be no fumes to static electricity ignite or smell to permeate gear, yes?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If a plastic or fiberglass roof top carrier builds up static, won't a plastic fuel can do so as well?

I assume a metal gas can will not if it is grounded to the vehicle bodywork.
Plastic can be conductive and in that case it's no different than metal. There's no reason to distrust it for fuel. The way food wrap or styrofoam cups are made is nothing like how Scepter makes plastic fuel cans (and those meet every NATO requirement) or all the OEM vehicle fuel tanks. What's important is that the can is intended to carry fuel and doesn't leak, so buy a quality can no matter what material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles