Storing an LR3

krick3tt

Adventurer
I want to travel for six months and have my LR3 for use when I return.
What steps do I take to have it function to use it when I return to the US? What needs to be done to properly store it?

billiebob

Pull out the battery, put it on a piece of wood, not concrete.
I'd check with Land Rover, make sure the computers can survive a lack of power for 6 months.
Some people connect a battery maintainer, trickle charger.

I'd also jack it and set it on blocks, but thats just me.
Do a full service when you return.

Last edited:

gabrielef

Pull out the battery, put it on a piece of wood, not concrete.
I'd check with Land Rover, make sure the computers can survive a lack of power for 6 months.
Some people connect a battery maintainer, trickle charger.

I'd also jack it and set it on blocks, but thats just me.
Do a full service when you return.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Generally speaking 6 months isn't a long time for a modern vehicle to sit and then be used upon return. We live up the hill from Boulder and have several vehicles that may sit for a year before being used again with no problems. (applies to both indoor and outdoor storage) Prior to either winter or summer storage I'll add some fuel stabilizer (run engine till it can make it to the carb/injectors), change the engine oil/filter, check all the fluid levels, air up the tires and add a battery tender. Done. A 9 months to a year later, check all the fluids and and they fire right up.

Have a great trip!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I agree with just adding a battery tender. Be sure it has a full tank of gas. My biggest concern would be mice chewing up wires and more. I would install a mouse blocker. But I have one running in my truck 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOUGE

I have a different reliable British car in storage, a Lotus. It is stored for a lot longer than 6 months. It's back in Australia while I am here working in the US. It gets driven when ever I get a chance to go back, which before covid was once a year.

-It is on a battery tender, mainly for insurance reasons so the alarm/immobilizer still works.
-Fresh fluids every year. It runs DOT5 brake fluid so that needs to be changed as it absorbs water and eats rubber.
-It is sitting on really old tyres not to flat spot good ones.
-Desiccant dehumidifier(DampRid) containers on the interior to stop mold/mildew growing in humid summers.
-If possible I have someone check it every few months, start it, pump the brakes, check for leaks.

It's been almost 4 years now and always starts and runs perfectly after sitting for a year.

I also travel a lot for work and my old LR3 and now LR4 use to sit for 4-10 weeks at the time and always been fine. Only once it had a flat battery and just used a battery booster to jump start and it was all good.

Worms

All good advice above - although I remain to be convinced that it is good for the suspension to sit for prolonged periods at its fullest extension. I used to keep an old Saab 99 in UK, that I used for four weeks at a time each summer. All I ever did was jump-start it, using the hire car from the airport, and drive away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne